Xavier Dolan

Started by Robyn, February 20, 2012, 08:54:25 AM

jenkins

the reviews of Matthias & Maxime excite me. it's just adorable to witness critics grapple with the entire idea of Xavier Dolan. what is with this hilarious combo: they can't help but see him, and yet they question his achievement. that's rich irony. it sounds like this one will make its way out of the festival at last

wilder

Xavier Dolan Reportedly Directing A New Limited TV Series Based On A Michel Marc Bouchard Play
via The Playlist

Fresh off the successful festival run of his recent drama, "Matthias & Maxime," filmmaker Xavier Dolan isn't stopping anytime soon. Though he's said that he'd like to take a break from directing in the future, to focus on his acting, it appears that his next project once again sees Dolan step behind the camera. Albeit, this time he's not making a big-screen production.

According to La Presse, Dolan's next project is reportedly a TV adaptation of the popular play, "La nuit où Laurier Gaudreault s'est réveillé" from playwright Michel Marc Bouchard. The project is expected to be a limited series that Dolan will write and direct, though it's unclear which platform or network(s) will distribute.

"La nuit où Laurier Gaudreault s'est réveillé" tells the story of Mirielle, a thanatologist that comes back for the embalming of her dead mother. Upon arrival, her friends and family gather and drama unfolds. The play features plenty of twists and turns, with some creepy revelations coming about the main character's dark past.

This isn't the first time that Dolan has adapted a play from Bouchard. The playwright's 2011 work, "Tom at the Farm," was later turned into a feature film by Dolan that was released in 2013. That film debuted at Venice and went on to earn the coveted FIPRESCI Prize at the festival.

wilder

In October of 1991, an unspeakable event rocks a small town in Quebec, haunting a family who tries to hide their dark secret. Thirty years later these secrets resurface, sending the family on an unstoppable pursuit of reconciliation.

WorldForgot

From an interview in spanish with EL Pais

QuoteI give up filmmaking and directing", he says by video call about his unexpected early retirement. "I no longer have the desire or strength to commit myself to a project for two years and then hardly anyone sees it. I put too much passion into it to take so many disappointments. It makes me wonder if my cinema is bad, and I know that it is not.

[...]
Despite the international renown of this auteur, [his latest wor]) will only be seen in four countries: his native Canada, France, Japan and Spain. "Why hasn't anyone else bought it? For being shot in French, for only having five episodes? ", he wonders. "I have not earned anything with the series, I invested my salary in the production and my father had to lend me money. It is a very thankless process, I am tired and discouraged. The simplest solution is to direct publicity and build me a house in the country

Hayao Miyazaki says that making movies only gives you suffering. I confirm it"

Quote"Renuncio al cine y a dirigir", dice por videollamada sobre su inesperada prejubilación. "Ya no tengo ganas ni fuerza para comprometerme dos años con un proyecto y que luego no lo vea casi nadie. Le pongo demasiada pasión para llevarme tantas decepciones. Me hace preguntarme si mi cine es malo, y sé que no lo es".

[...]
Pese al renombre internacional de su autor, solo se verá en cuatro países: su Canadá natal, Francia, Japón y España. "¿Por qué nadie más la ha comprado? ¿Por estar rodada en francés, por tener solo cinco episodios?", se pregunta. "No he ganado nada con la serie, invertí mi sueldo en la producción y mi padre me tuvo que prestar dinero. Es un proceso muy ingrato, estoy cansado y desanimado. La solución más sencilla es dirigir publicidad y construirme una casa en el campo

Hayao Miyazaki dice que hace cine solo te da sufrimiento. Lo confirmo"

wilder

Quote from: wilder on December 30, 2022, 05:47:07 AM

In October of 1991, an unspeakable event rocks a small town in Quebec, haunting a family who tries to hide their dark secret. Thirty years later these secrets resurface, sending the family on an unstoppable pursuit of reconciliation.

Currently on Netflix