Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: godardianWell, I like it better than the current Radiohead stuff.

Morrissey has warped your mind. Curse you, Godardian!

There's no possible way I can deny that...  :)  He is such a hero to me. I say that in all embarrassing earnestness. And he did call a couple of currently very popular "alternative" rock bands "Oldplay and Radiodead," though I like to think I'm not some kind of mindless Morrissey clone or anything.  

You'll be happy to know that R-head is held up at length as a shining example of creative people trying to escape/undermine "The Middle Mind" in the book I'm reading right now.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianAnd he did call a couple of currently very popular "alternative" rock bands "Oldplay and Radiodead,"

Before this moment, I was considering buying a Morrissey album.

SoNowThen

Thom Yorke and the rest of the British bands I like have to chill out over the politics, shut the fuck up, and get back to JUST PLAYING MUSIC. Wanna be a politican, then be one. But I think you'd do much better at just musician.

I used to love Coldplay, but Liam Gallagher had it right when he said Chris Martin sounds like a whiny fucking university student. Wash off yer hand Chris, and just play the piano.

At least Radiohead put out a great new album. Fuck.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SoNowThenThom Yorke and the rest of the British bands I like have to chill out over the politics, shut the fuck up, and get back to JUST PLAYING MUSIC.

Don't you think the music and the politics can be one in the same, especially with HTTT?

SoNowThen

How did I know you'd reply, JB?   :)

Everytime I get an album with one of these anti-Bush themes interwoven into it, I just tune it out.

Like certain sexual ambiguities in certain Bowie records, I just enjoy the record without bowing to the message.

But to answer your question, no, not really. If I can tell that it's political, then the message isn't subtle enough, hence I'm being preached to, and that's not cool.

A lot of folks got pissed at Dylan when he converted and did all those on the nose Christian records. I of course totally dig them, but I'm biased. At least I can recognize that. I wouldn't expect those ones to sell very good.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

Quote from: SoNowThenHow did I know you'd reply, JB?   :)

Everytime I get an album with one of these anti-Bush themes interwoven into it, I just tune it out.

Like certain sexual ambiguities in certain Bowie records, I just enjoy the record without bowing to the message.

But to answer your question, no, not really. If I can tell that it's political, then the message isn't subtle enough, hence I'm being preached to, and that's not cool.

A lot of folks got pissed at Dylan when he converted and did all those on the nose Christian records. I of course totally dig them, but I'm biased. At least I can recognize that. I wouldn't expect those ones to sell very good.

I disagree, for music to go that extra step, I think it has to have it's heart in something.  Music, just for the sake of music, is lacking.  If you have some intention in that music, be it political, social, sexual, etc. it means that much more.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

classical gas

singer/songwriters can only write about what they think and feel; so if they have politics on the mind, then they're entitled to write about it.  but i'll agree that it shouldn't be overbearing.

SoNowThen

I didn't say it shouldn't have intention. I want lyrics to be about something more than one stupid love song idea. But I don't wanna be treated like a three year old who has to be taken by the hand and told who to vote for. Then you're making propaganda records. I'm not saying Radiohead does this. I think for the most part they integrate pretty well. But interview after fucking interview of this blather. Talk about how you got the guitar sound, talk about the recording studio, talk about music for fuck's sakes!!!

You wouldn't go to a jeweller for dental advice would you? When I hear Thom talk, I wish he would talk about that which he is so brilliant: music.

Sleuth

I think Thom gets too much credit...

What do you all think of Coldplay?  Aside from "Clocks" I don't like them
I like to hug dogs

classical gas

SHAFTR

Quote from: SoNowThenI didn't say it shouldn't have intention. I want lyrics to be about something more than one stupid love song idea. But I don't wanna be treated like a three year old who has to be taken by the hand and told who to vote for. Then you're making propaganda records. I'm not saying Radiohead does this. I think for the most part they integrate pretty well. But interview after fucking interview of this blather. Talk about how you got the guitar sound, talk about the recording studio, talk about music for fuck's sakes!!!

You wouldn't go to a jeweller for dental advice would you? When I hear Thom talk, I wish he would talk about that which he is so brilliant: music.

I could care less about what he says in interviews.  I thought you were just talking about the music.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Quote from: SlobhI think Thom gets too much credit...

What do you all think of Coldplay?  Aside from "Clocks" I don't like them

They haven't recorded a bad song yet.

I think their music is amazing. But again, I don't ever wanna hear them talk, or read any interviews with them.

I hope their new album isn't full of "I Love Gwyneth" songs.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SoNowThenIf I can tell that it's political, then the message isn't subtle enough, hence I'm being preached to, and that's not cool.

Art can be at its best when it has wider meaning or social commentary. Think of the most famous and enduring art, and it's usually just that.

And in the music, Radiohead's politics are extremely subtle.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanArt can be at its best when it has wider meaning or social commentary. Think of the most famous and enduring art, and it's usually just that.

And in the music, Radiohead's politics are extremely subtle.

I will disagree in the most extreme (but unagressive) way. My whole existence doing movies will be dedicated to work that is anything but political or socially conscious. I truly don't like that sort of thing. That doesn't mean I won't watch or enjoy it sometimes (I love the movie Z, but obviously find it to be extremely biased, yet that doesn't hurt my enjoyment of it on a technical level).

I'd have to say that PTA, Fellini (despite some protests), and Kubrick are fairly non-political.

Oh, but I do agree that Radiohead has so far been quite witty and subtle about their stuff (in music).

classical gas