Ray

Started by MacGuffin, July 26, 2004, 04:51:12 PM

samsong

Quote from: Hedwig
Quote from: GhostboyI saw it the other night and it falls in the 'really good biopic that's still just a biopic' category. The performances are stellar, of course, and the music rocks. Jamie Foxx is great and will most likely win an Oscar (although there are certainly better male performances this year, including, perhaps, his own in Collateral). There were a few scenes where you could tell it was the real Ray Charles' voice coming out of his mouth, but those musical scenes are so fantastically executed that it doesn't really matter, and he's really playing the piano and that's impressive all by itself. The supporting cast was also really good, and Warwick Davis got a good chance to shine.

So yeah, good biopic, will make lots of money, etc. About what you expect from the trailer.

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider a "Really GREAT biopic that surpasses biopic-ness"?

I choose: Monster.

Raging Bull for me.

SHAFTR

Terminator 2: Judgement Day is my favorite biopic.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Stefen

Garden State
Clerks
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ghostboy

Quote from: ono.Monster?  Feh.  Try these:

Mr. Death, the Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr.
Crumb
American Splendor
The Kid Stays in the Picture

Documentaries don't count as biopics...although, I guess they technically are biographical pictures. Whatev.

It's not the best, but it's one of my faves: Ed Wood.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

spoilers?

I was way more interested in his music than his struggle with drugs or his extra-marital affairs.  I guess you really can't separate the three, but I really wish it didn't climax with him getting out of the rehab.
it has some of the best-shot musical sequences though.  the chicago people should just kill themselves either samurai style or lemming style.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

I saw this the other day. As GB and pete said, really good stuff here. I don't see how the Academy will vote against Jamie Foxx. He embodies the role of Ray Charles and he is surely a lock to be handed the Oscar. Whether we want it or not.

The ending made me laugh. The words that came onto the screen "he never touched heroin again".. I laughed pretty hard because all I could picture was another line appearing that said: "Well... almost never...." and fade to black.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

Haha, I was waiting for that.

modage

Quote from: CinephileThe ending made me laugh. The words that came onto the screen "he never touched heroin again".. I laughed pretty hard because all I could picture was another line appearing that said: "Well... almost never...." and fade to black.
hahah!   now i want to see this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Universal has announced the DVD release of Ray for 2/1 (SRP $29.98 ). Video will be anamorphic with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. No word yet on extras. There will also be a 2-disc Ray: Limited Edition (SRP $44.98 ) that same day.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

MSRP $44.98  :shock:

Stefen

Thats for the special edition ravi, what the fuck? You think they are just gonna release one version? I'm actually suprised they are releasing the super duper edition on the same day.

Ravi

I know its for the SE, but so damn expensive.  Hell, most Criterion 2-discs are $39.95.  These had better be some damn good extras.