PRIMER

Started by cowboykurtis, January 26, 2004, 08:24:16 PM

cine

Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=5625&n=1&burl=
Anyone catch the typo on the cover yet?

matt35mm

modage

saw this tonite.  facinating and confounding.  it was interesting because it reminded me of what i think soderberghs low budget films might be like.   i really need to watch it again, or have someone explain it to me like an idiot just to make sure i get it all. but, thats good.  it looked great, too.  it can be done.  it kind of reminded me of Pi, as in this guy could really be someone to look out for.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

Yeah, it's pretty cool, I need to see this again too-- at least just for the small things like the 'birds' in the attic.  Several times I felt completely disoriented, but because it's so obvious that Carruth knows what the hell he's doing/talking about, I don't care.  There's nothing more exciting then being dragged along by a director who has the answers and it's up to you whether or not you catch up.

Gamblour.

Agreed. For me, this is one of the most inspirational movies I've ever seen. What a triumph of independent filmmaking, and even moreso, a triumph of intelligent sci-fi.
WWPTAD?

cine

well since its been revived again, i guess i'll tell my little story..

bethie and i went to ebert's overlooked film festival last weekend and saw this. i had seen it several months ago but bethie hadn't. shane did a little Q&A with ebert right after the showing. as he was with GB's interview and virtually everyone else's, he was pretty floored by any praise given to him. ebert also referenced mamet (you were first, GB) and he was pretty appreciative of all his praise since ebert compared him to scorsese when he made his first film and mike leigh's.

bethie and i met shane after and i told him he was disgustingly modest and was clearly pretty brilliant. i asked how he felt being compared to scorsese, leigh and kubrick with their debut pictures and he said he was pretty intimidated and worried he'd disappoint people with his future films. bethie proposed he stop making films. i asked about the title of the film and he went on to explain the various meanings and how he originally referred to it with a short 'i' sound instead of a long 'i' sound. but nobody knew how to spell the movie until he pronounced it the way it is now.

i asked more about individual scenes and other things, then asked about his next project. he said hes writing a screenplay that centers around religion that would feature all children acting. i asked him more about that then we thought we were taking up too much of his time so bethie and i got a picture with him and decided to take off.

we had some stranger take the picture for us.. my digital camera has a bright red light that appears before you take the picture so i said "shane, just pretend the red light is Hal" he got a little kick out of that. then as we were leaving, i shook his hand then bethie did and she asked "how old are you?" and shane said "32" and then we left. shane probably thought she was hitting on him. she probably was. i didnt talk to her for the rest of the trip.

tpfkabi

according to the film's site, the dvd was released the 19th. i haven't seen it anywhere, but then again i have not looked for it either.

apparently the director didn't even get to see the actual dvd before it was released:

http://primermovie.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=415
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Chrisdarko

I was at the premier of the film in Dallas and went to the Deep Ellum Film Festival. I know Alot of you guys are from Texas did anyone catch the round table disscusion with Shane Carruth David Gordon green Allison anders and the tarnation guy.

I found it really intresting Shane addressed The Peter Biskind book and winning Sundance which was worth the price of admission right there

Gamblour.

Well what did he say about Biskind's book?
WWPTAD?

meatball

Who here is from Texas?

NEON MERCURY

RK, ghostboy, and big ideas, and george bush are from texas that i know of........

as for primer i saw it yesterday and it made me feel stupid....please someone help me understand this film.....please..pleaase..

Chrisdarko

Well he said that he hoped he didn't win beacuse of the book. That he could only make the best movie that he thought possible and that he couldn't help what others did.

Did you know he edited it on Adobe Premiere? thats one of the reason it only cost 7k and he did he's own music and ADR'd it himself as well

Ghostboy

Quote from: Chrisdarkodid anyone catch the round table disscusion with Shane Carruth David Gordon green Allison anders and the tarnation guy.

I was there, actually.

Chrisdarko

What did you think?

Ravi

Quote from: MeatWho here is from Texas?

I and Stephen Tobolowsky.