THX-1138: The Special Edition

Started by Ghostboy, March 09, 2004, 01:00:42 AM

Ghostboy

George has done it again!

From the Digital Bits:

Here's a bit of info from industry sources that's likely to get the  undies of some fans all in a bunch. Word is that George Lucas' THX-1139,  which is currently being prepared for DVD release later in 2004 by Lucasfilm and Warner Bros, is going to feature more than 100 new  visual effects shots. Look for digitally-enhanced skylines and other  additions and alterations.

SiliasRuby

That's Great to hear
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SHAFTR

ughh, Lucas.  Why does he always do this?  Wait until American Graffiti gets re-released with added spaceships.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ghostboy

American Grafitti did have digitally enhanced sunsets, but you'd never know it unless you watched the (great) documentary on the disc.

cine

Quote from: SHAFTRughh, Lucas.  Why does he always do this?  
Because he has this filmmaking disorder where he always has to continue adding to his films.

Pwaybloe

Great movie.  Just getting a release to home video is good enough for me.

Fun Fact: This movie almost bankrupted American Zoetrope before the Godfather films came out.

BrainSushi

oooh, THX-1138 with added Rontos and Dewbacks.

grand theft sparrow

modage

THX 1138 Director's Cut Coming to Theaters & DVD
Source: Lucasfilm Friday, May 21, 2004

In 1971, a visionary filmmaker named George Lucas created a chillingly prescient look at a disturbing future world as his feature film debut. Years ahead of its time, THX 1138 has since attracted a strong following, with its cutting edge visual and sound experience, and provocative and resounding messages.

"We wanted to make a different kind of film, and I hope when audiences see it today, they will find it to be as intriguing as we envisioned," says Lucas. The film stars Robert Duvall, and is produced by Francis Ford Coppola and his revolutionary American Zoetrope studios.

This fall, this debut film will return as THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut. It will come to theaters as a special limited engagement, and then to DVD.

On September 14, Warner Home Video and American Zoetrope will make available "The George Lucas Director's Cut" DVD release. The Two-Disc Collector's Set features the film meticulously restored and a second disc filled with new and classic bonus material. For "Star Wars" fans, it's the perfect prelude to the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set due out on September 21.

Preceding the DVD release, on September 10, a 20-city theatrical release of the film is planned, including Ann Arbor, MI; Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Chicago, IL; Los Angeles, CA; Minneapolis, MN; New York, NY; Philadelphia, PA; San Francisco, CA: Seattle, WA; Portland, OR, and others.

The DVD includes the hour-long documentary, "A Legacy of Filmmakers: The Early Years of American Zoetrope". It examines the independent film movement of the 1970s -- the world in which THX 1138 was born. It features new interviews with Lucas, Murch, Coppola, Duvall, Martin Scorsese, John Milius, Matthew Robbins, Caleb Deschanel and others who helped build American Zoetrope. The new 30-minute documentary "Artifact of the Future" goes behind the scenes on the making of THX 1138.

Classic material includes the original production featurette, "Bald," George Lucas' award-winning USC student film "Electronic Labyrinth THX 1138 4EB," and the original theatrical trailer for the feature film.

The DVD set includes an audio commentary track by George Lucas and Co-Writer and Sound Designer Walter Murch. There is also the "Theater of Noise," an audio-only track, which explores the incredibly rich sound world provided by Murch, with branching video showing the development of the sound design.

THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut is presented in widescreen format, with Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

RegularKarate

cool... with that really be the box?

Ghostboy

That's a really beautiful cover.

And the new trailer is really beautiful too -- except for that shot of the robot factory that just reeks of bad ILM CG. The other CG shots in the trailer were more or less subtle (I liked the undressed robot walking through the background of the police locker room -- very well done), and unobstructive, and if the movie doesn't contain too much more than that, it shouldn't be too distracting.

matt35mm

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE SILVER LINING IN EVERY DARK CLOUD???

Just kidding.  We love you, GB.

mutinyco

Why don't you wait to see it before you judge it?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe