Heroes

Started by grand theft sparrow, September 25, 2006, 08:37:06 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ravi on October 09, 2006, 09:11:29 PM
The Japanese guy's story is still the most interesting.

Quote from: othersparrow on October 10, 2006, 08:48:00 AM
The Japanese guy is the ONLY interesting part; I wish he had his own show.

That's because he's the only character who fully realizes his power, and uses it in a "comic book" way. Meaning that he understands the power and knows what he must do with it. The other characters have storylines that are unnecessary to the overall story arc; like the brother's campaign, date rape, etc. What does all that have to do with the destiny of these people? I think there's a reason NBC.com can give 2 minute show recaps.

Instead, why not explore how they got these powers? Gift/curse Spiderman-type storylines?

Quote from: othersparrow on October 10, 2006, 08:48:00 AMI turned off this episode when the Fake Sayid threw his laptop across the room and found a journal in it. 

Then you missed the part when fake Sayid just so happened to accidentially bump into the "hidden" door that lead to a secret area.

I'm only really watching it now because there's nothing else on at that time, so I have one eye on it and another on my book.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 10, 2006, 10:21:50 PM
I'm only really watching it now because there's nothing else on at that time, so I have one eye on it and another on my book.

grand theft sparrow

I think there's a reason NBC.com can give 2 minute show recaps.

That's still less disturbing than the fact that by episode 3, they're still putting the characters' names on screen when they first appear in the episode because even the show knows we don't know their names yet.

Quote from: othersparrow on October 10, 2006, 08:48:00 AMI turned off this episode when the Fake Sayid threw his laptop across the room and found a journal in it. 

Then you missed the part when fake Sayid just so happened to accidentially bump into the "hidden" door that lead to a secret area.

If the first thing hadn't made me turn it off, that would have. 

Despite all of this, I still want to like the show.  Maybe it will be a big enough hit that 20 years from now, someone will direct a great remake of it.

Kal

I thought last episode was really good... finally the characters mixing up...

hiro in vegas was great...

anybody following this anymore?

Kal

nobody here watching this anymore?

I just finished watching the last 3 episodes since it started back and I think the writers are doing an amazing job putting all the stories together. It seems like they start answering some questions but there are many new ones coming up, and new characters.

Considering that 'hero' stories have been done in so many ways, this show is very original so far in the way it tells the story.

polkablues

Still watch it.  Still dig it.  Love Christopher Eccleston.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

I gave up when everyone kept saying "Save The Cheerleader, Save The World" with a straight face. And it felt like they spent way too much time on Ali Larter's character, and I can't take Clea DuVall seriously as a detective.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 12, 2007, 01:02:03 AM
I gave up when everyone kept saying "Save The Cheerleader, Save The World" with a straight face.

I kind of like how goofy it all is, though.  It's very much as if you were to take a comic book and adapt it directly to television without worrying about whether or not a comic book actually works on television.  The whole thing is trying to be so sincere and weighty, but it comes off as endearingly silly, which I'm enjoying.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Kal

The whole Ali Larter thing also bothers me, but I think there is a clear path to where that is going. She is not a 'hero' so far after all.

The son is also going to develop into a cool character now that starts using his powers.

The "Save the Cheerleader" line was not that bad. I hated the "Are you on the list?" thing more.

grand theft sparrow

Have they come to terms with their powers and actually done something substantial with them yet?  Or are they still dicking around in the discovery stage?  In any case, if you and polka are still digging the show by the time the season finale comes around, I'll put season 1 on my netflix queue.

Kal

Some of those questions have been answered, including where the story is going (kinda). The characters are also connecting more somehow making their purpose more clear. However, some are still exploring their powers and even though they know what they can do, its not clear how will that have to do with the story. The thing is, and for what I read, they really thought the story well before they started so its not that they are just figuring out along the way.

Kal

Anybody seen tonights episode? Fucking awesome.

Raikus

They really nailed it last night. It was the first completely good episode I've seen. No crappy dialogue or wasted story. Just tight, touching and damn good.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pwaybloe

Yeah, with the exception that everyone in a 2 mile radius should be dying of radiation poisoning. 

Anyway.  I hate this show.  My wife makes me watch this, seriously. 

Gamblour.

Yeah, my biggest complaint is that the radioactive character should be sending everyone to radiology, but nope, no one is concerned. Also, Ali Larter's storyline is boring.

Other than that, I really do enjoy it. I don't get into it like other shows, but it's quite entertaining.
WWPTAD?