Takeshi Kitano

Started by (kelvin), April 14, 2003, 07:25:44 AM

rustinglass

I think there is a some of kitano in kill bill: when hanzo yells at the kid, for example.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

(kelvin)

Quote from: rustinglassI think there is a some of kitano in kill bill: when hanzo yells at the kid, for example.

Yes, I discovered a lot of elements that Tarantino "borrowed" from the new japanese cinema, also a lot from Miike, for instance. Though I didn't like Kill Bill at all, but that is another issue.

PS: you can watch the trailer for Zatoichi at http://office-kitano.co.jp/zatoichi/trailer_main.html

rustinglass

Quote from: chriskelvinThough I didn't like Kill Bill at all, but that is another issue.

:cry: first my sister, now you...how worse can it get?!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: rustinglass
Quote from: chriskelvinThough I didn't like Kill Bill at all, but that is another issue.

Kusturica saying Kill Bill is a pile of shit. Would that be bad enough for you?  :wink:
Si

(kelvin)

Well, if I can comfort you: my sister liked it a lot...almost everyone liked it a lot. I don't understand that.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: chriskelvin

Well, if I can comfort you: my sister liked it a lot...almost everyone liked it a lot. I don't understand that.

But Kill Bill is soooooo great. As is Kitano and his films. Dolls stands as one of the best movies I've seen this year. Greatly directed and performed, it just broke my heart at times. I think it's a very violent film, not in the traditional Kitano way, but more on an emotional level. It's great and it's my favourite Takeshi Kitano film so far.
Si

rustinglass

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum
Kusturica saying Kill Bill is a pile of shit. Would that be bad enough for you?  :wink:

FUCK!
:evil:

actually, I'm not surprised at that....but it hurts like hell.

chris, that does confort me...how old is your sister? :wink:
-Emir Kusturica

(kelvin)

chris, that does confort me...how old is your sister? :wink:

easy, rustinglass...keep your distance...  :x

rustinglass

I saw dolls yesterday.
Though it was very good, I was expecting more from the reviews that I had read here.
Photography is excelent, it is, visually, the years' most beautiful film.

What was missing was, I think, the kitano dark humour and graphic violence (because it was really violent emotionally). I sure hope that kitano hasn't matured that much
-Emir Kusturica

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: rustinglassI sure hope that kitano hasn't matured that much

He hasn't. I think his next film is quite the opposite of Dolls. How's it called? Zatoi... Zay... Err... Too lazy to check IMDB   :?
Si

rustinglass

It's Zatoichi and the trailer kicks fucking ass!
-Emir Kusturica

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: rustinglassIt's Zatoichi and the trailer kicks fucking ass!

Gonna go check out the trailer right now.
Si

Pubrick

so i guess no one's seen kikujiro no natsu?

it's totally in his top 3. hella poignant.
under the paving stones.

rustinglass

Well, I'm going to buy a kitano dvd box set: hana-bi; kikujiro and brother.
Do you consider that to be his top three.
-Emir Kusturica

Pubrick

Quote from: rustinglassWell, I'm going to buy a kitano dvd box set: hana-bi; kikujiro and brother.
Do you consider that to be his top three.
mmm, nah. Brother isn't so great.
under the paving stones.