Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

wilberfan

Quote from: WorldForgot on July 22, 2019, 01:25:06 PM
Quote from: wilberfan on July 22, 2019, 03:31:32 AM
I have so much I want to say about this movie.

Say all the thingz!! Ravenous for your opinion of it ~

OK.  But it's just my opinion.  And it will be the minority opinion.  And I will be pilloried and publicly mocked in the central square.  Eggs and rotten vegetables will be collected and hurled.  My Eiffel Tower hat will be stolen and defecated into.

No specific spoilers, but candid opinion to follow.

Spoiler: ShowHide
I fucking hated this movie.

It draaaaaaged for me.  Scenes play out For. Ever.  Many scenes don't go anywhere.   I liked most of the performances (I thought Leo was fine--and actually liked Brad's character), but it just took forever to get anywhere.  And the anywhere it gets us?

Jesus, God, the third act is such bullshit. 

Belongs to an entirely different movie than this one.  I was incredulous when I saw he was actually going to do it.   

Now, there were moments.  More than one that I really enjoyed.  But individual moments to not make a good movie.    I found Rick's existential crises rather interesting, and would have loved to have seen that played out more intelligently than the third act allowed it to.

Now, to be fair, much of my disgust and disappointment could be due to the insane level of anticipation I had for this thing.  (You'll recall I spent 3 days on the set last summer.)   But I think if I had just awoken from a coma and someone said, "Hey, there's a new Tarantino flick!" , I still would have been disappointed.

I actually had the thought about 2/3rds of the way through, "I'd love to see the 100 minute version of this..."  After seeing the final third, I'd also insist on a new ending.  You know, one that was actually mature and intelligent. 

wilberfan

And the fucking bare feet.  In our faces.  The dirty. disgusting. bare. feet.   Quentin.  I'll start a GoFundMe page if you'd like to see a professional about this.

[edit] On a lighter note, Quentin came out to introduce the film.  Drunk.  And proceeded to warm us up like we were a game show audience.  it was fun seeing him enjoying himself so much (and the crowd loved it)--but it was a bit of an eye-roll for me.   I didn't hold it against him,  but I was just a tiny bit embarrassed for him.

Robyn

Quote from: wilberfan on July 22, 2019, 01:48:55 PM
And the fucking bare feet.  in our faces.  The dirty. disgusting. bare. feet.   Quentin.  I'll start a GoFundMe page if you'd like to see a professional about this.

Feets for reference.

Drenk

I'm actually very excited by what Tarantino described as a "day in the life", the fact that it's, mostly, plotless—but then it can drag for you, so I'm not sure how I'll feel about the movie when it will be released. I'm extremely worried about the third act. I've already written about it. I think it's the most dumb part of his career. But since this movie is about filmaking, it might work for me this time? Don't know.
Ascension.

Alethia

Dirty bare nasty hippy feet fits the time though. Remember Joaquin's in Vice?

QT's living his best life.

wilberfan

Quote from: eward on July 22, 2019, 01:56:09 PM
Dirty bare nasty hippy feet fits the time though. Remember Joaquin's in Vice?

QT's living his best life.

True.  But this was egregious.  And so Tarantino-esque.  Just a raging cliche for him by now.  And didn't serve any purpose.  Doc's mud stompers revealed something about his character. 

Alethia

maybe that added 2.5 mins post-Cannes footage consists entirely of foot b-roll...

wilberfan

Oh, and here's another thing. 

The dude spent a Metric Fuck Ton of somebody's money regressing Hollywood Blvd (and the Dome and the Aquarius, and...) to look like 1969.  I swear to fucking God there's no more than about 18 seconds in the film.  The level of detail on Hollywood Blvd was just enormously impressive.  Stuff that was obvious at the time would never actually be seen. 

But this just feels irresponsible.  Seriously.  Some Heaven's Gate-level shit, here.

Now granted, if we had seen all of it that he shot--the film would be an even bigger slog--so I can't fault him for taking it out, but...

I'm (seriously) looking-forward to a Special Edition blu-ray with all the extra footage, and making-ofs and such.  That would actually be entertaining.

wilberfan

It doesn't change anything, nor will it influence your reaction, but by way of my own defense, I was up till almost 2am last night DM-ing with two other people that were there who were also disappointed.  Not as strongly as mine, but one "Meh", and one "So many missed opportunities..".   (One of them a prominent L.A.-area Insta-er.  He promoted the shit out of it during the filming (and since) because he was so excited about the project, and he confessed to me early this morning that he can't really speak to his disappointment publicly on his feed because many of the people that worked on the film follow him and will probably get their feelings hurt.)

Drenk

It had a "meh" reaction at Cannes. Let's not forget that. It had its champions, and some people do love it, describing the movie as Tarantino's most melancholic movie, but a lot of French spectators on YouTube were underwhelmed.
Ascension.

wilberfan

I think there will be plenty of reactions like this one, though:  [tweet]1153181489191723008[/tweet]

wilberfan

Oh, and the during-the-end-credits scene kind of falls flat, too.

wilberfan

Also from Mr. Hemphill:

QuoteI've seen and loved a lot of movies about movies and the people who make them, but I've never loved one as much as I loved Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood, or seen one that gets it as right. The movie contains all of Quentin Tarantino's usual strengths – rich characterizations and dialogue, a lively engagement with history and pop culture, unpredictable but rock solid plotting, an impeccable sense of framing and cutting – but this time the effects are subtler and looser and more emotionally engaging than ever before. With this, his ninth and best feature, Tarantino's confidence and experience converge with the subject matter he was born to tackle, and the result is an affectionate, cathartic, and heartbreakingly beautiful masterpiece about the dream of the movies.

Source

Drenk

Quote from: wilberfan on July 22, 2019, 02:29:55 PM
I think there will be plenty of reactions like this one, though:  [tweet]1153181489191723008[/tweet]

Twitter has that kind of reaction for The Lion King or Ant-Man and the Wasp.
Ascension.

wilberfan

On the plus side, I guess, I did get one of these.

I think it's made out of aluminium.  A somewhat confused young lady with a briefcase right out of Pulp Fiction handed me one at the door.

Although now that I think about it, it just reminds me of my betrayal at the hands (feet??) of one of my cinematic lovers--so I might end up giving it away.  Possibly even to someone in here.

But, I don't know.  That would mean finding my Eiffel Tower hat, cleaning all the shit off of it, and returning it to me.