Jim Carrey -- WAY too underrated

Started by cine, April 01, 2003, 10:20:30 AM

cine

Jim Carrey is incredibly underrated as an dramatic actor. "The Majestic" did a terrible box office but it was a terrific film. Carrey's performance could've been nominated for Best Actor but no.. the Academy steered away from it.. but we can also thank that on part of the AUDIENCE WHO DIDN'T GO SEE THE FILM IN THEATRES. folks, this is the same director, Darabont, who made "Shawshank Redemption" and "Green Mile", two successful films (not so much SR in box office but when released on video)... why do people snub Carrey when he isn't doing something where he is effortlessly hamming up his colourful character role??

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

mac, y not try redirecting my boot from yo ass, u info posting MUTHER!!!!!!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

you've just made a war u cannot afford....SHUT UP!! SHUT THE FUCK UP!! Shut up! Shut, shut, shut, shut, SHUT UP!!

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Anyway... is anyone here looking forward to "Bruce Almighty?"

Sigur Rós

Damn...I'm tired of Jim Carrey!

By the way on this board I always feel like a child who wanders in in the middle of a movie and wants to know..... :?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Sigur RósBy the way on this board I always feel like a child who wanders in in the middle of a movie and wants to know

that's cos u read too much duck and GT.. sumtimes u have to pick ur battles.. bahhh picolas

Gold Trumpet

I give credit to Carrey for being able to pronuciate all his lines clearly when he does drama and being able to say the lines louder when in a situation of stress and tension and for bringing the confused look perfected in the tv movie of the week back. This is the description of him trying to straight drama, because he never has inhabited a role yet.  His qualities of a comedic actor seem mainly to be him at his most manic in one persona bleeding over all his comedies. But, with Man on the Moon, he incorporated both the manic quality with the pretentious dramatic acting. The thing is, I liked Man on the Moon, The Truman Show and The Majestic. I didn't complement Carrey for bringing the material up, but he kept it afloat at least for the purpose we could still admire all the other qualities of those movies.

~murder, redrum, rougerum (never fucking mad!!!!)

cine

I agree.. and I also think he deserved the nod for MotM and Majestic.. Truman Show was good but I just didn't think he would've deserved a nomination for it

Pwaybloe

Alright, I'm starting to crack a smile.  You admins are nuts, y'know that?

cine

Or as Regis Philbin would say: bonkos.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: CinephileOr as Regis Philbin would say: bonkos.

No, no.  I didn't mean it like that.  The administrators on this board like to have fun with us commoners.

cine

Indeed they do. And Reeg likes to have fun making up words. Fuckin' Reeg.

©brad

don't mess with regis man. he's alright. kathy lee.... man, am I the only one that really really really wants to fuck the shit outta kathy lee gifford?  in the ass

RegularKarate

Quote from: PawbloeAlright, I'm starting to crack a smile.  You admins are nuts, y'know that?
No Shit... I leave for a few weeks and when I come back, they've lost thier minds... I think it's the stress of having me gone all the time... I'm usually like the Mom of the admins... they get upset at eachother and get in little fights and I make them a sandwich and tuck them in for a nap... except for P, who just constantly suckles at my teet.... ( he loves attention.. he's momma's favorite)