To Newbs, introduce yourself.

Started by Xixax, January 08, 2003, 01:13:48 PM

hedwig

i'm still kinda confused by the reference to alan/allen/adam/alin/allan/alen/alien smithee/smithie/smoothie/smithy/smithe/smithers.

polkablues

Alien Smoothie is my favorite director.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pzyktzle

Quote from: Hedwig on April 06, 2007, 01:28:50 AM
i'm still kinda confused by the reference to alan/allen/adam/alin/allan/alen/alien smithee/smithie/smoothie/smithy/smithe/smithers.

what confuses you?

edit: ... and there isn't a smithee appreciation thread on this site :(

pete

hey guys, did you know when they say alan smithie they really mean is a synonym for a director?  sometimes when people ask me who my favorite director is, I sometimes say "alansmithie" and then I chuckle to myself, 'cause they didn't ask me who my favorite directorS (note plural) were, but director.  Lol!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pzyktzle

Quote from: pete on April 06, 2007, 03:18:59 AM
sometimes when people ask me who my favorite director is, I sometimes say "alansmithie" and then I chuckle to myself, 'cause they didn't ask me who my favorite directorS (note plural) were, but director.  Lol!

Quote from: pzyktzle on April 06, 2007, 01:17:04 AM
well, it wasn't all jokes. alan/allen/adam smithee is actually responsible for many films i love (for reasons that could be considered very wrong).

this is pretty funny. it gives me a good idea of who is who's "chum" :) good on you all for sticking up for Pubrick. he's a good lad. and i'm just an extra who enjoys using my forward-slash key.

granted, my alan smithee post was an off-the-cuff throw-away comment. not terribly witty. however, as i've said before, many of my favourite films are under this pseudonym.

Pubrick

you're reading too much into it.

i was confused by the smithee comment and apparently wasn't the only one. it didn't make sense cos walrus was asked a joke question (he's a well-known member, so RK was asking the default question in jest, it's what we ask newbs who just say "hi" and nothing else) it was strange for you to answer it seriously and then talk about alan smithee like it was a real person.

and i would say -- with a few exceptions -- that most ppl here are chums (also chummmmmmmps), some more than others. but if a joke is begging to be made i think usually ppl go for it regardless of chumminess with the target or not, and that's what happened here. 

uh, so yeah, no conspiracy against you. (another newb trait!)
under the paving stones.

pete

my favorite old guy is noam chumsky.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick on April 06, 2007, 05:23:22 AM
it didn't make sense cos walrus was asked a joke question (he's a well-known member, so RK was asking the default question in jest, it's what we ask newbs who just say "hi" and nothing else) it was strange for you to answer it seriously and then talk about alan smithee like it was a real person.

It wasn't a serious answer, though.  It was a joke based on the premise that it's ironic and absurd to refer to Alan Smithee as though it was a real person.  And it was funny.

But yeah, no conspiracies.  We treat everyone like this.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

The joke would have been funnier in Spanish.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

YOU would have been funnier in Spanish!

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pzyktzle

you're reading too much into it.

i was confused by the smithee comment and apparently wasn't the only one. it didn't make sense cos walrus was asked a joke question (he's a well-known member, so RK was asking the default question in jest, it's what we ask newbs who just say "hi" and nothing else) it was strange for you to answer it seriously and then talk about alan smithee like it was a real person.

as polkablues said, i was actually making a joke answer to the joke question. my reading of your "and i don't get it" was basically along the lines of "bad joke. we expect more from your flippant quips here at xixax" (which pete did everything to confirm). i'm glad you weren't playing humour police. i enjoy reading your posts and find some of them hilarious.

uh, so yeah, no conspiracy against you. (another newb trait!)

i've been baptised.

pzyktzle

actually, while we are on about not getting things ...

Quote from: Pubrick on March 30, 2007, 11:50:48 AM
welcome

was the stalker pic just a random movie recommendation? or was it a reference to my self-confessed lurking?

Pubrick

Quote from: pzyktzle on April 07, 2007, 04:55:36 AM
was the stalker pic just a random movie recommendation? or was it a reference to my self-confessed lurking?
haha. that's something you definitely could read into even further than that.

i figured if you were lurking as much as you said, you would know what i meant. eh, give it a few more weeks and it'll probably become obvious. i thought most ppl would get it. don't spoil it for him!
under the paving stones.

pzyktzle

this?

Quote from: Cecil on May 20, 2003, 08:23:01 PM
Quote from: Boothsince I almost always like the stuff Cecil B. likes. (Hey, I'm a noob, but a long time lurker :-) )

ooo a stalker. im flatered