The Leftovers

Started by MacGuffin, April 29, 2014, 08:29:47 AM

Drenk

Amen.

QuoteOne thing I've really enjoyed about this season is that each episode feels like a different episode of TV. It doesn't seem like 10 episodes of the same thing.

I'll tell you, I'm watching "Jessica Jones" right now and loving it. I feel like everybody's at different places in that book, so to speak. But more importantly, what you just said is the biggest issue, which is the episodes are indistinct. I've been watching season one of "The Knick" too, and there's that episode "Get the Rope" — that amazing episode with the race riots. When that episode ended I was like, "I need to stop and take a couple of days off before I watch the next one." That was an episode. From start to finish, that was an episode of TV.

You know, we call these things episodes for a reason. And not just because of structure. When someone has a mental-illness incident, we call it "an episode." That's the word that we use for those. The idea is that you can give each episode its own internal flavor and character. The way that we've obviously chosen to do that is by individuating the characters.

This is something that Noah Hawley does incredibly well [on "Fargo"], and "Walking Dead" has done it [at times] — the single character's [point of view episode]. "Game of Thrones" is probably my favorite show on the air right now, but just give me a damn Tyrion episode. Give me just one that's wall-to-wall Tyrion. The emotional impact that I would get when that episode ended [would be different], as opposed to [cutting to] "Meanwhile, over in Meereen." I think it's amazing what they do, but when [George R. R. Martin] wrote those books, each chapter is just called "Tyrion" or "Arya," etc.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/features/leftovers-season-2-finale-damon-lindelof-cavewoman-scene-1201649945/

Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Good God they nailed it. This finale had everything. I can't think of one thing it did wrong, or one thing that wasn't thoroughly and emphatically true to The Leftovers. Can't believe they pulled this off, really. Undoubtedly one of the very best seasons of TV I've seen.

I was almost too excited that I was watching the finale to fully absorb everything. Might have more thoughts later.

SPOILERS

This episode really pushed up against that supernatural boundary, didn't it? Kevin resurrecting again, surviving impossibly, which the show acknowledges — then lurching home like Jesus as a cross is carried into Jarden. Apparently John touching his wound incredulously is a reference to the biblical story pictured in The Incredulity of Saint Thomas, attached below. (Learned this from an AV Club comment, but don't go there, their review on this ep is garbage.) Saint Thomas doubted the resurrection of Jesus's body (where "doubting Thomas" comes from), until Thomas was able to touch the wound for himself and witness the resurrection.

But there's more. Kevin returns home, the earth quakes, and it's as if he's willed that final scene into existence. The ground shook so violently I half expected the house to be rubble, but everyone was unharmed. Like he shifted the fabric of the universe to make things right. "Because I deserve it."

And then the draining of the springs, which happened just as dramatically as we imagined, but with a flourish — the water didn't just drain in a spiral or something, it actually parted... and the scene ended there.

Jarden itself seems to resemble the hellscape foreshadowed in Kevin's dream, complete with random fires. We know, of course, that police and/or national guard will be arriving soon to clear out the juggalos from the streets and the Guilty Remnant from the government buildings, certainly. But it doesn't feel that way, does it? This change feels apocalyptic and permanent. The fear and confusion in John's eyes is proof — Meg has won, for now. Against all reason, it feels like the damage is everlasting.

A lot to unpack. This one deserves a rewatch or two.

Jeremy Blackman

Fantastic conversation about Season 2 on The Vulture TV Podcast, which has been covering The Leftovers a lot. A must-listen for any fan.

Also, critics have been going bananas. Sample headline: The Leftovers Season Two didn't just kick ass, it transcended TV.

Also, this:

'The Leftovers' Fans Campaign for Season 3 in Costume Outside HBO Offices

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/leftovers-season-3-fans-campaign-costume-hbo-1201655760/

The Guilty Remnant, the haunting cult at the center of HBO's "The Leftovers," made a pre-apocalyptic appearance in New York City on Monday, when a group of devoted fans assembled in costume outside the network's headquarters to petition for a third season of the premium cable drama.

Remaining true-to-character in their demonstration, the peaceful protesters donned all-white garments, silently smoked cigarettes and presented small, makeshift picket signs that simply read "renew" in scribbled sharpie.

HBO has yet to make a decision on the fate of the critically acclaimed drama, which stars Justin Theroux and Liv Tyler, but the creative team behind the show aren't afraid to make their voices heard as they stump for a renewal.

Drenk

Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Yes!!!! :multi:

I kind of had a feeling it would be, after seeing that the penultimate episode had higher ratings, and the finale had even higher ratings. In one interview, Lindelof mentioned the finale's ratings as a key criterion for renewal.

The whole thing was pretty unfair to begin with. This season aired in the fall and on Sunday night, which is a brutal combination for a show that by its nature really needs to do some persuading.

More details:

HBO is renewing The Leftovers for a third and final season

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/10/9888262/hbo-the-leftovers-renewed-third-final-season

HBO has announced that Damon Lindelof's surreal drama The Leftovers has been renewed for a third and final season. The show, which is based on Tom Perrotta's novel of the same name, finished its critically-lauded second season on December 6th. The whole season took place in a Texas town untouched by the Rapture, the "sudden departure" that rocked the show's world, and the drastic change in scenery — the first season took place in New York — paid palpable dividends in terms of audience response.

It wasn't clear after the second season's finale whether or not Lindelof and his creative team would be able to continue with the show. "The way we built the second season was Tom [Perrotta] and myself went into a room with a bunch of incredibly talented writers and we started to bounce ideas off the wall and we started to get excited about some of them," said Lindelof in a lengthy interview with The Hollywood Reporter. "I want to do the same thing again, but that hasn't happened yet — it can't happen until HBO says we want more... If we get to do more, I'm going to try not to f— it up."

In an interview with Hitfix's Alan Sepinwall, Lindelof confirmed that he wanted to end the show after three seasons. "It's a gut feeling," said Lindelof. "I feel like there's more story, but not MUCH more. And I don't want to drag it out unnecessarily."

"It is with great enthusiasm that we welcome back Damon Lindelof, Tom Perrotta, and the extraordinary talent behind The Leftovers for its third and final season," said HBO programming president Michael Lombardo in a statement. "We admire and fully support Damon's artistic vision and respect his decision to bring the show to its conclusion next season."

"We are all tremendously grateful that HBO is giving us an opportunity to conclude the show on our own terms," said Lindelof in the same statement. "We are blessed by the unwavering support of our fans and the incredibly powerful voice of the critical community. We feel absolutely privileged to heat up one last helping of leftovers."

polkablues

Up to season one, episode six right now, which is making me realize the main problem with the earlier episodes was that there wasn't nearly enough Carrie Coon. God damn she's the best.
My house, my rules, my coffee

polkablues

All caught up. I'm not quite to the point of coronating it yet, but there's no question that's some bold, inventive, powerful TV (sorry, not TV, HBO). You get the sense Lindelof is feeling liberated by not having the expectation of having to explain all the mysteries, and it makes everything feel unexpected.

I think the main thing holding back my exaltation is that the acting can be wildly inconsistent. Carrie Coon is on another level, looking down at the rest of the world from the peak of the acting mountaintop (holy shit, the scene after the earthquake and she realizes Kevin is gone, so she calls 911 to ask if it happened again. Holy shit). Justin Theroux is pretty great, Margaret Qualley is pretty great more often than not. Ann Dowd is awesome, because Ann Dowd is always awesome. Amy Brenneman and Liv Tyler are both actors who have always grated on me, and while they're better in this than in most things, I still have the same problems I've always had with them. Kevin Carroll played his character weirdly cartoonish, especially early in the season. And Chris Eccleston, while I think the performance itself is good, there's something weird that happens when he's doing the American accent; it's hard to describe, kind of like he's doing a ventriloquist act, but with his own face instead of a dummy.

But anyway, it was good! I didn't regret binge-watching it. I'll happily watch season three.

Jeremy Blackman

Good to hear! Liv Tyler can be problematic for me, and she certainly was in parts of Season 1. Interesting that Amy Brenneman is problematic for you... she completely worked for me. I hated Laurie so much in Season 1, but I was supposed to, and that only helped me empathize with Jill in Season 2... and yet still I really liked Laurie and was rooting for her in Season 2.

Do you have any thoughts about Season 1 vs. Season 2? Is the improvement as dramatic as I perceived it, or do you think there's some revisionism in my experience? Maybe most of it was just quality of life improvements — Jill's skeevy friend being gone, Jill herself being 3x more likable, Laurie being redeemed, less guilty remnant.

polkablues

I actually spent the bulk of season two feeling like I preferred the first season, but then season two really put it together in the last couple episodes. I also like that Damon Lindelof's offbeat sense of humor, which was frequently evident on Lost, got pulled out of his back pocket much more frequently in the second season.

I'm not actually sure there's anything wrong with Amy Brenneman's performance on this show; I think I was probably just projecting negative reactions I've had about her as an actor from other performances. Liv Tyler is still bad, but there are definitely moments in this series that use her flat vocal affect to really good effect.

Jeremy Blackman

Bluray of Season 2 releases Feb 9.

Jeremy Blackman

Excellent trailer:

This one is more spoilery:

Drenk

I'm not watching the trailer. I'll watch the first two episodes in a movie theater! I'm excited! If I remember correctly, this season is only eight episodes long, unfortunately...
Ascension.

Drenk

I saw two episodes. Is it weird to say that watching The Leftovers is a joyful experience for me? (When it's not crushing my soul.) I think this season will bring its lot of theories.
Ascension.