Have you ever stolen a dvd?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, April 06, 2003, 01:28:26 AM

Thecowgoooesmooo

Have you ever stolen a dvd?

Well. Have you?

chris

sphinx

no.  i have however thought of elaborate shoplifting schemes which involves two individuals: one positioned at the entrance of a store and one in the dvd section.  the store would have to have very high ceilings and the exit would have to go directly out to a parking lot.

one individual would simply throw the selected dvds very high into the air and the other one would catch while situated at the exit.  the dvd would of course be past the security checkpoint/alarm gate, so as long as you kept throwing dvds, you could just walk out the store.  and that's if nobody noticed*

* you could rob fort knox the same way ohhhh my; i should probably stop brett ratner

Sleuth

That isn't really that elaborate
I like to hug dogs

Thecowgoooesmooo

Quoteno. i have however thought of elaborate shoplifting schemes which involves two individuals: one positioned at the entrance of a store and one in the dvd section. the store would have to have very high ceilings and the exit would have to go directly out to a parking lot.

one individual would simply throw the selected dvds very high into the air and the other one would catch while situated at the exit. the dvd would of course be past the security checkpoint/alarm gate, so as long as you kept throwing dvds, you could just walk out the store. and that's if nobody noticed*

Thats the worst idea, Ive ever heard of. This one is perfect.

This involves a 2 person team, but you come in 1 at a time.

The first guy walks into the high security electronic store (best buy, media play, ect) and heads straight towards the dvd section. Make a straight line there. Select the dvds you want to steal, take maybe 5 or 10 of them, and go straight to the bathroom. Enter the bathroom stall and lay them next to or behind the toilet. Leave the bathroom after you take a shit and walk to the exit.
One of two things will now happen. The security guy at the front will stop you and explain to you that he saw you take the items in the bathroom and leave with no dvd's in hand. You shake your head and explain to him that you forgot them in the bathroom. If this occurs you now know that they have HIGH security, and that your best bet is to drive across the street to their competitor.
The other thing that could happen is that you will walk right out the door. Your clean, you haven't stolen anything yet, you have just set the ball rolling.

You head towards your car, where your buddy waits. Your partner waits 15 minutes before entering the same store. He walks to the bathroom and enters the same stall.
One of two things will now happen. The dvds will be gone, which means either employees put them back, or a random customer found them.
The other thing that could happen is that the dvds are laying right there. Your partner then takes his time sitting on the toilet seat, tearing off the security sensors. He may have to open the case to take off the sensors inside.Your partner then conceals them on his body and walks straight out the door.

I can't think of a safer way of stealing dvds.

chris

sphinx

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooThats the worst idea, Ive ever heard of.

:yabbse-thumbdown:

life_boy

No, I've never stolen a DVD before.  I found a possible way to do it though, if I were ever so inclined.  One night I was at 'the mall' and in the CD/DVD retailer (you know, the one's that sell CD's for $19.95 and DVD's for $25-30) and it was right before it closed.  I was gonna get a couple of classical discs so I made my final selections and went to the front of the store where a long line was quickly amassing.  I was about the 6th person in line and naturally they only had one person checking people out.  There was another guy behind the counter and he got the idea to help the process go a little faster.  Instead of checking people out, he went ahead and de-magnatized the purchases of the people in line so that the 'checker-outer' wouldn't have to.  This seemed normal except for the fact that he handed our selections back to us to hold (the guys towards the end of the line) while we waited our turn.  I guess we were all on 'scout's honor' at that point, because we could've easily run out with no bells and whistles until the guy realized what he did and someone else in line realizing what's going on and make a run for it too.  

I don't know if this is standard practice or what but it was certainly an interesting tidbit of information to stumble upon.  So, if I were ever to attempt some kind of burglary of the local FYE, I would get a few selections (perhaps expensive Criterions) before the mall closed on a Friday or Saturday and wait for the scenario to repeat itself.  Of course, the gamble is whether or not the dude behind the desk decides to 'help along' the process by giving people a chance to get freebies, but I guess it's just as much of a gamble as stealing anything.  The downside of this is that you either have a goofy-looking uncomfortable situation of stepping out of line and putting them back when you're the second person from the checkout guy or you laid down $60-85 dollars for three DVD's.

cine

Believe it or not.. I have a much simpler idea, but I'm basing it on the HMV I visit. Once in a while when a person leaves the store with something they've purchased, the alarm goes off. The workers turn to the store entrance.. and a guy raises his shopping bag that he just given. The workers nod with the usual look of agreement: "Oh, I see. That was your bag. Thanks, sir."

Well.. wouldn't it make sense to put some DVDs in your pockets (assuming you bring the space) if that sort of thing will occur? If you purchase something.. I assume ANYTHING (but preferably a cheap DVD just in case) and then it goes off.. what are they going to do? It happens so often if the rare event occurs where they try and stop you and ask you to show you if you have anything, just take major offense to it and argue that you just helped their store and that the alarm sounds so often - why are you being picked on? and if they persist, just throw them the cheap DVD saying, "keep your trash.. I don't want it.. I'll just go to Blockbuster." and storm off mumbling something about federal law.

Cecil

no ive never stolen a dvd, but you guys seem to have pretty good ideas. i dont think id ever do it though... plus i have no partner in crime

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Derek

Quote from: Cinephile
if the rare event occurs where they try and stop you and ask you to show you if you have anything, just take major offense to it and argue that you just helped their store and that the alarm sounds so often - why are you being picked on?

...and accuse them of racism. loudly.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Ravi

Quote from: Derek
Quote from: Cinephile
if the rare event occurs where they try and stop you and ask you to show you if you have anything, just take major offense to it and argue that you just helped their store and that the alarm sounds so often - why are you being picked on?

...and accuse them of racism. loudly.

"Bah!  Racism, j'accuse!"
"Sir, we're both white."
"I'm 1/8th Puerto Rican, or 'spic,' as you would call it!"
"Okay, sorry, didn't mean to bother you."

Is that how it would go?

cine

THAT.. Or:

"That's racism!!"
"How do you figure?"
"No! Not me! Over THERE! There's some KKK members reenacting a scene from 'Birth of a Nation!'"
"Birth of huh?"
"The Griffith movie! Over THERE! LOOK DAMNIT!"
*confused man turns around as theif makes run for it*
"Hey, the Elvis line was getting old."

Ravi

Cecil

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeI steal DVDs from Amazon.com. :(

how?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeI steal DVDs from Amazon.com. :(

how?

You do the same thing as in Sphinx's scheme, except on the internet.