Stan & Ollie

Started by wilberfan, September 21, 2018, 06:08:41 PM

wilberfan

The true story of Hollywood’s greatest comedy double act, Laurel and Hardy, is brought to the big screen for the first time. Starring Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly as the inimitable movie icons, Stan & Ollie is the heart-warming story of what would become the pair’s triumphant farewell tour.

With their golden era long behind them, the pair embark on a variety hall tour of Britain and Ireland. Despite the pressures of a hectic schedule, and with the support of their wives Lucille (Shirley Henderson) and Ida (Nina Arianda) – a formidable double act in their own right - the pair’s love of performing, as well as for each other, endures as they secure their place in the hearts of their adoring public.

DIRECTED BY
Jon S. Baird   

WRITTEN BY
Jeff Pope 

PRODUCED BY
Faye Ward 

CAST
Steve Coogan
John C. Reilly
Shirley Henderson
Nina Arianda
Danny Huston
Rufus Jones

I've got a huge, soft spot in my heart for "The Boys", as I used to watch them with my Dad when I was but a wee small lad.  Got my fingers crossed for this one.  I like the casting, and I think the two leads have captured the voices quite well.  Reilly's make up is good--but I'm still having a bit of an Uncanny Valley thing where I'm simultaneously seeing Babe and Reilly.  He's always awesome, though, so if anyone can pull this off, he can. 

jenkins

biopics of famous historical figures are my least favorite thing ever. which isn't new to me but i'm just being reminded recently for whatever reason. isn't there nothing easier to make?

First Man is a prime example. while The Old Man & the Gun is more like Melvin and Howard to me, in other words the lead character isn't a famous historical figure but just a rather interesting one, and the overall intention is quite different, which i only mention to not throw the baby out with the bathwater