MGM to release Persona among other Bergman titles

Started by Gold Trumpet, March 29, 2003, 09:34:40 PM

cine

Now you must see Persona. Don't shift gears and see something like The Seventh Seal. See Persona next.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: CinephileNow you must see Persona. Don't shift gears and see something like The Seventh Seal. See Persona next.
If I can find it. Without a card (I voluntarily got rid of it. It was too easy for me to get $60 in the hole every other month) I'll have a hard time getting a hold of it.
But I will absolutely try my damndest.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

MGM Home Entertainment have just this minute issued an official statement regarding the problems with the Ingmar Bergman Collection. The set was originally scheduled for release on the 10th February this year, retailing at around $112.96. Many people have been reporting that two of the films were heavily cropped from the original 1.37:1 aspect ratios. The full statement on the situation is attached below:

"It has come to our attention that the transfers utilized for the release of Ingmar Bergman's Hour of the Wolf Special Edition DVD and Shame Special Edition DVD are not representative of the intended theatrical presentation. In order to provide customers with the best quality product available, we are recalling the product at retail and will be releasing both films in a 1:37:1 aspect ratio on April 20, 2004. The Ingmar Bergman DVD Collection will also be available on that date. MGM Home Entertainment always strives to provide the highest standard of product and customer care. For additional information or comments, please contact our customer service at 877/646-4968."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DVDFile's review here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

That's gay. My mouth was starting to water at tomorrow's release date and all.

godardian

Quote from: Chest RockwellMy mouth was starting to water at tomorrow's release date and all.

Me, too. Oh, well... better to have quality and patience, I suppose. I'm concerned 'cos I ordered it as one shipment with Blow-Up and now I'm wondering if I have to re-do the whole damn thing if I don't want to wait 'til April for the Antonioni.

Quote from: Chest RockwellThat's gay.

:?:  (or should I say :evil:)? The slang you kids use!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

NEON MERCURY

.....what about Persona....by itself........will that still be availible seperately from the set on  feb 10....?

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: Chest RockwellThat's gay.

:?:  (or should I say :evil:)? The slang you kids use!

Joke.

edison

Quote from: NEON MERCURY.....what about Persona....by itself........will that still be availible seperately from the set on  feb 10....?

yeah, it should, i saw all the discs out already last friday at a best buy and they were all individual, i didnt see the box set anywhere.

SiliasRuby

I saw Persona at my local borders all by itself a while back but I am going to wait until the boxed set comes out.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Chest Rockwell

I just saw Persona the other day by itself. I was thinking of buying it, but i stayed my temptation.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Chest RockwellI just saw Persona the other day by itself. I was thinking of buying it, but i stayed my temptation.

....why are people waiting to get persona...?????......its the other fiflms that are in the box set that the aspect raio is phucked.....right???.....b/c the copy i have and its the MGM new one..looks fine ....if the aspect ratio is screwed on persona......BELIEVE ME you can't tell ....... :?

godardian

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: Chest RockwellI just saw Persona the other day by itself. I was thinking of buying it, but i stayed my temptation.

....why are people waiting to get persona...?????......its the other fiflms that are in the box set that the aspect raio is phucked.....right???.....b/c the copy i have and its the MGM new one..looks fine ....if the aspect ratio is screwed on persona......BELIEVE ME you can't tell ....... :?

The reason is quite clear, it would seem: If you buy Persona now and then buy the box set, you're buying Persona twice. There's no reason to do that when it will be included in the box set.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

NEON MERCURY

The reason is quite clear, it would seem: If you buy Persona now and then buy the box set, you're buying Persona twice. There's no reason to do that when it will be included in the box set.

ohh i see....(i'm a little ignorant... :wink: ...).....but i  was thinking that people just wanted persona... :)

godardian

ohh i see....(i'm a little ignorant... :wink: ...).....but i  was thinking that people just wanted persona... :)

I think it's a safe bet that anyone who's interested in Persona will be interested in Bergman's work as a whole, and thus at least somewhat interested in the box set... just because Persona is Bergman's best film doesn't mean the others aren't well worthwile and extremely interesting in their own right.

NEON MERCURY

I think it's a safe bet that anyone who's interested in Persona will be interested in Bergman's work as a whole, and thus at least somewhat interested in the box set... just because Persona is Bergman's best film doesn't mean the others aren't well worthwile and extremely interesting in their own right.

.out the box set .what do you suggest i should watch next...i'm not sure what the box set includes other than persona, passion of anna, and serpants egg..
....to guive you an idea of my tastes ..th efist 10 or so mins. in person aare phucking brilliant....(as well as the film itself)......is there any thing else in the box set comparative to that...????