Best Film Of 2009 (Redux)

Started by modage, March 03, 2011, 08:48:51 AM

modage

Quote from: I Love a Magician on March 04, 2011, 04:32:29 PM
it would be interesting for for everyone who changed their vote from last year to explain why they did so

I agree.  Last year I voted for Up and I did the same this year.  Who switched and why?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

I voted WtWTA both times.  Though having since seen An Education, I would have voted for that one had it been nominated.
My house, my rules, my coffee

brockly

Quote from: polkablues on March 04, 2011, 05:40:14 PM
I voted WtWTA both times.

yep, still my favourite of '09. i'm guessing most of the people who voted for a different film this year are the ones who voted for district 9 last year...? i'm kind of surprised because i think D9 will go down as a classic, while ASM, even tho i like it a lot, seems to me a pretty forgettable film. just my perspective, could be wrong. i would've been fine with any of those films winning, other than IB.

IchLiebeTisch

I nominated for A Single Man and ended up voting for A Serious Man both times.

Gold Trumpet

I changed from District 9 to Up. It wasn't a great year for films. Originally I was excited over how novel District 9 felt, but the themes are way too accessible and the film has no strands which spread out and leave you wondering about the things left unsaid. By the third viewing, you feel everything is on the platter. It's like if you do comparison criticism, one compares to something else, but it feels like it has to be based on how well someone knows about other societal issues which blend well with the film, but knowing that doesn't help you see deeper into the film. It's more about how well you know the comparison subject.

Why I chose Up? The enjoyability continued to rise for me in later viewings. When you watch the film and notice it doesn't fully take hold of an awesome structure like Wall E, it feels underwhelming. My relationship is that in later viewings I got to enjoy the small intangibles of the story more. This is an awkward comparison, but Mayazaki's My Neighbor Totoro felt perfect to be understood as a classic because it was made early in his career and was in line with his professional development. If he made the film now, it would still be great, but its greatness would be harder to see since it initially would feel more simplistic than his other movies. Up felt too simplistic initially, but I watch it now and I marvel at how well it does every little thing. There is no wrong step in the movie.