IN DEFENSE OF SHAUN OF THE DEAD (themodernage02)

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 17, 2005, 12:50:11 AM

Weak2ndAct

Yeah, Ed is reflection is Shaun's failings, but if you look at the housemates as a whole, that's where the brilliance of the setup lies.  Ed is the jobless, drunk, shiftless-layabout.  Pete is the dedicated, serious worker (also worth noting that he's the only one with a car).  Both resent each other for what defines them.  Shaun is the one stuck in the middle, and at a moment's notice, he could swing either way and cement his fate.  In the end, it feels like Shaun satsifies a happy medium between the two (and in the same flat, natch).

God, I love this movie.

Thrindle

I have to say that your article was extremely well written.  I didn't look so deeply into the movie (I admit it turned me right off in the beginning)...  but nonetheless, your defence of it isn't over the top.  Cheers.
Classic.

Just Withnail

Agreed, very good article. Made me wanna see it again. Your ending paragraph sums up the film and your analysis perfectly.

Gamblour.

That last line is brilliant. And so are all the ones in the middle. Good job, nice analysis, the film is a lot of genius to take in at once, so thanks for writing it all down.
WWPTAD?

SHAFTR

Enjoyable, it's easy to see that Shaun of the Dead and The Incredibles are your 2 fav films of 04 for the same reasons.  Personally, I enjoyed Dawn of the Dead (the remake more), I understand that isn't the most popular view.  I will say this though, your In Defense made Shaun of the Dead go from a movie that I liked to a movie that I liked and would like to see again.

EDIT: And this was Post #2000 for me.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

w/o horse

This was really well written.  

I don't know what it is that keeps me at arm's length with this movie.  I mean I enjoy comedies, I love horror movies, and I see all your points, all your points are justifiable and convincing, but there just isn't a connection between me and the movie.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

modage

hey thanks!

side thought:  remember when The Green Screen was a place?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

someone tell me where the "Mexican standoff" originated in film? its just such an interesting device
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche