Pirates of the Caribbean

Started by meatball, November 28, 2003, 04:09:00 PM

meatball

Okay, this baby's coming out this Tuesday but I'm starting up the thread now so we can crack jokes about it's special features and commentaries. Can't wait.

And... why is it that DVDs always say Retail Value: $29.95... yet all stores sell them for under $20? Is this some strange conspiracy?

Kal

Its cause all these bullshit stores want to say "I have it 40% off" or 30% or whatever... BestBuy will probably sell it at 15.99 which is great... I'll have it on Tuesday :)

Its supposed to be loaded with cool stuff

MacGuffin

Quote from: meatballOkay, this baby's coming out this Tuesday but I'm starting up the thread now so we can crack jokes about it's special features and commentaries. Can't wait.

DVDFile raved about the special features and commentaries:

Ahoy, mateys! Now here is a treasure chest of extras! There is so much stuff crammed into this two-disc super-set it stands as one of the best DVDs of the year. (Really, I mean it - the marketing machine didn't pay me to say that.) No, this isn't exactly Lord of the Rings, but popcorn films need love, too, and this one sure gets a big pirate handshake.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatball

I am trembling with anticipation!!  :-D

Want to hear what so many of the people involved have to say on the commentaries. Depp, Verbinski, Bruckheimer.... Knightley  :-D !

Stefen

I heard it's supposed to have a blooper reel. Those are always fun to watch, more dvds need to have them.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Redlum

Quote from: StefenI heard it's supposed to have a blooper reel. Those are always fun to watch, more dvds need to have them.
Definately. I love the one on the Meet the Parents DVD. Dunno how many times I've watched that but its a lot.

Looking forward to this one, too. Might wait till Christmas, though - when I can truly sit back and appreciate it.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Quote from: StefenI heard it's supposed to have a blooper reel.

From DVDFile's review:

There is also a perfunctory 3-minute Outtakes reel set to a funky beat. Kinda funny, sorta not.

Entire review here.

Quote from: StefenThose are always fun to watch, more dvds need to have them.

The one on the "T3" DVD was not worth including.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: StefenI heard it's supposed to have a blooper reel. Those are always fun to watch, more dvds need to have them.

Except for Jackie Chan and Pixar films, I can't recall any bloopers that I've liked.  They're usually just flubbed lines.  The one at the end of Bruce Almighty was lame.

Pubrick

Quote from: RaviExcept for Jackie Chan and Pixar films, I can't recall any bloopers that I've liked.  They're usually just flubbed lines.  The one at the end of Bruce Almighty was lame.
the ones on Cannonball Run II are disturbing.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Quote from: P
Quote from: RaviExcept for Jackie Chan and Pixar films, I can't recall any bloopers that I've liked.  They're usually just flubbed lines.  The one at the end of Bruce Almighty was lame.
the ones on Cannonball Run II are disturbing.

That you watched Cannonball Run II is disturbing.

Stefen

Just got my copy at best buy this morning. $15.99. I noticed there didn't seem be a fullscreen copy, did they only release this on 2.35:1? I wonder if people are catching on about fullscreen and only buying widescreen. Because normally on big releases like this there are two versions.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

I listened to the screenwriters' commentary track, I have to say when they talk about DVDs being like film schools in a box, this one describes that saying. It was like taking a screenwriting class; very informative, giving lessons in character introductions, setting up story, structure and so on. The writers also give ancedotes about the production, what earlier drafts of the story were and how they wanted to capture the fun and ideas of the Disneyland ride. Great listen, better than the brief part of the Verbinski/Depp track that I listened to. They sounded like they were talking just amongst themselves.

Skeleton FilmWorks