Band of Brothers

Started by modage, April 25, 2004, 10:39:10 PM

modage

with the fabulous invention of dvd i'm just now watching this show.  two reasons:

one) i just finished the entire series of twin peaks and needed to get hooked on another show, and since i dont watch anything on tv regularly, this seemed like a good one.  

and two) they just ran it on history channel which brought up an 'oh yeah... i wanted to see this, except i didnt have hbo.'  

i'm 5 episodes in and its really good.  uhh, thats all for now.  did anyone else watch this? good ensemble casting, nice to see Endless Mike again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02did anyone else watch this?

I started it when it first aired on HBO, but missed an episode or two and didn't finish. I picked it up used on DVD (nice packaging, by the way) and watched 2 episodes a day through a week. It's a great series. You really connect with the characters, and each episode is truly a history lesson with the interviews of the real men and focusing on a different unit of the Company.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

i started watching it in......i wanna say November....and i just recently bought the DVD set for like 30 bucks. such a great show, really well acted, the camera work and editing is just amazing. it's replaying on the history channel every weeknight at nine.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Weak2ndAct

I LOVE this show/series.  I got it as an XMAS present having not seen an episode, and boy, what a great gift that was.  Everything's wonderful about BOB.  And I'll admit, sometimes I'll kick in certain episodes just for the sheer visceral action (how stuntmen were not killed during some explosions just blows my mind).  

Are they still doing the series about the conflict in Japan?  I read about that a while ago and am frothing at the mouth for that.

PS: It should be noted that the dvd set is (from what I read) the best selling dvd box ever.  It is apparently the gift to get a dad/male relative during the holidays.

Quote from: Weak2ndAct

Are they still doing the series about the conflict in Japan?

they are.
context, context, context.

Raikus

Rumor has it that it's an upcoming birthday present.

I've seen them all from Netflix about half a year ago and then rewatched them all again thanks to the glory that is History Channel.

There simply has never been a more perfectly filmed series for television.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

modage

yeah i finally finished this tonite.  it was really great.  really interesting how there werent really any main characters.  each episode would focus on a different person and then they would be relegated to the background in the next episode.  but somehow you knew them more now that you'd experienced one part of it from their pov.  really interesting and really well done.  i guess i'm a bit of a dumbass but i didnt know that when the troops SPOILER stumbled on the concentration camp they didnt know they were there/what was going on END SPOILER  it was pretty crazy.  each episode had a different feel, and after the first few which were sort of lighthearted then they started to get really crazy with real consequences till it was not fun any longer.  did the baseball at the end with narration of where are they now remind anyone else of the sandlot though?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

El Duderino

not really, it didnt really sound like "..and it was the biggest pickle any of us had ever been in."
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?