This place is BIPOLAR.

Started by Stefen, July 31, 2008, 10:27:58 AM

mogwai

Stefen is now S.R. and he was here yesterday.

BB

Quote from: Christian on July 04, 2012, 09:41:20 PM
Stefen is now S.R. and he was here yesterday.

I figured out the name change. Though he is still visiting the site regularly, he seldom posts. I was just wondering if there was a reason. Or if it's merely boredom.

ono

Quote from: BB on July 04, 2012, 09:39:28 PM
Had an hour to kill earlier and I wound up reading through a bunch of old threads that long predate my time here. Made me a little envious of what you guys had and it's a bummer that things have changed.
Which threads?

matt35mm

Why did so-and-so leave; what brought them back years later; whose identities have changed; who's next to croak?

This place is like a long-running soap opera.

polkablues

What happened to Pubrick and polkablues a few years ago when they stopped posting? They seem like such integral members. What brought them back?

Appealing to my ego will work every single time.

I've actually had two year-ish long hiatuses from this place, the first because I suddenly went from having constant internet access to having very intermittent internet access, and the second simply because I fell out of the habit of visiting. I found that unless I was logging on and checking in every day, I felt too diconnected from the community, and that disconnection was enough to make me stop visiting entirely. 

But then I came back on a whim and I got adminned, and mod and I started photoshopping Brett Ratner into things and I haven't looked back since. Even running on fumes as the place has been lately, I love this site and the people in it too damn much.

And I wouldn't complain if Stefen, Pas, and GT decided to start posting again.
My house, my rules, my coffee

BB

Quote from: ono on July 04, 2012, 09:52:13 PM
Had an hour to kill earlier and I wound up reading through a bunch of old threads that long predate my time here. Made me a little envious of what you guys had and it's a bummer that things have changed.
Which threads?

Lots of them. Mostly in the non-film discussion section, where I had seldom wandered before. I can't recall which ones. A bunch of the meta-threads like this one. A few dealing with personal lives and such. I say I was made envious not because of the specific content of what I read, but just the general sense of camaraderie that I know younger me would have enjoyed. As much as I like coming here now, I do feel late to the party, both personally (I feel a little too old for it) and with regards to the present state of the site.

Quote from: matt35mm on July 04, 2012, 09:57:02 PM
This place is like a long-running soap opera.

It really is. Complete with lurid sexual content. You guys should be proud.

Pubrick

A lot of people have left after having kids, getting a serious job, or generally moving on to bigger and better things.

My time away was due to my computer dying and then a long term relationship that coincided with a change in lifestyle. I came back when I became a bit more organized and felt that my role in the long running soap opera was not being filled adequately. Also to talk about Kubrick, there's just nowhere to do that in real life without constantly defending EWS.

The most interesting departure must be Budgie who left to become a sex slave (seriously). Followed by cronopio who joined the hipster gangs of Mexico after his harrowing encounter with a phone-stealing street thug, and cine who became the CEO of a major company although he spends most of his time eating cookies and sending private messages to admin about how we're running the site into the ground.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pubrick on July 05, 2012, 05:11:29 PMThe most interesting departure must be Budgie who left to become a sex slave (seriously).

Here's her original announcement, which is somehow even more bizarre than I remembered it:

Quote from: budgie on December 08, 2005, 06:48:58 AMhe also reminded me, in a roundabout way, of my inhumanity, and i'm fast becoming an animal. soon enough i'll give myself in slavery to a pyromaniacal pagan who i met at stonehenge on the summer solstice this year. consequently, i'll not be able to return fully now. i'll be far too busy growing veg and killing chickens, and won't be allowed to associate with young men.

The full post:

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=4153.msg211491#msg211491