Know Your Xixax: Donation begging and site news

Started by Xixax, December 02, 2006, 08:52:14 PM

Jeremy Blackman

I managed to work out the kinks in testing, so the install went pretty smoothly.

Things left to do:

- Install the youtube/vimeo/soundcloud embed mods (need support to get back to me on something)
- Set up SSL (https), which I will probably do next week

Theme

Hopefully people like the theme. There are not many responsive themes for our forum software; this is far and away the best one. It's also, not coincidentally, the most popular SMF theme.

We can look into making some adjustments to the theme. I wouldn't mind making the orange sun a bit lighter. I tried to find that file unsuccessfully before the install.  But I might pursue that. We can also change pretty much any color in the theme. Fonts. That sort of thing.

FYI if you didn't notice, you can click the crescent moon at the top right to use a darker version of the theme.

You can add an image to your signature, using image tags:
[img]urlofyourimage[/img]

It can be 400x160 (400 pixels wide, 160 pixels in height).

I've changed my profile to show the design intent. (The movie is Revenge, btw.) Effectively this image can function as a replacement for your avatar. These signature images do not show up on mobile, from what I've seen.

The new avatar is more of a profile picture. If the image you upload is square enough, it shows up as a perfect circle. (Not entirely sure how square it has to be.) If your avatar image is rectangular, it becomes an oval shape.

polkablues

I love night mode, but it absolutely wrecks the logo. Might have to do a new version of the logo altogether that'll work both ways.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

wilberfan

It's (apparently) a New Dawn and a New Day!    :bravo:

Thanks for all your dedication and hard work, dude.  Yer awesome!

WorldForgot

wilberfan

Don't know the extent of the customization options available, but it just occurred to me that it would be cool if each..."forum"..."sub-forum"? had it's own header.  Just thinking out loud...   That's for farther down the road, if even possible.

Jeremy Blackman

For those who miss the marquee, I set this up:

http://xixax.com/marquee/

Best I can do. Reload it to get new randomized images.

Sleepless

Nice work, JB  :bravo:

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to make our new digs more homely as we adjust to the .
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilberfan

Just realized we can't get into that +1 circle anymore.  (I feel like a jerk.)

Jeremy Blackman

The sun is peach-colored now. You may have to do a hard refresh to see the change. I toyed with some changes to the moon but there was a graphical element making that difficult, so leaving it default for now.

I nudged up the font size of posts and quotes by 1 each. Next, trying to increase the font size of the posting field.

Jeremy Blackman

Some news: I successfully installed the embed mods. And we should have no issues installing mods or updates in the future. Tech support was stumped on a particular bug. I managed to figure it out and teach them something. (No big deal.)

Vimeo embedability is a new feature for us. We're using the same Youtube and Soundcloud embed mods we had on our previous installation.

In this theme, they all expand to the size of your browser window. Pretty nice.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/susannesundfor/white-foxes[/soundcloud]

Jeremy Blackman

You may have noticed that large images get smooshed/distorted if they don't fit the window. To see that image with the proper aspect ratio, just click on it, or tap on mobile.

polkablues

New year, new Xixax, new logo! Went for a cleaner, more modern style, that hopefully plays well with the regular site look and also looks 1000 times less garish than the old logo in night mode. If you hate it, let me know in this thread, along with a detailed explanation of why not and what makes you so perfect, anyway?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn