However difficult it may be, try and rank PTA's films.

Started by TheImaginator16, March 08, 2014, 05:10:32 AM

TheImaginator16

I think everyone on this sight pretty much loves or at least really likes most of his films, and would find it very difficult to rank one over the other. So I thought we could try and do this, from least favourite to favourite. If you find it to be a futile exercise that undermines the special quality of each of his films, remember, you don't have to do it! It's just a bit of challenging fun. I'll do mine.

6. Hard Eight (Sydney)
5. Boogie Nights
4. Punch-Drunk Love
3. There Will Be Blood
2. Magnolia
1. The Master

ono

• Cigarettes and Coffee
  • Pearl
  • The Dirk Diggler Story
  • COP Beat, starring John C. Reilly
  • Back Beyond
  • Lucille (Life, Take Two)
  • Blossoms and Blood
  • SNL Fanatic
  • Get This Bastard Out of Me: The Jack Anderson Story
  • That lost We Suck Young Blood Music Video
  • The Kid-IV Project, rumored titles: Fun with Episiotomies or Wrecked
  • Flagpole Special
  • Here's Looking at You, Fi (a collection of tastefully shot erotic vignettes that Maya was never supposed to find out about)
  • Couch
Sorry I couldn't just name 10.

Jeremy Blackman

I normally love making lists, but I find it hard to compare my appreciation of post-TWBB with pre-TWBB. I wouldn't know how to put The Master and Boogie Nights on the same list.

I could make a top 3, though.

1. Magnolia
2. Punch-Drunk Love
3. There Will Be Blood

Drenk

I have a Top 3 too.

1 Magnolia
2 Everything else...
3 ...except Sydney
Ascension.

Reel

Punch Drunk Love
Boogie Nights
Magnolia
There Will Be Blood
The Master
Sydney

That's pretty much how it stands and I dont see it changing any.

mogwai

1. Frangolia
2. The Matress
3. Puck Funk Loose
4. Hooker Knight
5. There will be cum
6. Stiff Nine

Reel

Kal

1. Resident Evil
2. Mortal Kombat
3. Death Race
4. Alien vs. Predator
5. Pompeii

:bravo:

Fernando

1. Lancaster Dodd
3. Scotty J
4. Phil Parma
5. Dean Trumbell
6. Young Craps Player

I fucking hate that he is gone

TheImaginator16

Title says it all, interpret it however you want. For me I become attached to each of his films emotionally in a different way, but if I had to do an objective ranking, this would be it.

6. There Will Be Blood
5. Boogie Nights
4. Hard Eight
3. The Master
2. Punch-Drunk Love
1. Magnolia

Pubrick

Isn't this just a slight variation on the general ranking thread you just created? Which itself could have fit into other older threads. I mean you couldn't seriously think we had never tried to rank his films before, in the 11 years of this board's existence..

I'm gonna merge this with the other one. I'll keep your subject header for context.

Also what your saying makes no sense, at the very least I'm not sure you know what "objective" means.
under the paving stones.

Reel

You just got hit with the pube hammer, how does it feel?

Don't sweat it. He went easy on ya

Lottery

A semi-response to the dude's question: his last three have been pretty important for me emotionally.

Also, in overall ranking.

1. The Master
2/3. TWBB/PDL
4. Boogie Nights
5. Magnolia
6. Hard Sydney

TheImaginator16

Oops, I meant to say "subjective" there, sorry to make you confused. I hope what I was saying makes more sense to you now.

You are quite right about adding my "emotional ranking" thread to pre existing one. I am quite new to this forum, so I don't know the way things work around here in terms of starting new threads and such, but thank you for hinting to me the proper way of doing things around here. But I do feel that making a new thread about ranking PTA's films is not a sin, as I only wished to start fresh discussion and conversation. Of course I would know that you guys have already discussed this, but I would rather start a fresh thread than comment on some old thread that's been buried a few pages back where no one would see. I just thought it would be a more efficient way of sparking more replies and conversations, although I am very sorry if this was an inconvenience to XIXAX.

But thank you for putting me on the proper path when it comes to the common code of conduct here and I hope that my corrections to what I previously said make it make more sense to you :) 

polkablues

Don't worry about it.

Our general rule of thumb around here is, if there's an existing thread that encompasses what you're looking to talk about, use it, even if it means resurrecting it from years ago. The topics in each board arrange themselves in order of when the most recent post was made, so new posts always move their thread to the top of the page, no matter how old the thread was originally. The added benefit of bumping old threads is that it forces us to confront a time before we were all bitter old assholes and we actually talked at length about film.

Feelin' listish:

1. Mag
2. Blood
3. Punch
4. Mast
5. Boog
6. Syd
My house, my rules, my coffee