Luc Besson

Started by Rudie Obias, April 13, 2003, 01:41:24 PM

Rudie Obias

any thoughts?  opinions?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Cecil

i like nikita and his older stuff, leon too of course... but has anyone seen the transporter? it looks pretty crappy

Jeremy Blackman

How about The Messenger? I thought it was visually amazing, but not well put together.

sphinx

reasons why sphinx enjoyed the messenger

john malkovich
dustin hoffman

Sleuth

I thought Malkovich was terrible in the Messenger.  Very nice visually though
I like to hug dogs

bonanzataz

yeah, besson is a great visual director. fifth element is one of my favorites. it's good for it's mindless fun, it's humor, and it's beautiful photography. not to mention a nekkit milla.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Cecil

amen to all that. i didnt think the messanger was that bad. i found it.... "okay"

Gold Trumpet

I've liked some of his films, but the one discernable thing about him as a director that really seems to be most obvious is just his existence as a visual director and bringing a certain visual identity to each film he does. Fine and dandy but when you don't have grounds on a good story, like the case was with many of his films, it becomes very bad. Sam Peckinpah seems best to compare in this case, where he was known simply for the identity of a highly realized visual violence in his films that was influential for the 1970s.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

I think La Femme Nikita is pretty good, but Leon is awesome...it used to be one of my all time favorites, actually. And Fifth Element, aside from being visually stunning and having Milla Jovovich fully and partially naked for most of the running time (sorry, don't mean to be sexist, but she's cute), is the closest any film has come to capturing that old serial spirit since Indiana Jones.

I've seen all of Besson's films except for Les Dernier Combat (or whatever it's called) and that underwater film...not The Big Blue, the other one that no one's ever heard of. Anyway, I used to love him, but The Messenger was the biggest disappointment of 99. It was almost so great, and it should have been incredible considering that Besson is so fond of films about female empowerment. But it fell flat dramatically and left a really bad aftertase. Since then, he's just done rather unexciting action film writing/producing. I heard he was really discouraged about the reaction to The Messenger.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cecil b. dementedhas anyone seen the transporter? it looks pretty crappy

Piece of shit. Only one good fight. But Besson only wrote and produced, same as the other piece of shit "Kiss Of The Dragon".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

rustinglass

the underwater one that no one knows....
it's called atlantis.
Imagine Fantasia wasn't an animation, and it was directed by jacques-yves cousteau
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

cowboykurtis

mia jovacich(sp?) is one sexy kitten -- but once she opens her mouth, its all down hill...
...your excuses are your own...

Pastor Parsley

liked nikita, professional, and dernier combat.....dernier combat is a great film..not a word of dialog in the whole thing.

5th element was fun and messenger was almost there...but was quite dissapointing because it was so close and yet missed the mark.

godardian

Based on The Big Blue, I hate Luc Besson.

The Fifth Element had some things that looked technically pretty difficult to pull off, but as far as the "look" of the film- bad Sci-Fi Channel, anyone? Too slick for me.

I have not seen La Femme Nikita or Leon, both of which I'm more than willing to give a fair shake, but I can't make them priorities since, based on the Besson I have seen, they seem likely to be disappointing or even infuriating.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gold Trumpet

Godardian,
Even in the eyes of someone critical of Besson's work, don't let those two films sway your opinion of the two you mentioned. They should be seen and even if I had problems with one of them, they still go for something admirable.

~rougerum