Abrupt movie endings that tend to piss viewers off...

Started by nineteenseventyseven, February 03, 2005, 07:13:59 PM

nineteenseventyseven

I just watched the end of Easy Rider on AMC this evening...
I don't remember the final scene upsetting me as much as it did then.
It really pissed me off. Just to be constructive and conversational in an internet movie forum kind of way, what other abrupt, unsettling endings come to mind?
I waste time.

nineteenseventyseven

I fuckin' hate nineteenseventyseven. pretentious bastard. prick.
Fuck Vincent Gallo, too. He's just the same.
I waste time.

ono

The edit button is your friend.  Unless you have schizophrenia and forget which one of you is posting.

And well, a certain John Sayles movie SPOILERS.  Don't watch Limbo if you don't like abrupt endings.

cine

Quote from: In his sig, nineteenseventysevenI waste time.
no kidding.

Two Lane Blacktop

A lot of people don't like the ending of one of my favorite (obviously) movies, Two Lane Blacktop.  I've never understood this, since the film has only the barest hint of a plot to begin with, so how else could it end but just to....  stop?

Mind you, the WAY it stops is brilliant, IMO.

2LB
Body by Guinness

cowboykurtis

many would argue magnolia, there were actually quite a few walk outs once the frogs came when i saw it in the theater.

have any of you seen it? if not, you should take a look and judge for yourselves.

have fun.

have a good time.

enjoy yourselves.

good day.
...your excuses are your own...

ono

SPOILERS.

Also, IMDb is a wonderful invention.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067893/

And here, for all of you, a gift from me with love.  Make a new bookmark in your browser with this: javascript:void(location.href='http://www.imdb.com/find?tt=on;nm=on;mx=20;q='+prompt('IMDb: Search for?','')) as the URL.

It'll let you run an IMDb search for anything (movie, person, whatever) without having to go there.

matt35mm

Thanks for that, Ono.

I wouldn't say that Magnolia's ending was abrupt, though, which is more of what this thread is about.  It pissed a lot of people off but it wasn't an abrupt ending so much.  Actually, it took it's sweet time.

I saw Ray last night and felt it ended abruptly.  It had all this stuff happen and then the movie ended like an essay.  We got 2 and a half hours of stuff going on and it basically said with words "... and he continued to make music for 40 more years and was beloved.  The End."

MacGuffin

Although not such an abrupt ending, I think a lot of people were pissed off about not finding out what was in the box (besides a MacGuffin) in Ronin.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

locked stocked ended abrpt-which might have been a good thing
elefunct emded abrupt
7 ended slightly abrupt
"it" ended abrupt
the lost boys did too
resevoir doggies ended brupt
and twin peaks ended abrupt..  IMO

pete

lord of the rings 3 had the most abrupt ending ever.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

tpfkabi

doesn't Mean Streets end kinda like that?
actually a good deal of Marty movies.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Finn

Yeah his movies do (Mean Streets, Who's that Knocking on my Door) but I kinda like that about Scorsese. Some people might not understand what he's doing but I appreciate his storytelling.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Ravi

Quote from: petelord of the rings 3 had the most abrupt ending ever.

It needed at least 6 more endings.  At least.

I thought the ending of PDL was abrupt when I first saw it, but now I like it.