what movie do you wish you made?

Started by ©brad, December 24, 2004, 04:28:39 PM

Slimepuppy

Way of the Gun.

A movie I keep going back to rewatch over and over again.
The movie is all about the characters and their relationships with one another. Just stunning. It keeps coming back with surprises and little hints at things. Listening to the commentary McQuarrie talks about how as a director he took out everything from his own script that explained things a bit too much. Finally a film that does not underestimate its audience.
And the script itself... Infinitely quotable.

"There's always free cheese in a mousetrap."
"You the brains of this operation?" "To tell you the truth, I don't think this is a brains-kind of operation..."
"A plan is a list of things that don't happen."
"You know what I'm gonna tell God when I see him? I'm gonna tell him I was framed."

All with performances to match.

And let's not even begin to talk about the action scenes... Harsh realism.  Where both sides of the conflict actually know what they're doing. Just watch the beginning of the kidnap scene and tell me it isn't one of the most unique (non-)action scenes ever made...

To know that this film practically killed McQuarries career just hurts me so much. Genius stuff, ignored by most critics and definitely by the paying audience.

Yeah, ok, end geekboy rant here...

One film I wish I would have made would also be David Lynch's Lost Highway, but I've tried working with slightly more experimental/avant garde elements and it just ends up being embarrasing for everybody involved... I could never work as intuitively as Lynch does. I need structure and form, but am always amazed by his work and wish I could do something similar...
Hyvässä indie-elokuvassa tulee olla zombi, moottorisaha ja ninjoja.