Where The Wild Things Are

Started by tpfkabi, November 27, 2003, 09:31:27 PM

Gold Trumpet

With the huge buzz and anointed success that this film is already receiving, there is more intrigue into who will win this year's Xixax Awards then next year's. I smell a Paul Thomas Anderson runaway with Where the Wild Things Are.

Stefen

Speaking of PTA, I don't think a trailer has affected me as much as this one has since I saw the Magnolia trailer attached to Green Mile.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

let's not forget that this might be a crushing disappointment!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Quote from: modage on March 26, 2009, 08:51:50 PM

Well, the lofty expectations it's set for itself is nobody else's fault but it's own. If it sucks, it's it's own fault for having awesome marketing.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ghostboy

I agree about the song edits being distracting. I love watching it without audio though.

Gamblour.

This trailer has my vote for best trailer at next year's xixax awards. This is one up there with one of the best trailers I've ever seen. I love the matching shots of the kid running away/towards the camera.
WWPTAD?

Pas

Could be the best trailer ever. I've never rewatched a trailer and this one I'm at about the fifth time, freeze-framing when everything goes too fast to see all the details.

This will be huge.

modage

the best part is all the running. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 26, 2009, 06:23:16 PM
I smell a Paul Thomas Anderson runaway with Where the Wild Things Are.

well, we have Malick too, and as far as I know he just made the best film(s) of this decade...

seriously this is really awesome, I've often thought about how would this board be if it existed back in 99, and now this is happening, there are pretty high expectations for many films and more than anything the caliber of directors is the best there is.

if P needs to find an excuse to return (if he even thinks about it) how about a triple review of jonze, malick and cameron...can't go wrong with that.

Quote from: Stefen on March 26, 2009, 10:03:56 PM
Quote from: modage on March 26, 2009, 08:51:50 PM

Well, the lofty expectations it's set for itself is nobody else's fault but it's own. If it sucks, it's it's own fault for having awesome marketing.

Quote from: Stefen on December 17, 2008, 11:12:36 AM

I don't get why some ppl doubt spike, he has done two AMAZING films, I know this has had many problems but not even the suits can fuck this up, in the end we will see jonze's vision, I have blind faith in this.

Stefen

^I hope so. And I know that if Spike is in charge it will be awesome because what he wants to see is what I and everyone else here will want to see. But if the studio interferes like we've been hearing and change everything to make it as mainstream as possible, it's doomed because what the studios and mainstream audiences want to see is the complete opposite of what we and Spike want to see.

The suits need to just let Spike release HIS movie. I understand they sank a lot of money into it, but Spike's vision could be an all-time classic. It may not break the bank at the box office, but it will be fondly remembered for years to come and I guarantee will be remembered as a classic when all is said and done. If the studio has their way, it'll make a lot of money in the short term, but nobody is going to remember it in the long term.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Fernando on March 27, 2009, 10:32:09 AM
seriously this is really awesome, I've often thought about how would this board be if it existed back in 99, and now this is happening, there are pretty high expectations for many films and more than anything the caliber of directors is the best there is.

I came to the old board in late 1999. I don't remember a lot of the specifics, but I think talk about Magnolia (as far as new movies go) was 90% of the discussion. I remember some discussion about Being John Malovich, but that thread couldn't compete with the monster of a one that Magnolia had. I also think at the time the third most discussed movie was Three Kings.

But it was still an infant board at the time because it had only been newly created once I showed up. It would have been interesting to see 1999 replay itself with a developed crowd like we have now.

RegularKarate

I've been watching the trailer a few times every day for the past couple days and love love love it... the music edits don't bother me and I've fallen in so much love with the trailer that when I listen to the full version of the song, I feel mildly disappointed.

I showed the trailer to my wife last night... she is never impressed by trailers I show her online, but after this one, she just said "Oh my GOD!"... tears in her eyes, the whole nine. 
It's amazing... your teddy-bears have come to life... like LIFE LIFE! 

I agree about the running being the coolest stuff, but the part that always gets me is when the Soprano Monster is crying.

GT, I don't think the first board was up in 99... I'm pretty sure we were still doing the mailing list thing.  The actual board I think started in late 2000 or early 2001.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 27, 2009, 01:02:49 PM
GT, I don't think the first board was up in 99... I'm pretty sure we were still doing the mailing list thing.  The actual board I think started in late 2000 or early 2001.

Yea, after a few hours I started to re-think my post and whether or not I got the date the right. I remember always going to the website in 1999 in anticipation of Magnolia, but it took a little while for the board to start up.

polkablues

Yeah, because I remember signing on as soon as that board had started up, and I hadn't actually seen Magnolia and henceforth gotten interested in PT Anderson until sometime in 2000.  I'm sure we were still talking about a lot of 1999 movies at that point, though.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jtm

this trailer is too awesome for words, so i won't even bother.

but i will say, i'm looking forward to this more than any film that will come out in the next 5 years.