Kenosha Wisconsin's own...Weezer!!

Started by cron, March 12, 2005, 06:22:47 PM

Weezer Announce New Album Title
by A. Y. Keehn | 03.09.2005

Weezer have given their upcoming album a name. The release date is still not set, but the album will be called Make Believe. The first single from the record, "Beverly Hills," will be released to radio stations around March 23. The video for the single was shot at the Playboy Mansion.

Weezer will play at Coachella April 30. A U.S. tour is slated for later on in the year, but dates have not been confirmed.
context, context, context.

UncleJoey

You can listen to the new single here (windows media or real player). It's pretty mediocre, but I'm still looking forward to the new album.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: UncleJoeyYou can listen to the new single here (windows media or real player). It's pretty mediocre, but I'm still looking forward to the new album.

It's big, dumb pop, but that's what I like about Weezer.  Not bad.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

Jeremy Blackman

That's a really boring song. And the lyrics couldn't be worse. It's kind of like the annoying and low-replay-value parts of Maladroit. (But those songs still have energy.)

Pas

Wow I believe this is the baddest single Weezer ever released ...

modage

yes, truly a disgrace.  i officially no longer listen to them.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy Blackmanlow replay value
Amazing. This song gets about 75% worse with each subsequent listening.

Make Believe just leaked

perhaphs the rest of the album's better?  :yabbse-undecided:

Maladroit's first single was Dope Nose, which i still don't like very much,  but that album  had Slob,   which i think is my favorite weezer song. so there,    there's always hope.  

this year = most mediocre comebacks?

Two Lane Blacktop

I can't believe y'all hate it so much.  I mean, it's not art, but it makes me laugh and it sounds pretty good.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

Pubrick

Quote from: cronopiothis year = most mediocre comebacks?
this makes robot rock sound like.. almost good.

music is dead.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Weezer Plot Comeback
New disc harks back to their classic Nineties sound Source: Rolling Stone

After two years of scattered recording sessions -- and two weeks of Metallica-style group therapy -- Weezer have finally finished their fifth album. "It took a long-ass time," drummer Pat Wilson says of Make Believe, which hits stores May 10th.

Blame the delay on Rivers Cuomo's periodic semesters at Harvard -- where the thirty-four-year-old frontman continues to pursue an undergraduate degree -- and on his frequent dissatisfaction with his own songs. "I think Rivers was pretty emotionally divorced from our last two records," says Wilson of 2001's Green Album and 2002's Maladroit. "You can totally hear it. It sounds like we're just kind of stoned out, like a Seventies rock band who tours all the time."

But with the guidance of Audioslave producer Rick Rubin, Cuomo started writing tunes he liked -- and many of them recaptured the naked honesty of 1996's Pinkerton and the band's 1994 debut, the Blue Album.

The first single, "Beverly Hills," is one of Weezer's best-ever pop songs, combining heavy guitar crunch with a melody Wilson says has a "Steve Miller vibe." Its video, shot at the Playboy Mansion, is in the quirky tradition of the Happy Days-themed "Buddy Holly" clip. The probable second single, "We Are All on Drugs," has a pop-metal vibe that evokes Def Leppard.

But other album tracks, such as the power ballad "Peace," sound like autobiographical dispatches from a troubled soul: "All these problems in my mind/Make it hard for me to think," Cuomo sings in a quavering voice over acoustic-guitar strumming. The song climaxes in a choir's worth of overdubbed Cuomo vocal tracks that harmonize on some prototypically Weezer-ish whoa-oh-oh's. The breakup lament "This Is Such a Pity" -- which boasts Cars-like chugging rhythm guitars, a prominent synthesizer part from a cheap Casio and a lengthy guitar solo -- is similarly heartfelt.

"We didn't ever set out and say, 'Let's do a mixture of Pinkerton and the Blue Album with some Maladroit guitar solos,' " says guitarist Brian Bell. "But I think it sounds like that, because that's what we are."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Pubrick
music is dead.

Not only do I hate to agree with you, but also on this subject.

One would hope music would progressively push forward, but we're seeing a trend of remaking old styles without any new invention.  The sad part is, it was garbage then, and it's garbage now (as far as the 80's stuff goes).
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Quote from: WalrusThe sad part is, it was garbage then, and it's garbage now (as far as the 80's stuff goes).

i'm tired of people throwing shit at the eighties. know that it's an unfair cliché.

Stefen

Wasn't Weezer trying to hark back to their early 90's record on every one of their subsequent albums after Pinkerton? I hate when bands are like "It sounds like our old stuff, thats what were going for" cause people and bands evolve and it's impossible to sound like you used to. Weezer sucks anyways. And their name is cheesy, and Rivers wears ugly shirts.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

About Weezer trying to do the Weezer album again and again after Pinkerton, well we can all blame the god damned critics for puting down a great album like Pinkerton.

God critics suck.