Arrested Development

Started by Weak2ndAct, October 24, 2004, 12:25:59 AM

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

It JUST clicked in my head that Pubrick doesn't like the show.

Gamblour.

Quote from: hacksparrow on December 08, 2005, 08:58:31 AM
It JUST clicked in my head that Pubrick doesn't like the show.

It's not that he doesn't like the show. It's just no Curb.
WWPTAD?

Ravi

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/eo/20051208/113409330000.html

SPOILER BELOW, BUT READ THE BOLD

"Arrested Development's" Family Ties
Thursday December 8 5:55 PM ET
By Gina Serpe

Though viewers may come and go--or sometimes never come at all--it's nice to know that even in TV land you can always count on family.

Which is exactly the case at Arrested Development.

Former Family Ties star Justine Bateman has signed on to guest star opposite baby brother Jason on what could be one of the final episodes of the Emmy-winning sitcom.

ADVERTISEMENT
E! Online TV columnist Kristin Veitch first reported the casting news Tuesday, saying sources close to the show confirmed that, in a typically meta move, the erstwhile Mallory Keaton would be playing Michael Bluth (Bateman)'s "sister" in an episode titled "Family Ties."

A press release issued by Fox Thursday elaborated on the news, confirming that Justine is currently filming her guest spot on the show.

Per the network PR department, Michael will investigate the possibility that he may have a long-lost older sister named Nellie Bluth, and to figure out if they are indeed blood, he hires her as a consultant for the Bluth Company. But Michael discovers she's not who he thinks she is.

News of the guest-starring stint comes nearly a year after more disturbing rumors started popping up online that the acting siblings would play potential love interests on the show.

The Bateman double play is the latest stunt casting this season.

Oscar winner Charlize Theron recently wrapped a five-episode stint on the show, playing a mentally disabled British woman who was briefly engaged to Michael. And former Chachi Scott Baio is due back for an encore turn as Bob Loblaw, the attorney who took over as Bluth family lawyer from Barry Zuckerkorn (former Happy Days cousin Henry Winkler, who left to star in CBS' Out of Practice).

The Batemans' all-in-the-family episode is scheduled to air Jan. 9, as Fox burns off the remaing episodes before February sweeps.

Fox benched the criminally low-rated for the duration of November sweeps, and last month cut back the season order from 22 to 13 episodes. The news came after eight shows were already in the can, leaving production just five new episodes to wrap up the Bluth family saga.

At least on Fox. Producer Brian Grazer told CNN last week that he is working feverishly to move the sitcom to another home.

"I think we'll get picked up by some other network, possibly," he said. "You never know.

"I can't tell you anything other than I'm hoping it works out in the way that we want it to. But I'm optimistic."

grand theft sparrow

I just checked my DVR and it looks like Kitchen Confidential is officially gone.  And after the best episode of the run too.  Shame.  But they replaced it with a season 1 episode of AD. 

You know a show is fucked if the network is replacing it with a re-run of another show that's fucked.

tpfkabi

i caught both eps tonight.
so essential it's sorta a mix of The Royal Tenenbaums (narrator w/weird eccentric characters) and Family Guy (quick comedic cuts to something random)?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

RegularKarate

Quote from: bigideas on December 12, 2005, 08:12:13 PM
so essential it's sorta a mix of The Royal Tenenbaums (narrator w/weird eccentric characters) and Family Guy (quick comedic cuts to something random)?

That's absolutely not what it is.  I wouldn't say that it even comes close to that description.

Gamblour.

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 12, 2005, 08:20:57 PM
Quote from: bigideas on December 12, 2005, 08:12:13 PM

That's absolutely not what it is.  I wouldn't say that it even comes close to that description.

Ok, first of all, to reduce the film The Royal Tenenbaums to a description like "narrator w/ weird eccentric characters" is an abomination. I would not agree in the slightest that Arrested Development compares to that. However, after rewatching Tenenbaums this weekend, I have to say there are REAL comparisons to be made, such as Michael and Chaz's wives are dead and the father isn't much of anything. Plus the familial relations between Richie and Margot are comparable to Maeby and George Michael. Beyond the fact that it's an ensemble about a family in shambles, the tone is quite different, the characters and relationships are very different. I'd say the two are related, but kinda like Raging Bull and Rocky are related. You wouldn't lump those together.

As for the Family Guy reference, you're assuming FG attempts to develop character when they cut back. Everytime AD cuts, it's for a good damn reason, beit a plot point we need to know or something humorous about the characters that only adds and enhances who they are. So I'm with RK, I would never describe AD as Family Guy. In fact, this whole notion of summing up a show with a sweeping generalization comparing it two other shows/films is really dumb.
WWPTAD?

Ravi

Quote from: Gamblour on December 13, 2005, 11:25:34 AM
Ok, first of all, to reduce the film The Royal Tenenbaums to a description like "narrator w/ weird eccentric characters" is an abomination. I would not agree in the slightest that Arrested Development compares to that. However, after rewatching Tenenbaums this weekend, I have to say there are REAL comparisons to be made, such as Michael and Chaz's wives are dead and the father isn't much of anything. Plus the familial relations between Richie and Margot are comparable to Maeby and George Michael. Beyond the fact that it's an ensemble about a family in shambles, the tone is quite different, the characters and relationships are very different. I'd say the two are related, but kinda like Raging Bull and Rocky are related. You wouldn't lump those together.

I can see the Royal Tenenbaums connection, though aside from the tone, the characterizations are different.  All the Bluths (except for George Michael and Michael) are pretty damn selfish and clueless 99% of the time.  The Tenenbaum children were brilliant in their childhood and became dejected in adulthood, while the Bluths (except Michael) are like spoiled, overgrown children.

modage

jason bateman described the show as "The Royal Tenenbaums shot like Cops".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

I've always thought of it as The Godfather as written by the creators of Soap.

Gamblour.

Quote from: modage on December 13, 2005, 02:02:16 PM
jason bateman described the show as "The Royal Tenenbaums shot like Cops".

Yeah, I remember that, but what's he know?
WWPTAD?

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Showtime may book 'Arrested'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Will the pay TV environs of Showtime be a friendlier place for the Emmy-winning comedy "Arrested Development"? Word around town this week is that Showtime is in talks with "Arrested" producers 20th Century Fox TV and Imagine TV about picking up the comedy from creator/executive producer Mitch Hurwitz. Sources stressed that the talks are still exploratory and that it would be a big financial commitment on Showtime's part to pick up the show in its current form with a large ensemble cast that includes Jason Bateman, Jeffrey Tambor, Portia de Rossi, Jessica Walter and Will Arnett. "Arrested" was an instant hit with critics following its debut on Fox in late 2003, but the show never could pull in much of a crowd during its run on Fox Broadcasting Co., even after it won the Emmy for best comedy series in 2004. Last month, Fox threw in the towel, cutting its episode order for "Arrested's" third season from its initial 22-episode ticket to 13. Reps for Showtime, 20th and Imagine declined comment late Tuesday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 14, 2005, 12:01:56 AM
Showtime may book 'Arrested'

HA!  Called it!

Quote from: hacksparrow on November 10, 2005, 08:32:27 PMdare I say it... Help me, Showtime, you're my only hope!

Now, I'll HAVE to get Showtime.