Started by Weak2ndAct, October 24, 2004, 12:25:59 AM

Ravi

Quote from: edison on November 19, 2005, 01:14:13 PM
So how does 12.99 for season 2 sound?

I've made a huge mistake.

Tryskadekafobia

Inside Move: Latest 'Development' is one to remember
Source: Variety

"Arrested Development" creator Mitch Hurwitz isn't giving up on his show -- but he is using an upcoming episode to poke fun at the skein's latest near-death experience.

Seg, dubbed "S.O.B.s" -- for "Save Our Bluths" -- finds the show's Bluth family fighting to save their fictional construction company. They decide to mount a big event -- "Some kind of 'Save Our Bluths' type thing," as George Bluth Sr. says in the script for the episode.

"It's very self-referential," Hurwitz told Daily Variety, noting that he finished the final draft of the shooting script Wednesday.

In one scene, Jason Bateman's character, Michael, notes, "Our backs are against the wall. ... It's just hard for me to accept that it's really come to begging."

There's also a conversation about whether the Home Builders Organization -- HBO -- might be willing to save the Bluths. When that idea is nixed, George Sr. says, "I guess it's Showtime. We'll put on some kind of show at the dinner."

Episode also makes note of the show's recent round of guest stars, such as Charlize Theron, and even includes an appearance by the star of another critical darling killed by Fox, Andy Richter. Hurwitz is hoping to round up some other major names to make a pointless-but-funny cameo.

Script is even-handed, however, acknowledging critics -- perhaps even those inside Fox -- who've complained "Arrested" simply isn't a mass-appeal show.

"We've had plenty of chances," Bateman's character says. "Maybe the Bluths just aren't worth saving. Maybe we're just not that likeable. Who'd want to spend a half-hour with us if they didn't have to?"

As Hurwitz moves forward with what could be the final five episodes of "Arrested," the scribe said he's still digesting last week's double dose of bad news. Skein's order was cut to 13 episodes, and the show was pulled from sweeps (Daily Variety, Nov. 11).

"It's a very challenging show to do right," Hurwitz said. "It's even harder to do without hope. We're trying not to be discouraged ... the only thing that discourages me is the prospect that they won't show these episodes."

Hurwitz declined to take any major jabs at Fox but did lament what he feels is a lack of on-air hype. "They made the decision to not promote the show," he said, noting other skeins with better lead-ins got more support even though "Arrested" had to open a new night of comedy for Fox.

But he also said he understood the dilemma Fox execs face. "This show may not be for everybody. We always have to consider that," he said. "This is more than I ever expected. I've got nothing to complain about."

Hurwitz is also holding out hope of a "Family Guy"-style renaissance, particularly if DVD sales continue as strongly as they have been. "All of a sudden the new rule, instead of getting 25 episodes a year, could now be, let's get enough episodes to sell DVDs every year."

While the writing seems to be on the wall for "Arrested," Hurwitz has been down this road before.

"I feel a little naive in saying it, but this time last year they cut our order from 22 to 18. I got a lot of condolence calls, and I looked silly when I told them, 'Oh, there might be a third season,' " Hurwitz recalled. "Nobody has said the word 'canceled.'

Gamblour.

First off, what the fuck is a skein? Secondly, I rewatched season 2 a while back and there was a very subtle reference to the show's season getting cut back. Michael's on the phone, and a contractor pulls back the amount of houses it wants. We only hear Michael say something like, "What, they wanted 22 houses, now they only want 18?" Something like that, my roommate had to point it out to me. This new episode sounds pretty fucking hilarious.
WWPTAD?

modage

yeah the housing order getting cut back was a direct reference to AD's fate at fox.  they even say things like 'thats a very bad sign'.  i was wondering (because of that ep) if they would have time to comment on the shows impending cancellation or if they'd already written/shot the remainder of the episodes.  i'm glad atleast they're able to react to it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weird. Oh

Arrested Development is doomed.....for sure....(although I do love the character)

SCOTT BAIO

"As much as I agree that Ted McGinley has got to be the patron saint of shark jumping, you have to at least consider Scott Baio as a close second.  The man has destroyed more television shows than Godzilla.  He is the antithesis of good television, the bane of good programming everywhere.  Television Producers should avoid him like the plague. Happy Days, Joanie Loves Chachi, Charles in Charge, Baby Talk, Diagnosis Murder..... Somebody stop this man before he kills again! -

from jumptheshark.com
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

grand theft sparrow

You can't blame Scott Baio for Happy Days going off... that was McGinley's fault!  Baby Talk would have been cancelled regardless of who was in it, Diagnosis Murder's target audience very slowly but surely died off, and I was watching re-runs of Charles in Charge recently... that show is pretty terrible.  I can't believe I used to watch it as a kid.  It's not Scott Baio's fault!

I'm just in denial, aren't I?

Ravi

I used to watch Charles in Charge and Baby Talk, and Happy Days is a given.  I had a Baio-filled childhood.

edison

I guess no one saw the new episode on monday?

Just when it gets canceled they return with a very hilarious episode that really made up for some of those weird episodes with Charlize. Here they wrap everything up nicely with her and the final scene with tobias was classic.

modage

i saw it.  i also thought it was one of the better ones this season.  "i've made a huge mistake."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Ravi

The best episode of the season so far is the one with the Church and State Fair.

Gamblour.

i don't remember that one...?
WWPTAD?

tpfkabi

i had watched one episode so far, but didn't find it very funny.
i did watch last night's episode and thought it was great.
so tell me how this ep rates among the rest of the series.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

season one & two = the best thing ever
season three = the best sitcom currently on network tv

JG

Quote from: modage on December 06, 2005, 10:38:41 PM
season one & two = the best thing ever
season three = the best sitcom currently on network tv

i agree