Arrested Development

Started by Weak2ndAct, October 24, 2004, 12:25:59 AM

Pubrick

Quote from: Sleuththis is one of the best shows on TV in a looooong time, even beats out some other famous HBO comedies.
no, it really doesn't.

i finished season one tonite, saw 2 commentary episodes, plus the other extras. so i'll get the bad part out of the way first.. this show is definitely overrated.

it's no curb, office, or sumthin else i can't think of right now. however, and this is a powerful word, HOWEVER:

i enjoyed it very much. my favorite ppl were easily Tobias and Gob, i think they are the most perfectly cast roles i've ever seen. they single handedly elevate the show into its own realm of sincere comedic brilliance. besides that my enjoyment increased exponentially when they discontinued the marta story. i can't wait for season 2, and to see if george-michael does mayby. she is hot.

the framing is much better at 4:3, ur able to understand all the minute razzooms* that can be tedious on widescreen.

overall i would place this third after curb and the office in the ranks of new-millennium comedies.

*i made up this word, i think it means razor sharp zooms.
under the paving stones.

modage

yeah i was disappointed as well when they dropped the marta storyline, although i had actually caught marta #2 first on a rerun before i saw the original one so the actress switch didnt bother me as much because i knew it was coming.  although it does seem inexplicable, i wonder what the reason was?  i've never seen curb, but if its better than this than i'm excited.  

i thought last weeks tv premiere was sort of a disappointment, so hopefully they'll get back into the groove.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

In the commentary, the cast seemed really upset when Marta#1 was briefly mentionedad>cye
I like to hug dogs

modage

because they miss her, or because they hate her?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

actually when portia de rossi i think mentioned she hadn't noticed marta had been replaced the spite (as well as from the others) seemed directed at the new marta. but then in the last episode commentary they do joke about her crashing a plane..  :shock:

at the very least, it was at both.
under the paving stones.

edison

Episode 2 was pretty funny......some funny stuff from Cross, running around following Portia while painted blue.

modage

i was a little disappointed with the season opener, 2 was better and the last two have been on par with some of the best season 1.  yeah tonights episode was a riot.  the peanuts theme!  busters stripper army uniform!  the sadaam hole!  just awesome hilarious.  i wonder if the ratings are any better?  or if they continue to win emmys if it will matter?

RegularKarate

I think this season might end up better than the first.  Last night's episode might be my favorite so far.  It was really jam-packed with good shit.

Weak2ndAct

I'm still smiling over the fact that they actually got a red dog house and a dog sleeping on it... christ, that's wonderful!  And I love how they keep referencing bits from last season ('slut' and the tomb gag).  Gob's gay flashbacks also a howler.  They should bring back Marta and have a third actress play her.

Sleuth

a few days ago Gervais confirmed he'd be on AD
I like to hug dogs

modage

Sleuth

A couple of days ago he told me personally on AIM by linking me

here

and then today

there's this which has a lot more info on other stuff that you'd all be interested in
I like to hug dogs

Bethie

This show is pretty good. 8)  I'm up to episode 18 in season one. I love the narration.

I DID notice a change in Marta but didn't think anything of it. haha. The first one is much prettier.

The special guest are always fun and some surprised me! i.e. Heather Graham, James Lipton, Amy Poehler, Julia Louis Dreyfus.

My fav character is Lindsay. She has nice hair, great style, loves money, is carefree, and is just a halfwit.

Gob annoys me. I wish it really was him on that scooter during the night when Lucille tried to run him off the road.

Buster should be put in some institution. He's retarded. I like when he acts normal. (well less retarded shall we say)

Oh, I love Lucille. She's so cold hearted.

Michael is just cute. You can't take him seriously. haha.

who likes movies anyway

modage

WORST...RUMOR....EVER
Source:  AICN

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT Shuttered??
I am – Hercules!!

Is the banana stand closing shop?
Did Fox lose all confidence in "Arrested Development" when the Hollywood Association of Waiters and Cabdriv ... er, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association decided to bestow its all-important "best comedy" Golden Globe on "Desperate Housewives" instead?
A Jimmy Kimmel viewer relates:

I was not too worried, but obviously upset when earlier today their 22 episode season was reduced to 18 in favour of more American Dad, but David Cross on Jimmy Kimmel tonight said the show "stopped production" this morning. It sounds like they are more or less through. Which is just truly terrible, as this was one of the remaining watchable TV programs, and probably the best comedy around. Please post this so others can be aware and maybe help.

Well, yes, when the order is trimmed, production will stop sooner rather than later. But did Cross say something about it defintitely not starting up again next season?

As far as I know, Fox has not formally pulled the plug on "Arrested," and has at least till mid-May to decide if the comedy will turn up on its 2005-06 slate. Still, giving the borrible "American Dad" its timeslot for May sweeps? Not the best sign.

My advice for "Development" fans? Sign up for cable.