End-of-Year DVD Wish List

Started by Find Your Magali, September 24, 2003, 08:53:12 AM

Find Your Magali

What DVDs are you most looking forward to between now and the end of 2003?

Call it a "Holiday Wish List," if you will

Anyway, I've narrowed my list to six movies or sets. (And I'm not counting Fargo or Treasure of the Sierra Madre, as I already have them on order)

MY TOP SIX (subject to change on a whim)
1. A Midnight Clear, Oct. 7
2. Indiana Jones trilogy, Oct. 21
3. Looney Tunes -- Golden Collection, Oct. 28
4. The Two Towers, Extended Edition, Nov. 18
5. Once Upon a Time in the West, Nov. 18
6. Scorsese's "My Voyage to Italy," no date, but I think it's expected before the end of the year

ShanghaiOrange

1. Space Ghost C2C/ Aqua Teen Hunger Force
2. UCB/Strangers With Candy
3. Looney Tunes
4. Once Upon A Time in The West
5. Indiana Jones
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

SoNowThen

Quote from: Find Your Magali
3. Looney Tunes -- Golden Collection, Oct. 28
4. The Two Towers, Extended Edition, Nov. 18
5. Once Upon a Time in the West, Nov. 18
6. Scorsese's "My Voyage to Italy," no date, but I think it's expected before the end of the year

Those, plus...

The Red Circle
La Strada
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Find Your Magali

Well, of course, I've forgotten Ozu's "Tokyo Story" next month. That would bump "A Midnight Clear" from my top six. Or I'll just make a Top Seven.  :-D

And it will be hard for me to resist December's "Escape From New York." ... The Carpenter/Russell commentaries on The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China were so entertaining, I must have more of them!

SoNowThen

I'm having some trouble deciding about my blind buys coming up... maybe you guys can help.

I've seen Good Morning, and thought it was okay, though I wouldn't watch it again. But everyone seems to talk about Ozu, particularily Toyko Story and Floating Weeds. Should I just bb these as they come out?

Also, what's the thoughts on Knife In The Water? If I loved Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby, should I just bb this as well?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

1.) Indiana Jones
2.) Once Upon A Time In The West
3.) Naked Lunch (Criterion)
4.) Matrix Reloaded
5.) Laura
6.) Schizopolis (Criterion)
7.) Lord Of The Rings (Extended)
8.) Ox-Bow Incident

Alien Quadrilogy & Wild At Heart when those dates are officially announced.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatwad

Fargo (SE)
Le Cercle Rouge (Criterion)
Space Ghost C2C
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
UCB
and Pumping Iron of course

Derek237

ShanghaiOrange

Quote from: MeatwadFargo (SE)
Le Cercle Rouge (Criterion)
Space Ghost C2C
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
UCB
and Pumping Iron of course

I like you. :(

Last five films (video)

modage

1. The Alien Quadrilogy Box Set 9 Disc
2. The Indiana Jones Trilogy Box Set 4 Disc
3. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers 4 Disc
4. Once Upon A Time In The West 2 Disc
5. Pirates Of The Carribean: 2 Disc
6. Finding Nemo: 2 Disc
7. X2: 2 Disc
8. The Matrix Reloaded 2 Disc
9. The Hulk: 2 Disc
10. JFK: 2 Disc
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatwad

Quote from: ShanghaiOrange

I like you. :(

what is the :( for?

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (video)

cine

in order of significance/purchase to me
1. Warner Legends Collection (Yankee Doodle Dandy, Robin Hood, Treasure of S.M.)
2. Tokyo Story
3. The Red Circle
4. La Strada
5. The Apu Trilogy
6. Indiana Jones
7. Laura
8. Finding Nemo
9. Looney Tunes
10. Scarface

Scorsese's documentary can wait as I have it on VHS for now.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Cinephile1. Warner Legends Collection (Yankee Doodle Dandy, Robin Hood, Treasure of S.M.)

I have read some really great things about The Adventures of Robin Hood, and am intrigued enough to consider making a blind buy. It really was the big-budget spectacle for its day.

Can't go wrong with Flynn, de Havilland, Rains and Rathbone, can you?

---------------

My 300th post has been brought to you by:

The Letter "P"

and the number "5"

pookiethecat

in order of significance:
1. Boys Don't Cry
2. Mulholland Drive
3. Indiana Jones Trilogy
4. Fucking Amal
5. Adaptation
6. Daniel Deronda