Question for Sigur Ros....

Started by aclockworkjj, July 20, 2003, 12:52:13 AM

aclockworkjj

Okay, I don't speak the language.....so I was wondering if the lyrics translate they way I think I am hearing them....

alot of the lyrics seem really sincere, maybe enchanting...I am not sure how to describe it...but at the same sense, the lyrics too could possibly be more on a morbid side....and I wouldn't know the difference.

my question:
How do the lyrics translate into English????

Pubrick

go here: http://www.alwaysontherun.net/sigur.htm take note that for Ágætis Byrjun they say "A Pretty Good Beginning" but it sounds better as "An Alright Start".. and Svefn-g-englar should be Sleepwalkers.

all lyrics translated adequately to english, the one that read best is Ný Batterí (New Batteries). ur right in that they sound and are enchanting, mostly they describe a dreamy landscape and the hassle of waking up. by hassle i mean the dissapointment that dreams don't always translate perfectly to reality. tho these ppl come closer than anyone.

so far only Von an ágætis byrjun are in icelandic, and () is in hopelandic which is not a real language.
under the paving stones.

aclockworkjj

cool P ...thxs for the help....

Even though I can kinda tell a lot probably gets lost in translation, I definately get the jist.....and I don't think it's too far off from what was dancing in my head....

good stuff...

Quote from: Pthey sound and are enchanting, mostly they describe a dreamy landscape and the hassle of waking up. by hassle i mean the dissapointment that dreams don't always translate perfectly to reality. tho these ppl come closer than anyone.

and...yeah, that's exactly what I was looking for to describe it.....very well put....

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaiThe language isn't as made up as everyone think it is. 8)
explain.. what do the words in Olsen Olsen or anything in () sound like?
under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Phttp://www.alwaysontherun.net/sigur.htm

I think you said it. Though some of the translations are a little weird.

My favorite Sigur Rós title: Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása

aclockworkjj

I just downloaded the video....sigur ros - svefn-englar....I dunno if it is labeled right, as people are dipshits, but I am enjoying it.....people in white running around a field.....anyone else know what I am talking about?

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Sigur Rós

Quote from: aclockworkjjI just downloaded the video....sigur ros - svefn-englar....I dunno if it is labeled right, as people are dipshits, but I am enjoying it.....people in white running around a field.....anyone else know what I am talking about?

Yeah, angels with down-syndrom!  :wink:

RegularKarate

I have a question for Sigur Ros...

I'm gonna go see Kronos Quartet this fall and on the program for the show it says they will be playing songs written for them by other people.  Among the bands and composers listed was you (Sigur Ros).

What I want to know is if you (Sigur Ros) really wrote a song especially for them and that tour or if they are just playing a song of one of your (Sigur Ros') albums.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: RegularKarateI have a question for Sigur Ros...

I'm gonna go see Kronos Quartet this fall and on the program for the show it says they will be playing songs written for them by other people.  Among the bands and composers listed was you (Sigur Ros).

What I want to know is if you (Sigur Ros) really wrote a song especially for them and that tour or if they are just playing a song of one of your (Sigur Ros') albums.

No, I think they are either playing 'Svefn-g-englar' or 'Flugufrelsarinn'.