good films that you probably havent seen yet

Started by Kumar, January 16, 2003, 11:41:59 PM

Kumar

what are some good movies that you would suggest seeing?

I have found this little video store with thousands of great movies that you cant find at "blockbuster", but I dont know where to start. Any suggestions? :shock:
When the going gets werid, the werid turn pro.

MacGuffin

I'm making suggestions that aren't usually brought to mind or recommended:

"The Waterdance" (Mark Jimenez took an autobiographical, life changing event and turned it into a wonderful film)
"The Chocolate War" (great adaptation of the novel, directed by Keith Gordon)
"Homicide" (David Mamet film that hardly gets mentioned when talking about him)
"Last Exit To Brooklyn" (another great film adapation of a Herbert "Requiem For A Dream" Selby Jr. novel; Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance is one of her best)
"The Rapture" (Michael Tolkin is always credited with writing "The Player", but never a mention of this film he wrote and directed about the apocalypse)
"Before Night Falls" and "Basquiat" (both directed by Julian Schnabel, both great)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

xerxes

i second 'before night falls.'  an amazing book by the way... i'd also like to add, 'after life' by hirokazu kore-eda... great film... someone should see it

Kumar

When the going gets werid, the werid turn pro.

b/a

Quote from: xerxesi'd also like to add, 'after life' by hirokazu kore-eda... great film... someone should see it

I have seen it...several times actually. It is amazing. One of my favorites.
"Film is truth 24 times a second"-JLG

Ghostboy

b/a, you reminded me in your directors thread about Jodorowsky. Anyone who want to see something really strange and beatiful should check out his films, although the only ones I've seen are Santa Sangre and El Topo. I hear Marilyn Manson and Jodorowsky are teaming up for Son Of El Topo, or something like that.

b/a

Quote from: Ghostboyb/a, you reminded me in your directors thread about Jodorowsky. Anyone who want to see something really strange and beatiful should check out his films, although the only ones I've seen are Santa Sangre and El Topo. I hear Marilyn Manson and Jodorowsky are teaming up for Son Of El Topo, or something like that.

Yeah, I heard about that too. Sounds interesting. All of his films are good. Santa Sangre and El Topo especially. You should also check out Holy Mountain and Fando and Lis.
"Film is truth 24 times a second"-JLG

xerxes

Quote from: b/a
I have seen it...several times actually. It is amazing. One of my favorites.

glad someone has...

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=510