Where The Wild Things Are

Started by tpfkabi, November 27, 2003, 09:31:27 PM

w/o horse

Quote from: New Feeling on April 07, 2009, 02:23:36 PM
Quote from: w/o horse on April 07, 2009, 11:18:36 AM
Quote from: picolas on April 06, 2009, 10:03:21 PM
Quote from: w/o horse on April 06, 2009, 09:40:35 PMI don't harbor that level of emotionally fantastic dreamscape within my personality
are you trying to say you don't have an imagination? i'm confused by what that means.

the trailer was mainly (fucking perfect) wild things and a running child (running through fucking perfect, beautiful environments), yeah. it was a damn good trailer.. it's not going to tell you the whole story.

I'm saying my childhood was largely filled with more tangible and practical imaginings.  Just a different type.  The fantasy world stuff I've never latched onto.

yeah but even if you don't exactly imagine the fantastic, does that really render you incapable of enjoying the fantastic/poetic imaginings of others?  Can't you be excited about the very real drama that is inherent whenever a group of talented and passionate people get together and try to share something important to them with the world?  My mind generally steers towards the more realistic but I'm still damn excited by the prospect of a wonderful family film from someone other than Pixar coming down the pike. 

Oh sure, maybe.  I'll have to see the film to find out.

I just think the trailer is kind of silly and people are really convincing themselves they like it before there's any kind of evidence.  Which that sort of willful anticipation I can relate to in many instances but not this one.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Pas

RegularKarate

Quote from: w/o horse on April 07, 2009, 11:10:18 PM
I just think the trailer is kind of silly and people are really convincing themselves they like it before there's any kind of evidence. 

I know some people are going to not like this trailer, but I still don't get this statement.

I understand that you were never a real kid and therefore can't imagine your teddy-bears coming to life and stealing you away from the harsh realities of life, but how can you not at least appreciate how amazing the monsters look?  And they are able to express emotion so well.

This is impressive... Childhood love of a book or not.

Reinhold

not to mention the technical skill of pulling that together... tracking animated faces onto moving, hairy non-human objects with humans inside them (which means that the costumes are constantly moving slightly, even when apparently still)  is a huge undertaking. the grading and light is beautiful. max's look is right. it's coming together so soildly that, aside from the font, i don't see what there could be not to like.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Jefferson

as a childhood fan of the book i've been excited about this from the start, and after finally seeing the trailer im still jazzed, just in a slightly different way. i agree to a point with those saying that it seems a bit silly, but whereas that would generally be a turn off for me i found that this one wasn't. while it wasn't neccesarily as engaging as i expected it to be, i found myself really enjoying the fraggle rock/spirit of the beehive feeling i was picking up. maybe it won't be anything like that, but regardless, my interest is still there.

polkablues

I don't understand how this looks silly. Judging from the trailer, this movie was made in the least silly possible way without just abandoning entirely what the book is about. For a frame of reference for "silly", watch the trailer for the new Robert Rodriguez movie. The difference is pretty clear.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pozer

the idea of it sounded silly at first in the way making a movie based on a Disneyland ride sounded silly. but the trailer proved it is not silly and i dont think my niece & nephew & myself watch it together repeatedly because we've convinced ourselves we'd like it pre-trailer. in fact, one time they were reading the book together and i said "did you guys know they're making a movie about this?" and they replied "that would be ridiculous. piss off, uncle."

SiliasRuby

They talk to their uncle that way?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

Quote from: Pozer on April 09, 2009, 03:16:09 PM
in fact, one time they were reading the book together and i said "did you guys know they're making a movie about this?" and they replied "that would be ridiculous. piss off, uncle."

lol
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

w/o horse

Basically imagine how you likely feel about the Transformers 2 trailer, and that's how I feel about this movie.

I mean ultimately it's not the technical achievements I give a shit about.  And I don't mean to engage in either a battle of semantics or a speculative disagreement over the merits of a film that I haven't seen.  It could be the best movie ever for all I know.  I think it's basically a sentimental trailer with all brass and no balls, and I don't give a slightest fuck about wild things (you know Wild Things costumes sell for upwards to $300 right now?  The gf told me this so if she's wrong I'll kill her, but point is, + with the shirts and shoes and anticipation, the fanbase was already obviously built into this film, and I'm 100% sure that MOST (so the exceptions can stay relaxed) people who like this trailer already liked the Wild Things whatevertheyare in the first place).

There's zero difference between this trailer and like Jonze's Nike ads, in my opinion.  And I wouldn't want to watch a full length version of a Nike ad.

I think everyone is being respectful about my opinion though and I appreciate that because I know there's some real expectations for the film.  Like I've said, I've got nothing fundamentally against the movie.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

New Feeling

so are you saying you feel the same way about Spike Jonze that I feel about Michael Bay?  I'm so disinterested in Tr2 that I will probably never watch the trailer.  I don't think I ever watched the trailer for the first one. 

It's obvious that if Spike got to adapt an ad or anything else into a feature film it would be worth checking out and being excited about.  He is a pretty visionary type dude IMO.  Are you not a fan of his or something?

ps don't kill your GF

Reinhold

Quote from: w/o horse on April 09, 2009, 09:02:19 PM
Basically imagine how you likely feel about the Transformers 2 trailer, and that's how I feel about this movie.

I mean ultimately it's not the technical achievements I give a shit about.  And I don't mean to engage in either a battle of semantics or a speculative disagreement over the merits of a film that I haven't seen.  It could be the best movie ever for all I know.  I think it's basically a sentimental trailer with all brass and no balls, and I don't give a slightest fuck about wild things (you know Wild Things costumes sell for upwards to $300 right now?  The gf told me this so if she's wrong I'll kill her, but point is, + with the shirts and shoes and anticipation, the fanbase was already obviously built into this film, and I'm 100% sure that MOST (so the exceptions can stay relaxed) people who like this trailer already liked the Wild Things whatevertheyare in the first place).

There's zero difference between this trailer and like Jonze's Nike ads, in my opinion.  And I wouldn't want to watch a full length version of a Nike ad.

I think everyone is being respectful about my opinion though and I appreciate that because I know there's some real expectations for the film.  Like I've said, I've got nothing fundamentally against the movie.

that's a little puzzling to me... jonze has demonstrated so much more sensitivity to the potential of the medium for thoughtful storytelling rather than the pure spectacle of Bay. sure he's handling a piece that a lot of people want to spend money on here, but that doesn't make it transformers 2.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

cine

obama read this story to kids today at the easter egg roll.

looking forward to MSNBC's coverage of spike jonze being invited to the white house.

squints

Spike Jonze's New Project:

the font is the funniest part.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

Quote from: squints on April 15, 2009, 02:01:07 AM
Spike Jonze's New Project:

the font is the funniest part.

This has been going around far too much in the past couple weeks... it's not funny.