Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

Myxo

Quote from: Pozer on October 05, 2011, 06:42:12 PM
Steve Jobs. pretty sure.

Fucking hell man, 56 is way too young to die. At least he lived a life worth living.

pete

also, civil rights fighter Fred Shuttlesworth.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

mogwai

Former Weezer bassist Mikey Welsh has died at the age of 40.

Welsh passed away "unexpectedly" yesterday (October 8 ) according to a posting by his family on his Twitter account Twitter.com/mikeywelsh71.

The statement added: We are deeply saddened to announce that Mikey Welsh passed away unexpectedly. He will forever be remembered as an amazing father, artist, and friend. May he rest in peace.

The band also paid their respects on their own Twitter account Twitter.com/Weezer, writing: "We are shocked and deeply saddened to hear the awful news, our friend and fellow Weezer rocker @mikeywelsh71 has passed away. We love you Mikey."

Current bassist Scott Shriner later added his own tribute to Welsh. "Really bummed about Mikey," he wrote on his Twitter page Twitter.com/sgs711. "My heart goes out to his family and friends. Such a talent... he made a special mark on the world with his art."

Drummer Patrick Wilson also wrote on his own Twitter account Twitter.com/patrickwilson: "Rest in peace Mikey Welsh, you deserve it."

The cause of Welsh's death is yet to be determined.
He joined the band in 2000 after original bassist Matt Sharp left in 1998. Welsh played with Weezer until August 2001 and appeared on hits from their self-titled album that year, also known as 'The Green Album', including 'Island In The Sun' and 'Hashpipe'.

In the same year, the Boston-based musician suffered a mental breakdown and later attempted suicide before he quit the band.

In his later years he dedicated himself to painting and he worked on large-scale figures and abstracts.

In the weeks leading up to his passing, Welsh posted a series of cryptic tweets writing on September 26: "Dreamt I died in Chicago next weekend (heart attack in my sleep). Need to write my will today."

Reel

( Krug from Last House on the Left )

Reel

Reel

Andy Rooney died yesterday. I thought he was already dead  :ponder:  Oh well, bye Andy Rooney!

mogwai

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Ravi

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/44578-rip-heavy-d/

R.I.P. Heavy D
Jamaican-born rapper/producer dead at 44
By Carrie Battan, November 8, 2011 4:40 p.m. CT

TMZ is reporting that rapper and producer Heavy D was pronounced dead at a hospital in Los Angeles this afternoon at the age of 44. The Jamaican-born artist led the hip-hop group Heavy D & the Boyz, an act that experienced huge success in the late-1980s and 90s.

Heavy D's final tweet was: "BE INSPIRED!" Below, watch Heavy D & the Boyz' video for "Now That We Found Love" [ft. Aaron Hall], a hit single for the group that appeared on their 1991 album Peaceful Journey, and was originally recorded by the O'Jays:

MacGuffin

Ken Russell dies aged 84

Ken Russell, the British film director, has died aged 84.

Russell, known for his controversial films such as Women in Love and The Devils, died in hospital on Sunday following a series of strokes, his son Alex Verney-Elliott said.

The director, who began his career in television, was praised today as an "innovative" director, who made a "unique" contribution to British film-making.

Russell had been battling illness for many years but died "peacefully" in his sleep with a smile on his face, friends and family said.

Fellow director Michael Winner said: "He had been terribly, terribly ill for some time.

"I've known Ken since 1968. He was the most innovative director.

"I persuaded Oliver Reed to work with him even though Oliver said 'I'm not a TV star, I'm a movie star'.

"His television was in a field of its own, it was absolutely extraordinary. Then he graduated to movies."

Winner added: "He was also a very nice person. He was very cheerful and very well-meaning.

"He had a very good run even though his style of picture-making became obsolete, but that happened to everyone, Billy Wilder and Hitchcock.

"His contribution to TV and cinema in this country is absolutely unique. He took it into areas it hadn't been before.

"They were riveting movies and TV because this strange mind was at work."

Winner said Russell would be best remembered for The Devils.

"What the censor took out of The Devils was almost as long as the rest of the movie," he said.

Mr Verney-Elliott added: "My father died peacefully. He had had a series of strokes. He died with a smile on his face."

Described as the enfant terrible of British cinema, Russell is regarded as one of the most acclaimed and controversial film directors of his generation.

He was born on July 3, 1927 in Southampton and, at the age of ten, was given a film projector which sparked his love of movies.

He was sent to Pangbourne Nautical College at the age of 15, but found the discipline irksome. Even so, he entered the Merchant Navy as sixth officer on a cargo ship bound for the Pacific.

After the Second World War, his fascination with the sea ended, and his family assumed he would enter the shoe business, a prospect which horrified him.

Russell tried without success to enter the film business, but in his early 20s he turned his attention to ballet and classical music.

For five years he attended dance school and toured with dance troupes, before finally accepting that he was not a good dancer.

Then he turned to fashion photography and started to make some black and white silent films. He took one of these films Amelia to the BBC and as a result he landed a job on the Monitor arts programme.

He continued to make movies and his film on composer Edward Elgar became one of the most popular shows on TV and was largely responsible for the revival of Elgar's music.

Overall, Russell made some 32 films for the Monitor and Omnibus programmes and established himself as one of the finest directors in British television.

He was then given the opportunity of directing outside TV and his film Women in Love was not only a landmark in British cinema but for Russell as well.

The sexually-graphic 1969 adaptation of D H Lawrence's novel earned him an Oscar nomination and international recognition with Glenda Jackson picking up the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in the movie.

The late actor Oliver Reed, who wrestled naked with Alan Bates in the film, said that Russell "started to go crazy" when he worked with him on the film.

Reed said: "Before that he was a sane, likeable TV director. Now he's an insane, likeable film director."

The success - and notoriety - of Women in Love enabled Russell to cast aside any inhibitions and to embark on outlandish pseudo-biographical films which helped to earn him the reputation which he craved: that of an unconventional eccentric on the wild side.

In the 1970s his talents blossomed and over the next two decades he was to direct a succession of remarkable films, most of them containing his trademark flamboyance.

These included The Music Lovers, Savage Messiah, Mahler, Lisztomania and Valentino. In 1971 he moved from the X-rated The Devils to The Boy Friend which he turned into a homage to 1930s movie musicals.

In 1975 he turned his attention to The Who's rock opera Tommy, but later returned to small budget, but no less flamboyant fare, including Crimes of Passion, Gothic, Salome's Last Dance and the cult horror-comedy The Lair of the White Worm.

Later, he was to revisit Lawrence for a straightforward adaptation of The Rainbow followed by the gritty, Whore.

The following year he was to direct Richard Dreyfuss in the TV movie Prisoner of Honour. He also tried a music video, making Nikita for Elton John.

Russell was always vulgar and outrageous but seen, too, as a master stylist. He published an autobiography Altered States in 1992 and a broad-ranging collection of film critiques, The Lion Roars two years later.

One of the most unlikely chapters of his career was a stint in the Celebrity Big Brother house in 2007.

He lasted just four days, driven out in the wake of a row about contestants having to wait on Jade Goody and her family.

Russell had earlier started in good spirits, performing Singin' In The Rain as he entered the house. But as he left he spoke about the divisiveness created by being in the house, saying: "I don't want to live in a society riddled with evil and hatred."

In later years his film-making efforts were rather low-budget affairs such as his The Fall Of The Louse Of Usher which was panned by the critics.

Four-times married Russell also took a number of cameo roles in the past decade, appearing in his own films as well as movies such as Brothers Of The Head and Colour Me Kubrick.

In 2006, he and his fourth wife, Elise, lost almost everything when their home in the New Forest burnt down.

Russell was at a doctor's appointment when the fire at the 16th century cottage began, while she was in the bath. As well as his home and belongings, he also lost work on a number of ongoing projects.

Among those paying tribute today was broadcaster and film critic Jonathan Ross, who tweeted: "RIP Ken Russell. A film-maker of rare vision and unique talent. Also, a lovely man to spend time with. Sad day."

Choreographer and former Strictly Come Dancing judge Arlene Phillips, who worked on Ken Russell's The ABC Of British Music, wrote: "A sad goodbye Ken Russell and thank you for the crazy but extraordinary work I did with you."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

He was one of the great ones.

Kubrick used to mention him all the time, even after his fall from grace (maybe because of it).

Cue obligatory phoney sudden interest in him.
under the paving stones.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

Quote from: 72teeth on November 30, 2011, 10:09:51 PM
Patrice O'neal  :cry:

he was awesome. I mostly listened to him on the Opie and Anthony show. There's a collection of his guest spots here.

mogwai

Brazil football legend Socrates dies at 57

Former Brazil captain Socrates has died at the age of 57.

He had been in a critical condition with an intestinal infection since being admitted to intensive care on Friday at a hospital in Sao Paulo.

Socrates, who was widely regarded as one of the greatest ever midfielders, was moved onto a life support machine on Saturday.

He played in two World Cups, won 60 caps for his country between 1979 and 1986 and scored 22 goals.

The former Corinthians player, whose full name was Socrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Sousa Vieira de Oliveira, was taken to the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo with food poisoning on Friday, according to his wife.

A hospital statement said on Saturday that the former footballer was "in a critical condition due to a septic shock of intestinal origin".

It added he was breathing with a ventilator and using a dialysis machine.

Socrates was taken to hospital twice in August and September this year with bleeding in his digestive tract.

After these incidents he admitted he had problems with alcohol, especially so during his playing career. He is also well known for his smoking habit.

In a recent television interview, Socrates said he had considered alcohol his "companion" but believed its regular use did not affect his performance on the field.

"Alcohol did not affect my career, in part because I never had the physical build to play this game," he said.

"Soccer became my profession only when I was already 24. I was too thin and when I was young I did not have the opportunity to prepare myself physically for the sport."

Ravi

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2011/12/In-Memoriam-Christopher-Hitchens-19492011

In Memoriam: Christopher Hitchens, 1949–2011
by Juli Weiner 11:45 PM, DECEMBER 15 2011
BY GASPER TRINGALE

Christopher Hitchens—the incomparable critic, masterful rhetorician, fiery wit, and fearless bon vivant—died today at the age of 62. Hitchens was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in the spring of 2010, just after the publication of his memoir, Hitch-22, and began chemotherapy soon after. His matchless prose has appeared in Vanity Fair since 1992, when he was named contributing editor.

"Cancer victimhood contains a permanent temptation to be self-centered and even solipsistic," Hitchens wrote nearly a year ago in Vanity Fair, but his own final labors were anything but: in the last 12 months, he produced for this magazine a piece on U.S.-Pakistani relations in the wake of Osama bin Laden's death, a portrait of Joan Didion, an essay on the Private Eye retrospective at the Victoria and Albert Museum, a prediction about the future of democracy in Egypt, a meditation on the legacy of progressivism in Wisconsin, and a series of frank, graceful, and exquisitely written essays in which he chronicled the physical and spiritual effects of his disease. At the end, Hitchens was more engaged, relentless, hilarious, observant, and intelligent than just about everyone else—just as he had been for the last four decades.

"My chief consolation in this year of living dyingly has been the presence of friends," he wrote in the June 2011 issue. He died in their presence, too, at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. May his 62 years of living, well, so livingly console the many of us who will miss him dearly.