Spike Lee DVDs

Started by budgie, April 12, 2003, 06:28:30 AM

budgie

Saw Clockers on tv last night. Fantastic. The more Lee I see the more I like. It doesn't seem like he does commentaries - is that right? - but what do the 'production notes' on the DVDs of his movies consist of?

MacGuffin

Quote from: budgieIt doesn't seem like he does commentaries - is that right?

Don't know about the Region 2 DVDs, but he does one for "School Daze," "Bamboozled" and "Get On The Bus." Also, the Criterion "Do The Right Thing" has a commentary track, as does the Criterion laserdisc of "She's Gotta Have It." The DVD for "25th Hour" will include one too.

The prod. notes are mainly PR fluff about the progression of how the project evolved.

My next pick for you, budgie, if you haven't seen it already, is "He Got Game."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Victor

i love spike, ive been trying to watch more of his stuff lately, i just got Jungle Fever from Netflix. DTRT is my favorite for sure, i just showed it in my school, a mixed meeting with the film club and Black Student Union. It went pretty well, though the discussion wasnt nearly as volatile as it shouldve been. Everyone's too nice these days, I was the only one who wasnt completely against what happened in the end.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Ghostboy

McGuffin, are you a fellow He Got Game fan? No one else seems to like that one. It's one of my favorites of his...it really hits me hard, emotionally that is.

I haven't heard his other commentaries, but the Do The Right Thing one is great, and the documentary on that Criterion disc is really good as well. And I have a few words to say to people who think the ending is stupid...I'd have made that discussion heated!

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyMcGuffin, are you a fellow He Got Game fan? No one else seems to like that one. It's one of my favorites of his...it really hits me hard, emotionally that is.

I am a fan of "Game". It's not just about basketball (although icing on the cake if you are), but a relationship between a father and son, with the father seeking redemption. I think Lee found the right balance of song and score by using Public Enemy and Aaron Copland.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

xerxes

i also liked 'game'... but one of my favorites has to be 'get on the bus'

Victor

Quote from: GhostboyI have a few words to say to people who think the ending is stupid...I'd have made that discussion heated!

*SPOILERS

it wasnt really that they thought it was stupid, more that they were too suburbanized to see anything positive about it. i agree with them that it was a horrible thing, that sal didnt deserve it, but what i was saying is that youve gotta take a stand somehow. the cops kill radio raheem, you cant just protest quietly, you gots to burn the motherfucker down. but for the most part it only made things worse between races. i mean, look at vito. hes friends with mookie, even better so than with his brother. they come this close to understanding each other, and then it all gets smashed to hell. it almost makes pino right.

i thought the ending was perfect, it left you uneasy, confused, like its supposed to.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Ernie

I love me some Spike Lee.

Do the Right Thing, Jungle Fever, He Got Game, 25th Hour, Clockers...all fucking classics. I didn't know Game didn't get that much respect...what's up with that? I thought it was number one at the box office at one point. When Quentin Tarantino was pissed at Spike and said, "nobody sees Spike's movies anymore"...wasn't it #1 at the box office when he said that? And really though, what's not to like about it? It's just a very likable film...with good intentions...and it's about the best sport in the world...I guess I don't get it. I'm definitely a fellow fan for what that's worth.  :?

Anyway, Mo Better Blues is the only mediocre film I've seen by him...he's a god of filmmaking...always love to watch a Spike Lee film.

Cecil

Quote from: ebeaman69When Quentin Tarantino was pissed at Spike and said, "nobody sees Spike's movies anymore"...wasn't it #1 at the box office when he said that?

yes

Ravi

Quote from: ebeaman69
Anyway, Mo Better Blues is the only mediocre film I've seen by him...he's a god of filmmaking...always love to watch a Spike Lee film.

I didn't like Bamboozled.  I still need to see Girl 6, Jungle Fever, School Daze, Summer of Sam, and 25th Hour, out of Spike Lee's work.

Rudie Obias

i love spike lee.  DO THE RIGHT THING, BAMBOOZLED and (i'm surprised no one mentioned this one yet) MALCOLM X are my three favorite spike lee films.  they are the most thought provoking in my opinion.  i was watching the NAACP image awards and edward norton presented an honorary award to spike lee and i was just amazed by lee's body of work.  he has made some like 17 films in 16 years.  WOW!  how many filmmakers out there today can do that?  especially films of such great quality and substance.  big ups to spike lee!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaiSpike has also done "4 little girls", anyone who've seen it?
yep, sad. great history lesson and powerful reminder of the climate round that time.
under the paving stones.

budgie

Good news on the commentaries, bad news cos it means more spending. Thanks for the recommendations too. I've only seen a handful so far.

Starting Friday there's a season in London, so I may see a couple on the big screen: maybe He Got Game since everyone's in favour. Lee is doing a talk at the premiere of 25th Hour. Killing myself now that I didn't book it cos it's returns only, goddamit.  :(

SHAFTR

I am just getting into Spike Lee.  I saw 25th Hour for the first time last week.  I also am doing a paper on Do the Right Thing, so I have the Criterion Disc.  I have seen Malcom X and He Got Game, enjoyed them both.

Lee is great at creating films where there isn't a protagonist you can completely agree with all of their actions.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"