so far this year VOLUME 9

Started by picolas, July 01, 2011, 11:02:09 PM

picolas

1. Tree of Life

2. Submarine

he's done it again.

3. Midnight in Paris

so good to see wilson back in the swing of things. best adrien brody performance in a while.

4. Hanna

2/3rds great

5. Kaboom

i enjoyed it even though it didn't amount to a whole lot, seemingly.. might give it a second chance later.

NOT QUITE:

1. Incendies

lacked the poetry of Polytechnique, didn't quite justify the long takes, needed another cut/draft

2. Source Code

across the board shitty performances, writing and execution distract from a premise/story so good, it still made everything kind of entertaining. i've nearly lost hope in gyllenhaal.

3. Limitless

de niro needs to stop trying so hard to get a job at dreamworks.
again, not much outside of a cool idea, but does the job. abbie cornish's genius solution to throwing off a stalker will make you smile and wonder why you've never seen such a tactic used in the movies until now.

NEED TO SEE (in order of need/expectations):

bridesmaids
beginners
uncle boonmee
cave of forgotten dreams
attack the block
meek's cutoff
super 8
x-men
win win

Stefen

Reserved! Ill update it throughout the year.

1. Tree of Life. 10.0.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

New Feeling

this is going to be the worst year in the history of cinema

Stefen

Quote from: New Feeling on July 02, 2011, 04:45:29 PM
this is going to be the worst year in the history of cinema

There's still a lot of the year to go. The first half has been littered with played out fanboy comic book movies and crappy comedies. Second half still has tons of neat stuff to look forward to. http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=11393.0
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

JG

GREAT
Boonmee
The Future
Margaret
Terri
Certified Copy
Moneyball

VERY GOOD
Drive
The Interrupters
Midnight in Paris

GOOD
Tree of Life (so far)
Tabloid

DID NOT SEE
Hanna
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

72teeth

Fuuuuck, i totally had the chance to see Boonmee for free and i didnt and now i think its the biggest mistake ive ever made :c
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Ghostboy

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Stefen

I haven't watched anything this year. Anyone else have a lot of catching up to do?

mogwai

Sleepless

Quote from: S.R. on December 09, 2011, 08:55:14 PM
I haven't watched anything this year. Anyone else have a lot of catching up to do?

Seen virtually nothing. I think I've seen maybe 4 proper releases in the cinema and have half-assed catch up on DVD. Still hoping to see Hugo and Tintin in 3D before they disappear, but it's likely to be a few months before I actually catch on most of what I want to see. Looking forward to be reminded of some missed gems when everyone else posts their best lists.

And guess what my new year's resolution is?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

samsong

1. certified copy
2. the tree of life
3. tinker tailor soldier spy
4. margaret
5. cave of forgotten dreams/into the abyss
6. uncle boonmee who can recall his past lives
7. le havre
8. drive
9. the adventures of tintin
10. 13 assassins

polkablues

The 10 Middlest Movies of 2011

Limitless
The Adjustment Bureau
Gnomeo & Juliet
Unknown
Dream House
The Conspirator
Hall Pass
Scream 4
Thor
No Strings Attached/Friends With Benefits (tie)
My house, my rules, my coffee