The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

Kal

Quote from: polkablues on March 14, 2016, 03:42:45 AM
I haven't watched it yet, but I assume from the previews from last week you're talking about Alicia Witt.

She's always great. She banged Tim Riggins (who didn't!) and has had many memorable roles. She also sings. I saw her perform once in Austin a long time ago.

Really good episode. This Negan shit is kind of annoying though. I don't want the reveal to be a short thing towards the end and then wait until October to see what the hell will happen after...

polkablues

*long sigh*

SPOILERS

Turning what could and should have been a powerful dramatic moment of watching a character we care about senselessly snuffed out in front of their loved ones and instead making it a hamfisted cliffhanger was probably the dumbest thing this show has ever done. And as much as I enjoy the show, they've done some dumb shit over the years.

The episode did such a good job of building the tension of the impossible situation the characters found themselves in, and it could have all culminated in this huge emotional climax, but instead they turned it into a puff of dust, an emotionally meaningless event. After all that buildup, "someone" got killed. Neat. Wake me up in six or eight months or whatever and I can try to put myself back in the headspace to give a shit when we find out who.

Bad storytelling. Fucking amateur hour.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

SPOILERS

I don't watch the show but I've read about how stupid that cliffhanger is. But I have a question. Why does that dude need to kill somebody?
Ascension.

polkablues

To be fair, Rick's group has killed like 30 of their people already.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILS

All I've been hearing about for like 8 months is Negan this, Negan that. Just wait till you see Negan, etc. Then, to my delight, Negan (and Jeffrey Dean Morgan) absolutely delivered. He's a little skinny, but otherwise, yes, fantastic. Chilling. Terrifying. I hadn't felt this kind of dread from the show since Terminus. The Governor in comparison was child's play. The performances here were stunning across the board. Rick's existential panic was mindblowing. It was one of those moments where a different, much better, even masterful show emerged exactly when it was needed.

To throw all of that away in the last few seconds is one of the saddest and most baffling creative choices I've ever encountered.

Fernando

minor spoils.

completely agree, they fucked up big time not showing who bit the dust.

imagine if GoT didn't show who died at the red wedding, just a little hint that something horrible was going to happen and then wait months to find out, pretty stupid decision. and like GoT, if anyone wants to find out who dies you just read the comic or just a quick google search (which I did). we'll see if they stay true to the comic.

Kal

You guys forget this is a business and that these days it's all about buzz and online chatter to keep the show going.

If they had revealed who dies, it would have been sad and there would be some coverage around that, but now they have dozens of sites and millions of people guessing online, discussing it, trying to find out clues, all that bullshit that they love because it builds anticipation for what comes next. They did it with Glenn's storyline, which they stretched for longer than they should have, but people didn't care because eventually the show delivered what they were looking for.

I agree it was an awesome episode and they fucked it up at the end, but the Interwebs are going crazy and that is exactly what they want even more than to tell a satisfying story and give people what they want.

Jeremy Blackman

I mostly disagree. Yes, there's a lot of buzz right now, but there's not an episode airing next week that can capitalize on it. By the time next season premiers, people are mostly going to remember how dumb the cliffhanger was, and maybe how widely the show was ridiculed the following day.

In fact, I feel like TWD has never been more on the precipice. The last few seasons they have flirted with greatness and reached some of their lowest lows, sometimes in the same episode.

Quote from: Kal on April 06, 2016, 11:35:35 PMThey did it with Glenn's storyline, which they stretched for longer than they should have, but people didn't care because eventually the show delivered what they were looking for.

Except people did care, and at the end of the season they didn't deliver. There was a massive backlash to the Glenn fiasco, and the show had to work to win people back and earn their trust. Now they'll have to do that all over again. But certainly, if they want to turn more fans into hate-watchers, this could be effective.

Separately, you might be right that, no matter what it does, the show will always deliver what some people need. But I guess I'd like to know what that is.

Tictacbk

I'm gonna go ahead and also disagree. Buzz and online chatter is great and all, but when it's almost entirely "Man did The Walking Dead completely fuck that finale up!" it doesn't do them any favors. As someone who gave up on TWD, came back, then gave up again, all this press has just reinforced my decision to stay away from it.  And I was kinda almost close to giving it a third chance, with everyone saying it was starting to get good. Glad I didn't. Yup, just came in here to gloat.

Jeremy Blackman

This is a very silly level of nerdery, but it does seem correct...

Jeremy Blackman

Long trailer full of semi-spoilers.

MAJOR SPOILER: Negan actually slipped and hit himself in the leg. He laughed it off and decided to kill no one.

©brad

Hah.

I don't watch this show but all these "fuck it we're done with this" articles are pretty amazing. This one from The Verge for example.

polkablues

Oh, for fuck's sake. All the oysters in the sea can't produce enough pearls for that Verge article's clutching needs. The world is a worse place for it having been written.

The episode was fine. It was not fundamentally different from what The Walking Dead has been previously, and it does not fundamentally change what it will be in the future. The cliffhanger itself was still a terrible idea, but how they resolved it is not a problem in and of itself.