Blind Buying Truffaut...

Started by SoNowThen, June 16, 2003, 01:04:17 PM

SoNowThen

should I get Farenheit 451? I love the Antoine Doinel movies, as well as Day For Night, but don't like Shoot The Piano Player or Jules And Jim very much. Which category does this lean toward?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenI love the Antoine Doinel movies, as well as Day For Night, but don't like Shoot The Piano Player or Jules And Jim very much.

*gasp!*

Allow me to recover from my shock (Jules and Jim is probably my favorite Truffaut, followed closely by Two English Girls).

Okay... well, I bought Fahrenheit 451 blind 'cos it was so cheap and it was Truffaut. And it has Julie Christie. Those are some damn compelling reasons; I've blind bought for much less.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Yes, Julie is a true amazement. Wow.

I'm also curious to see this because Roeg is the DP.

So did you watch it yet?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Unfortunately, I haven't.  :(  I have SO many backlogged. Probably within the next 1-2 months.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Duck Sauce

ebeaman blind buys these things so you might ask him how it goes, but since they are mostly criterion, I would rent them through Netflix or something before to save money

SoNowThen

What is this netflix I've been hearing about?

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenWhat is this netflix I've been hearing about?

Dunno if it's available in Canada, but go to

www.netflix.com

and see.  It's a flat-fee unlimited DVD rent-by-mail service. If you have the time and patience, it's probably worth the cash. I did it for a while but grew tired of the long waiting lists for the titles I wanted. You're better off at the library, probably.

SoNowThen

Yeah, they're pretty much getting in everything Criterion anyway. Man, I love the Edmonton Public Library. Rock on!!

But this dvd is only $13 anyway. I might as well just buy it.

Godardian, do you have the Jules And Jim dvd? Is the quality okay?

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenYeah, they're pretty much getting in everything Criterion anyway. Man, I love the Edmonton Public Library. Rock on!!

But this dvd is only $13 anyway. I might as well just buy it.

Godardian, do you have the Jules And Jim dvd? Is the quality okay?

I do. It's not Criterion-level, but I'd say it's more than decent. It's a Fox Lorber DVD release. They did a lot of the Truffauts.

SoNowThen

Yes, I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Fox Lorber dvd of Woman Is A Woman. Too bad all their Godard dvds are such shitty quality.

Hmm, maybe I'll give J&J another try if I can find it cheap. I still wanna talk to someone who's seen Farenheit...

Ernie

Yes, I blind bought Jules and Jim just because of the cover in a very magical time in my life around the time I discovered PTA. It was the first foreign film I ever saw and it remains one the best, it lead to my love of french new wave.

As for Fahrenheit 451 though, I haven't seen it. That's one of Truffaut's that I would rent before buying. I'd bet it's probably not as good as 400 Blows, J and J, Shoot the Piano Player, or Day for Night...I've heard it's not even close.

The best thing you could do is get netflix...it's a dream.

ono

Jules and Jim has been compared to Amelie as a sort of precursor (well, not really precursor but more like forerunner,  or like, Amelie was made in the same vein).  How accurate is this?  Just curious.

modage

i didnt think so.  this movie may have been hugely influential in cinema history as far as storytelling and inventing certain techniques like freeze framing and such.  but i could not get into it, the main reason being i just did not like the story.  Catherine is a huge bitch!  and i saw no reason for these guys to keep going back to her.  the story didnt move me, i had no connection to the characters and found the whole thing irritating to watch.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

there's a clip from jules et jim in amelie, so obviously it was an influence...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pubrick

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaHow accurate is this?
not very.

they're both in french, and the title is the character's name.. that's all.
under the paving stones.