Critics that turned into Directors..?

Started by NEON MERCURY, January 23, 2004, 04:54:46 PM

NEON MERCURY

....if i remeber correctly......wasn't truffaut ...and godard former film critics who went on to directing films.....?

are ther any more that i'm forgetting that are noteworthy??

are there any directors turned critics....???

when was the last time you had a milkshake.....??

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

MacGuffin

Quote from: NEON MERCURYare ther any more that i'm forgetting that are noteworthy??

Paul Schrader
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

ummmm i may be wrong but i wanna say peter bogdanavich?  is that correct?

Weak2ndAct

Rod Lurie  :?

Now only if someone gave Earl Dittman a shot...

socketlevel

Quote from: NEON MERCURY....if i remeber correctly......wasn't truffaut ...and godard former film critics who went on to directing films.....?

are ther any more that i'm forgetting that are noteworthy??

are there any directors turned critics....???

when was the last time you had a milkshake.....??

yeah they were critics in a mag called "Cashier du Cinema" in France.  They were more film theorists then critics.  critics just say if a movie is good or bad but they would analyze the social and political implications.

supposedly people would suggest that they make films.  There was a negative reaction to their critiques.  The readers took the stance that if they (godard and co.) believed that cinema could be more, they should do it themselves.  so they did, they made films that attacked perceptions of reality.

i'm doing the film student geek shit on you right now with the bazin refference but it all comes back to that (yo yo pro t-bono, do i have any dignity?  it just doesn't add up  :wink: )

John Waters was a critic, he was the first critic to make a call on "nightmare on elm street."  he was a critic at the same time he made films.

i haven't had a milkshake in a long time.  i could go for a choc one right about now.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

soixante

Richard Schickel and Todd McCarthy have directed documentaries.  Does that count?

Jay Cocks, formerly of Time, and Paul Zimmerman, formerly of Newsweek, have written movies for Martin Scorsese.  Does writing but not directing count?  If so, add Roger Ebert.

Rex Reed appeared in Myra Breckinridge, which gave him an appreciation for the actor's process.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: soixanteDoes writing but not directing count?  If so, add Roger Ebert.

What movie did he write?

three  for Russel Meyer called Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Up! and Bneath the Valley of the Dolls...
speaking of that,  when is Faster Pussycat Kill !Kill! going to be released on DVD?
context, context, context.

Sleuth

Quote from: Chest Rockwell
Quote from: soixanteDoes writing but not directing count?  If so, add Roger Ebert.

What movie did he write?

It's that movie on IMDb
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

I believe Tavernier did a bit of criticism before he started directing...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.