Kevin Smith and PT Anderson, some of you people are nuts.

Started by Steve McQueen's ghost, September 30, 2003, 12:59:46 AM

Steve McQueen's ghost

I think Smith is a great writer. I love his films. Clerks was the work of true genius. I'm still trying to figure out all this PT Anderson worship that goes on around here. I watched Magnolia, it was a visually stylish flick, but I couldn't get into it. I'll bet that the same people here that think KS movies have no depth are the same ones who think Fight Club was about fighting. There was a WHOLE lot more going on in that movie than fighting and there are many levels in KS movies. He actually says alot in between the dick and fart jokes. He can do more with some black and white film and no-name actors with a $20,000 budget than Steven Spielberg can with $100,000,000.  Ooooh! Look! A T-Rex!!!!  A boat full of slaves! A goofey Alien!!!  I'm looking forward to Jason Lee playing Fletch. That guy is a good actor.  Anyway, my point is KS has alot of talent. His films are very entertaining.

Cecil

i always liked clerks. i find his visual style (or lack of) and writing perfect for that film. but to me it seems like after clerks he shouldve evolved as a filmmaker and i dont think he has. jersey girl seems to be a step in a "mature" sort of direction, which isnt necessarily what i mean, but anyhow

ElPandaRoyal

Well....... I love Magnolia as well as every PT Anderson film. And I also love Chasing Amy and think Dogma and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back are really funny movies (never got to see Clerks or Mallrats). I also love Fight Club and believe me, I know it's not about fighting. I also like Spielberg... And Jason Lee is hilarious..... Anyway, my point is just that it's perfectly possible for one person to like all these movies. So KS and PTA had issues with each other. I don't really give a shit about that, as far as they keep doing well what they do best.
Si

Lucinda Bryte

Alethia

i love all of PTA's films.  As for Kevin Smith, I love Clerks and Chasing Amy, I think they are just great.  I hate Mallrats.  I think Dogma is very smart and funny (a tad long however), and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back had some funny parts, but mostly I thought it was boring.  I am eagerly awaiting Jersey Girl.  I think he is a great writer.  I think Spielberg is great as well, and vastly underrated by people like you.  I absolutely HATED fight club, and what everybody else sees in it, I have tried to see by forcing myself through repeated viewings, but I always come out hating it even more.  Oh well.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostI think Smith is a great writer. I love his films. Clerks was the work of true genius. I'm still trying to figure out all this PT Anderson worship that goes on around here. I watched Magnolia, it was a visually stylish flick, but I couldn't get into it. I'll bet that the same people here that think KS movies have no depth are the same ones who think Fight Club was about fighting. There was a WHOLE lot more going on in that movie than fighting and there are many levels in KS movies. He actually says alot in between the dick and fart jokes. He can do more with some black and white film and no-name actors with a $20,000 budget than Steven Spielberg can with $100,000,000.  Ooooh! Look! A T-Rex!!!!  A boat full of slaves! A goofey Alien!!!  I'm looking forward to Jason Lee playing Fletch. That guy is a good actor.  Anyway, my point is KS has alot of talent. His films are very entertaining.

KS a great writer -- yes. Pretty good eye for casting -- yes. Director/visual stylist -- not at all. Too bad it's a visual medium.

But you're right, he certainly can do more with his tiny-dick budgets than 'Berg can, but I think nearly every director working today can do that.

But yeah, he's basically alright. The reason why I was a little choked at him was when he started ranting about Magnolia. Sad.

Watch more PTA. Your eyes and heart will thank you.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Derek

Oh, come on. Give Spielberg a break. He is constantly making challenging, different movies each time out right now. And they're GREAT. He is in his prime.

P.S. Kevin Smith is essentially a guy who makes home movies for him his friends.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

SoNowThen

It's just one man's opinion. Maybe one day his movies will click for me. They haven't yet, and I keep giving chances.

The "home movie" aspect is probably why I like KS more than 'berg...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ShanghaiOrange

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostI think Smith is a great writer. I love his films. Clerks was the work of true genius. I'm still trying to figure out all this PT Anderson worship that goes on around here. I watched Magnolia, it was a visually stylish flick, but I couldn't get into it. I'll bet that the same people here that think KS movies have no depth are the same ones who think Fight Club was about fighting. There was a WHOLE lot more going on in that movie than fighting and there are many levels in KS movies. He actually says alot in between the dick and fart jokes. He can do more with some black and white film and no-name actors with a $20,000 budget than Steven Spielberg can with $100,000,000.  Ooooh! Look! A T-Rex!!!!  A boat full of slaves! A goofey Alien!!!  I'm looking forward to Jason Lee playing Fletch. That guy is a good actor.  Anyway, my point is KS has alot of talent. His films are very entertaining.

I think someone needs a HUG!
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Spike

PTA is among my three favourite directors, so I haven't to tell you that I LOVE each of his films. From KS I just have seen "Dogma" and "Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back". "Dogma" was really great and very funny. "Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back" wasn't that good, but still funny and entertaining. Yesterday I ordered "Clerks". We'll see!

P.S.: What did KS say about "Magnolia"?
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

©brad

ill shoot the next mother fucker who posts in this thread.

:2gunfire:

Gold Trumpet

The original post is simple praise and disagreeance. Let me run the gamut on everything he said.

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostI think Smith is a great writer.

Not I.

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostClerks was the work of true genius.

Clerks was cute.

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostI'm still trying to figure out all this PT Anderson worship that goes on around here. I watched Magnolia, it was a visually stylish flick, but I couldn't get into it.

I loved Magnolia. Wanna talk about it?

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostI'll bet that the same people here that think KS movies have no depth are the same ones who think Fight Club was about fighting. There was a WHOLE lot more going on in that movie than fighting and there are many levels in KS movies. He actually says alot in between the dick and fart jokes.

2 parter. I know Fight Club (as does everyone else here) is about more than fighting. I still think it was a failure for other reasons. Wanna talk about it?/I saw important things in Chasing Amy, nothing else. Everything else at higher meaning was just pretension to me. Again, wanna talk about that?

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostHe can do more with some black and white film and no-name actors with a $20,000 budget than Steven Spielberg can with $100,000,000.  Ooooh! Look! A T-Rex!!!!  A boat full of slaves! A goofey Alien!!!

With the last part, I think Kevin Smith is a better pick for parody than Speilberg. The first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan alone trump Smith's entire body of work imo. Tell me why I am wrong.

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostI'm looking forward to Jason Lee playing Fletch. That guy is a good actor.  Anyway, my point is KS has alot of talent. His films are very entertaining.

Lee is decent. Smith has a little talent as a writer, I'll give him that. And some of his films are entertaining.

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

Banky

yeah i feel odd sometimes because i think all KS movies are great(minus one) and fuck everyone who hates him becaus he has an opinion.

by the way, Lee is not playing Fetch.  Mirimax refused to cast him in the lead and now Smith is still looking but probably has already made up his mind.

modage

i liked kevin smith when i was in high school.  the humor and depth of his scripts are tailored to someone of that age.  unfortunately i grew up and he didnt.  by the time jay and silent turd came out i had completely lost interest.  i thought it was painfully unfunny, as well as stupid.  now that i've finished college i can hardly remember what i liked about him in the first place.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.