Original Star Wars Trilogy to be released on DVD

Started by Raikus, February 07, 2003, 03:29:25 PM

polkablues

The original Star Wars had a certain lo-fi magic to it.  It certainly feels like a product of its time, but it has so much charisma and so many iconic moments that it will always be watchable.  Plus, as a beat by beat demonstration of the Hero's Journey, humanity is evolutionarily hard-wired to respond to it.  Empire takes all the elements that made the first one fun and gives it to grown-ups to write and direct, which resulted in a more epic, more complex, more dramatically satisfying film.  Everything since then has been pure cancer.

Stefen, I hate to contradict you, but Episode 3 is the worst thing ever.  I'd rather my apartment shared a communal shower with a Turkish prison than have to sit through that godawful mess again.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

I dunno if you can call those special effects bad or fake.  it didn't feel lo-fi to me, the space ships didn't feel like toys and the puppets put on a good show.  if anything, the new ones looked fake 'cause the leathery skin or fur still looked like cartoon.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

I unsubscribed from the Star Wars e-mail list a while back and haven't heard from them in a long time, but they must have kept me somewhere as I got an e-mail about the Blu-Ray announcement.  :ponder:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

George Lucas addressing Congress in 1988, regarding altering films:

"American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.
There is nothing to stop American films, records, books, and paintings from being sold to a foreign entity or egotistical gangsters and having them change our cultural heritage to suit their personal taste.
I accuse the companies and groups, who say that American law is sufficient, of misleading the Congress and the People for their own economic self-interest.
I accuse the corporations, who oppose the moral rights of the artist, of being dishonest and insensitive to American cultural heritage and of being interested only in their quarterly bottom line, and not in the long-term interest of the Nation.

The public's interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests. And the proof of that is that even a copyright law only permits the creators and their estate a limited amount of time to enjoy the economic fruits of that work.

There are those who say American law is sufficient. That's an outrage! It's not sufficient! If it were sufficient, why would I be here? Why would John Huston have been so studiously ignored when he protested the colorization of "The Maltese Falcon?" Why are films cut up and butchered?

I hope you have the courage to lead America in acknowledging the importance of American art to the human race, and accord the proper protection for the creators of that art–as it is accorded them in much of the rest of the world communities."
My house, my rules, my coffee

picolas

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Gold digger for sure. He can tell, too. LOOK AT HIS FACE!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

mogwai

Sleepless

All because he retained merchandise rights. Clever fuck.

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

tpfkabi

Quote from: picolas on September 03, 2011, 04:31:13 PM
UGHH. this is the only explanation i'm comfortable with: http://youtu.be/_BMgegut3UM

:yabbse-grin:

All I really want to see are some of these 'new' Deleted Scenes. Hopefully they will make their way to YouTube quickly.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.