Hustlers

Started by wilberfan, September 18, 2019, 07:23:00 PM

wilberfan

Hustlers follows a crew of savvy former strip club employees who band together to turn the tables on their Wall Street clients.  The film was inspired by the article published by New York Magazine entitled "The Hustlers at Scores" written by Jessica Pressler.

QuoteComparisons of Lorene Scafaria's Hustlers to the fact-based crime sagas by Martin Scorsese are...let's be nice and say "unfounded."  --Edwin Arnaudin 

I went to see this today, mostly based on the hype name-dropping of Scorsese and for-the-love-of-God Paul Thomas Anderson.   (Tim Cogshell--one of the critics on a local NPR film review show--actually said he liked it better than Goodfellas.  A statement that literally made the host and co-critic audibly gasp.)

I'm a chump for swallowing the hype as much as I do.  God damn it.

While J-Lo certainly has charisma to spare, I thought Constance Wu the exact opposite--and none of the characters particularly compelling nor sympathetic.   The audience I saw it with particularly got a kick out of Cardi-B's cameo--but I find her shtick even more annoying than that of Tiffany Haddish.

WorldForgot

Almost everyone I know that's seen this loved it.

Keeping my expectations low-ish. I hope it'll hit me somewhere around Eighth Grade-lvl, which is that it'll be Good for sleeper-reasons pertinent to their household's humor, and the kind of film you can keep in your back pocket for a rainy day. Lorene's previous films haven't been bad, but they haven't stuck the Eighth Grade landing of balancing the comedy with true-blue emotion. I hope this iz that one .

polkablues

This is definitely one of those movies I'll watch in like three years and think, "That was really good, why didn't I watch that earlier?"
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

why wait three years when you can wait six

noyeah i thought about seeing this and i mean really the worst this can be isn't terrible