Tina Fey -- I love you

Started by SoNowThen, June 10, 2003, 10:25:33 AM

SoNowThen

I couldn't agree more. The two popular skits (Mary Catherine and the Cheerleaders one) I hated. But the other stuff I found amazing. Especially the Jeopardy stuff, and anything Norm did.

Oh, and Neil Diamond Storytellers is like my fav skit ever. That, Bill Brasky, and the Alec Baldwin Pyramid Of Pain one.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

Quote from: SoNowThenYeah, I too love that era of SNL. But I hafta laugh when anyone tries to rag on the show, 'cause it's always the same old thing: "that show is so lame now, it used to be brilliant when _____ (insert Eddie Murphy era or Mike Myers era, or whatever's in vogue that week)". People have to face up to the fact that, overall, SNL is funny most of the time. Yes, they have skits that suck, yes sometimes a new cast takes a while to catch on, but overall you're gonna laugh more per viewing than almost any other comedy show on tv.

Also, you will get to see Tina. Until she makes a hit movie and moves on to bigger, shittier things...

I'm not gonna wax nostalgic for any particular era, but I don't laugh most of the time during current episodes, which is why I don't watch many of them anymore.  It's just not that funny, especially when they repeatedly trot out Donatella Versace and Drunk Girl.  Not that they didn't repeat dumb characters in the past, but I find these two particularly unfunny.  I prefer Mad TV.  The new cast does have some talented people, but the writing just isn't great and there aren't any IMO really stand out cast members.  Weekend Update is not bad, though it is nothing compared to when Norm MacDonald did it.  Also, why did Weekend Update turn into a showcase for random characters like Drunk Girl?  At least in previous years they pretended it was a news show with characters like Jacob Silj giving "editorials" that go wrong.

For one, I hated the Colonel Angus sketch.  I could have come up with that one in 10th grade!

Is Seth Myers related to Josh Myers on Mad TV?  They kind of look alike.

godardian

I thought the cheerleaders were hilarious. The perpetual mortification of Cheri Oteri's voice and gestures made me laugh. I liked Ferrell, Oteri, Shannon, and Ana Gasteyer a lot. Gasteyer's Celine Dion and Oteri's Mariah Carey were very funny parodies, I thought.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

I think Gasteyer was great. Oteri had her moments, and of course, Ferrell was a force. I prefer Shannon when she just plays a supporting character in skits, like a regular person.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Chris Kattan is one who doesn't make me laugh much.

Tracy Morgan can be really funny.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SoNowThen

Tracy Morgan highlights: The Other Black Guy, and his classic Reggie White "I hate midgets".

Hehehehe.

I like Kattan as a supporter, not so much the Mango stuff. But I think Mr Peepers is fucking hilarious.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i loved the jepardy skits

did somone say they didnt like the cornal angus skit ?

Quote from: SoNowThenTracy Morgan highlights: The Other Black Guy, and his classic Reggie White "I hate midgets".

Hehehehe.

I like Kattan as a supporter, not so much the Mango stuff. But I think Mr Peepers is fucking hilarious.

i fucking love tracy morgan, he just does not give a fuck what other people are doing on the show

and it worked so well, because he was such a weirdo

he would take skits that would of been otherwise pretenouse and just make them fucking hillariouce

like that britney spears alien skit

Ravi

I still like the commercials they do.  Anyone remember clownpenis.fart?

Quote from: RaviI still like the commercials they do.  Anyone remember clownpenis.fart?

and might i say i love your choice of pic, it makes me feel all nice inside

i dunno why but i keep thinking " gee if i had a old european grand dad this is what i would want him to be like"

damn im in need of a mentor

i just hope the guy in your pic is not a nazi or something, dont need that kinda mentor

filmcritic

I may be alone in saying this, but "Saturday Night Live" is not what it used to be. Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan, Chris Kattan and many others are all not funny in the slightest. Maybe comedy has changed over the years. But the writers are writing awful material for their actors and it makes the show look completly ridiculous. Now, I'm not at all a big TV watcher, but every so often I may turn it on and "Saturday Night Live" is a mess as of today.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

SoNowThen

Boo. Hiss.

Tina spurns you.

Quote from: SoNowThenBoo. Hiss.

Tina spurns you.

I curse His colon !!!! now that i have done that what else should i do :: calls up chloe sevigny::

godardian

Ravi's avatar is the titular figure from Powell and Pressburger's The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, which makes it fucking cool.

RegularKarate

Sweet bloody fuck this thread grew fast.

quickly:

-Tina Fey = hot: great writer, WU is the best part of the show, really.  Colonel Angus sketch was damn funny

-Janeane Garofalo - what is this blasphemy that I am reading here (though it's not really surprising, considering the source, I'm not starting a fight here Santa, you just seem to hate the best sometimes).  I have for a long time, wished that one day I would marry Miss Garofalo.  Admittedly though, SNL was far from her thing.  Whenever I see her in Clay Pidgeons or Minus Man, I just want to jump through the screen.

QuoteIt's just not that funny, especially when they repeatedly trot out Donatella Versace

Donatella Versace skits are skits that seem to be the most consistantly funny skits.  Just bizaar and funny.

QuoteI prefer Mad TV.

This might explain your other comments.  IMO, Mad TV has never really been funny.  I don't understand how it's still on.

QuoteAlso, why did Weekend Update turn into a showcase for random characters like Drunk Girl? At least in previous years they pretended it was a news show with characters like Jacob Silj giving "editorials" that go wrong.

Yeah, they never used to pull out characters like Opera Man or the "gimme some candy guy"

-I used to find Norm funny... really, but he had some serious timing issues.

-why does everyone complain about Fallon breaking character?  It's SNL... what the fuck?

-Tracy Morgan is sorely misunderstood by many... that guy is funny as shit.