Tina Fey -- I love you

Started by SoNowThen, June 10, 2003, 10:25:33 AM

Sleuth

I agree with some of what you people say, but disagree with just as much and it confuses me

I think Norm is one of the greatest cast members ever
I hate Tracy Morgan
Jimmy Fallon is slightly above mediocre
I hate Adam Sandler
Tina Fey is all right, Adam McKay was better
I think Maya Rudolph is going to be huge, she should be (not Versace though)
MadTV is unbelievably bad
I like to hug dogs

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

please explain how in anyway janine is funy, and avoid cliches about how skinny people run the media

your wrong by the way , but still i want to hear this

RegularKarate

Well, it's hard to explain to someone why they think something or someone is funny when the opinion isn't shared.

I just like her though.  I'm usually impressed by most of her stand up comedy.  I like to hear her talk about shit (and not just the political shit, just shit in general) she has a sarcastic attitude that I often share.  

I think she's beautiful... one thing I've always held against her is her self depreciation of how she looks because I think she's one of the most attractive women in show business.

I like her openness (which I won't talk about because you seem to think it's a cliche to mention that sort of thing).

I think she's a decent actress.  I usually enjoy seeing her on screen.

and personally, I thought the Ben Stiller show was fucking hilarious sometimes.

Sleuth

Quote from: RegularKarate-I used to find Norm funny... really, but he had some serious timing issues.

Maybe I didn't notice Norm's bad timing because his WU successor was Colin ::deep breath:: Q-q-q

...qui

::breathe:: Colin Quinn

hey come on folks, he had awful timing, folks, hey flmslknbaesr;on43'5;
I like to hug dogs

godardian

Quote from: RegularKarate

-Janeane Garofalo - what is this blasphemy that I am reading here (though it's not really surprising, considering the source, I'm not starting a fight here Santa, you just seem to hate the best sometimes).  I have for a long time, wished that one day I would marry Miss Garofalo.  Admittedly though, SNL was far from her thing.  Whenever I see her in Clay Pidgeons or Minus Man, I just want to jump through the screen.

QuoteI prefer Mad TV.

This might explain your other comments.  IMO, Mad TV has never really been funny.  I don't understand how it's still on.

I don't really like MadTV, either.

I think Garofalo is VERY funny. I think she makes some really good points, but I just love her sardonic, world-weary, snippy style. She woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, the world's fucked-up, and she's had it with the bullshit!! I almost don't even care about what she's saying; as with any comic, it's the style, the persona that really counts.

SNL is not her thing, though. They're not really misanthropic enough.

Are you saying you liked Minus Man, RK? 'Cos I actually really liked it.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RegularKarate

Quote from: godardian
Are you saying you liked Minus Man, RK? 'Cos I actually really liked it.

Yeah, I enjoyed it quite a bit, it was one of those movies that I was looking forward to for a long time.  It had great people involved and a brilliant trailer.  

Maybe the movie didn't live up to the trailer, but it was still great.

Not everyone's taste though.  

It had great moments, like where Owen Wilson tells the junky (Sheryl Crow, right?) that he though a bear might have knocked over the trash can, then after all that goes down after that, his inner-monologue on the way back is "I wonder if a bear really did knock that trash can down".

one guy said he does not care what she says, its her style counts and ther other guy said he likes her for how she looks

notice nobody could come up with a example of her being funny

but its ok, shes not

eddie murphy in his prime was funny the greatest stand up to ever live , rodney dangerfield, bill murry and i am not talking about his wes anderson films which he does not play to his comedic strengths he is more or less playing a character

anyways back to the list, chris rock is funny, don rickles , dave chapelle is funny

let me give you a example of what comedy is something you guys couldnt do with janine

look for dave chapelle bit about 911, and how they play the tapes on tv its on kazzaa

that is one of the greatest moments in comedy history

" Ohh man dave died like a bitch"

godardian

Janine live, after removing her cap and revealing a new, very short haircut- with bangs?!?!

"Yeah, I got my haircut and I was gonna try to hide it with the hat, but you know... yes, this is a little pixieish for me. [Extremely deadpan and blase] I'm like Amelie. I'll steal your heart."

The way she said "I'll steal your heart" made it sound like she would break through your ribcage and reach into your chest for it.

To me, that's funny. Not to mention comparing herself to Amelie.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Quote from: godardianJanine live, after removing her cap and revealing a new, very short haircut- with bangs?!?!

"Yeah, I got my haircut and I was gonna try to hide it with the hat, but you know... yes, this is a little pixieish for me. [Extremely deadpan and blase] I'm like Amelie. I'll steal your heart."

The way she said "I'll steal your heart" made it sound like she would break through your ribcage and reach into your chest for it.

To me, that's funny. Not to mention comparing herself to Amelie.

name dropping hip movies to win over phoneys , i covered that already

chainsmoking insomniac

She's one of the most intelligent, fascinating and fucking funny actresses out there.  End of story.  
And SantaClauseWasABlackMan, you either get it or you don't.  :wink:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

godardian

Another really funny sketch was with Rachel Dratch and Christina Ricci starring in some kind of odd-couple Olsen twins movie. With kind of a Baby Jane vibe.
[/i]

SoNowThen

Okay, seriously, I don't mind Garofalo (mostly from her Larry Sanders stuff), but for fucks sakes, we're talking about a beautiful, sexy, witty woman here (and I mean Tina Fey), so fucking start a Garofalo thread, all you admirers, and we can chat about her in that.

This house here is for Tina lovin'.

Oh, and for the record: Colin Quinn... is fucking hilarious. Hilarious. One of the most respected stand-ups out there. He may not be the flashy, dominate a sketch, SNL style funny, but I think he (and really everybody else) was great on WU. And his delivery... deadpan heaven. Perfect timing.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: punchdrunk23She's one of the most intelligent, fascinating and fucking funny actresses out there.  End of story.  
And SantaClauseWasABlackMan, you either get it or you don't.  :wink:

what a fucking cop out, " you dont get it"

nothing to be gotten , she is one of those people , people name drop to look deep

im bored with this already, nothing is fasignating about her, she is a shitty little person who is always in a bad mood

good to know you find that fasignating, give me mya rudolph anyday

now she is fasignating and funny and smart and cool and everything great about comedy