The Last Black Man in San Francisco

Started by Nails9, March 21, 2019, 02:46:36 PM

Nails9

WKBB*I/S*NotTP*SSotCB*OS & r.i.p.b.m.

pete

don't watch the trailer it gives away too many moments.
I think this is one of those films where either you're simply charmed by it or it punches you in the guts. I knew the production too well (Joe's a good friend and the SF scene is tiny so I was around the film a lot) to feel the punch. Really curious to see how the board reacts. It's getting some wild reactions that I think surprises everyone involved - including apparently Daniel Day Lewis telling a theater usher in NYC how much he loved it.  It's a film that's entirely made of shots and moments that a studio producer would ask you to cut, and for that alone you should peep it. I know the trailer and the reviews aren't giving away "plot points" but I feel like movies like this one build up to and shape the scenes according to these single shots and sounds, which work like punchlines in a comedy, and the trailer gave away all the punchlines. Drive also did that for me - so if you were unaffected by Drive then maybe the trailer is safe for you to watch? anyways go see it!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sleepless

I've heard so much good stuff about this film. Looking forward to seeing it.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

WorldForgot

Beautiful film. Not one frame wasted. This is also the first time I've connected to the ARRI ALEXA Mini's typical mode of saturation/color profile. Their production team deserves props for designing each frame within a color profile that work WITH digital's typical orange/green sheen. On prestige TV or lamer films, this look comes out muddled, nearly grey or as if the digital were omitting a majority of color -- here it underscores the theme of willfulness, of pushing through our environment.

Its score, performances, and cinematography are stellar. I'm going to go the opposite route of Pete and include some stills with this post -- because their context will change so much depending on which of the two friends you're feeling for while you watch.

(Personal Shopper, Parasite, Last Black Man in San Francisco, Shasta shacking up with Mickey, Spahn Ranch, I'm becoming really attached to stories that emphasize the mobility of class within a "role" -- whether you're taking it up from family folklore or out of a gig, class-drag. Gonna start looking for these narratives Hi, Mom emphasizes this satirically...)

You're going to remember a handful of these characters once you've seen it. It's going to feel like a portrait of a city -- or like a photobook, where the melancholy of the photo on the right still seeps in some of the sweetness from the one on you just flipped from, though you'll never know what went on in the gap.

These aren't spoilers, but pages of THE LAST BLACK MAN IN SAN FRANCISCO as if it were a beautiful book you've found, flipping to photos out of their chronological order --
Spoiler: ShowHide

jenkins

felt um mesmerized by the tone. it sucked me in