Not to be a bother....

Started by Xeditor, January 22, 2003, 02:32:06 PM

Xeditor

I don't want to annoy anyone, but I have another idea.  I'm just trying to figure which is the best or if they are even good.  This one is similar to the last idea but not quite.  

Ok,  you have two characters...one good one bad.  The story is told from one's pov then the other character's pov.  Same story, diff views on it tho.  One character sees the other as evil, but the other charcter sees him as evil, and the audience feels for each one during their pov and hates the other.  I kinda got the idea from Beowulf. that was a classic epic, but then the book Grendel was written which was from the monster's pov.  In it, Beowulf is portrayed as evil and Grendel as good.  Well, tell me what you think.  Thnx again.
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

RegularKarate

Quote from: XeditorI don't want to annoy anyone, but I have another idea.  I'm just trying to figure which is the best or if they are even good.  This one is similar to the last idea but not quite.  

Ok,  you have two characters...one good one bad.  The story is told from one's pov then the other character's pov.  Same story, diff views on it tho.  One character sees the other as evil, but the other charcter sees him as evil, and the audience feels for each one during their pov and hates the other.  I kinda got the idea from Beowulf. that was a classic epic, but then the book Grendel was written which was from the monster's pov.  In it, Beowulf is portrayed as evil and Grendel as good.  Well, tell me what you think.  Thnx again.

That's funny, while I was reading the beginning of it, I was thinking that it was like Grendel.

Thing is, there are a lot of films like that... say Changing Lanes... You side with both halves of the conflict at different points.

Xeditor

QuoteThing is, there are a lot of films like that... say Changing Lanes... You side with both halves of the conflict at different points.

Ok, I see what you mean, but that's not at all what I had in mind.  Changing Lanes was showing two diff effects of one incident through each persons pov.  I want to show each pov of the exact same incident.  Just like in real life,  everybody has their own resons for doing something...be it good or bad.  In your own mind, you are ALWAYS right....to yourself that is.  But in movies, their is a defined good and bad, mostly from the good's pov, and usually, good wins.  I want to show each perspective to show the real life of good v. evil.  In a sense make the audience good and then bad thus making them respect both and understand that everyone has thier own reasons.  There's not a clearly defined line between good and evil.

Cinematically, I'll suppose it'll look like Back to the Future 2 where you see the exact same event as in the first, but in a completely diff point of view.

Did I make that too confusing?
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

Cecil

well its not a bad idea but its been done before many times

sphinx

Quote from: XeditorOk, I see what you mean, but that's not at all what I had in mind.  Changing Lanes was showing two diff effects of one incident through each persons pov.  I want to show each pov of the exact same incident.  Just like in real life,  everybody has their own resons for doing something...be it good or bad.  In your own mind, you are ALWAYS right....to yourself that is.  But in movies, their is a defined good and bad, mostly from the good's pov, and usually, good wins.  I want to show each perspective to show the real life of good v. evil.  In a sense make the audience good and then bad thus making them respect both and understand that everyone has thier own reasons.  There's not a clearly defined line between good and evil.

didn't that happen in 'heat'?   :wink:

ReelHotGames

Watch "Boomtown" on Sunday nights and you get this premise to a great extent, you see each persons side of what happens, through their POV, without the "good" and "evil" aspect.

If you have a good story, then tell it, use this premis, it's a great way to tell a story, look at "When we were soldiers" - they jump over to the vietnamese side and they're not "evil" doers, they're soldiers, just like the americans.

If you have a good story to tell, and the premise fits, tell it. Why not go simple, instead of some big idea,make it small, make it "simple". Instead of secret agents, or killer/thieves or cops and robbers why not make it something like resentful siblings in a step parent situation or guys who fall for the same girl, or an eviction, land lord and tenant. These are every day events and each have a side to the story.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Xixax

Michael's avatar looks like Ricky Jay.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

ReelHotGames

Good eye Xixax, it is Ricky jay, it's the image from his recent broadway show "Ricky Jay - On the Stem"

Xixax

Heh. I thought it was one of the actors from your movie (what with the cards and such)...
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

ReelHotGames

I did steal the design moderatly for the poster on the current episode (chapter two), but nothing as classic as RJ's mug there

BonBon85

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanRicky Jay is weird

I'm too scared to click on links on this board these days for fear of the goatse thing.

Thanks, xixax.

Xixax

WOO! I have single handedly ruined the internet for poor BonBon. So sorry.

This link, however, I certify to be 100% BonBon friendly...

Sleight of hand expert and actor Ricky Jay

Dec. 2, 2002

His new book is Dice: Deception, Fate & Rotten Luck. It's a collection of essays about the history of dice and the many ways of cheating at the game. The New York Times says of Jay, "He's a master's master." His other books include Learned Pigs & Fireproof Women and Jay's Journal of Anomalies. He's appeared in a number of David Mamet films and his one-man shows include Ricky Jay & His 52 Assistants and Ricky Jay: On the Stem.
[/size]

ReelHotGames

His dice book is FANTASTIC, I have a copy and it is beautifully photographed and RJ's essays are poetry in motion.

His other books are equally stellar, he is a gentleman and a scholar in the best senses of the words.

His most beautiful moment on film appears in Boogie Nights when John C Reilly performs the floating champagne glass and Jay nearly cracks up at the goofiness and how serious Reilly is at performing one of magics hokiest effects.

I was fortunate enough to see RJ interviewed on stage by author Michael Chabon (Wonderboys) and met them both after, as I saw a gentleman and a scholar.

Xixax

I was really shocked when someone told me that Ricky Jay was gay in real life. He would have *never* struck me as being gay. He's seems to me to be so un-gay that I still have trouble thinking of him with another guy.
[/size]