Greatest Films Ever

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2005, 04:32:21 PM

w/o horse

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: Losing the Horse:Oh wow.  That was really fancy, too.

That's over a year old and only 15 movies long, so if someone with seniority is down to sponsor I'm still down to help with my proposed 100 list idea.

more often than not you're a fucking smart ass. just thought i'd do you the favor of making you aware of how your tone is percieved, regardless of it's intent.

I am a smart ass.  Which should be fine, becaue as far as I can tell this board is full of smart asses, and we'll probably all get along fine once I stop calling you guys out and once you guys stop calling me out.  So take your helpful suggestion back and fuck yourself, or pm me and we'll talk about it without taking yet another topic off topic.

Also, I wasn't being a smart ass in that comment you quoted.  At all.  I'd say fifteen banners is fancy.

Also, if you're going to pm me, you should tell me what you're doing over the summer, because I live by LA.  Are you still in school, or are you working on anything, etc.  I'm always down for meeting a new filmmaker.  Meatball is heading out to the east coast soon I guess, so maybe we should all get together and try to make a Xixax film on DV before he leaves.  No that's actually a terrible idea.  I don't know, we'll think of something, if something needs to be thought of.  Tell me what the word is.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Alethia

thats an okay list, lotsa good titles.  more than a few fucking question marks on there, but whatever.   it's alright.    

their choices for best of the decade, however, are absolutely ridiculous.

and i would do a 100 favorites list, that'd be fun.  unless its been done here already (which i dont think it has)...i've already done it myself three or four times out of boredom with the latter end of senior year, which is slowly, slowly drifting away............

Pubrick

two kubricks are better than none. at least they didn't list clockworange, or kibill.
under the paving stones.

life_boy

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkMiller's Crossing is a strange one, why not Fargo or Barton Fink?

Quote from: Richard CorlissI for one still don't get Fargo, which seems to be about how the folks in Minnesota (the Coen's home state) talk funny and act criminally stupid.

grand theft sparrow

The credibility of the omissions would be more interesting than the credibility of what's on the list, I think.  Every one of those films has a valid reason to be on there but I'm more interested in the arguments for the glaring omissions, like the aforementioned 2001 and Apocalypse Now.  Or why only one Hitchcock?

If these guys want to do something original, they should rank every film ever made in one list.  Why stop at 100 when there are tens of thousands of films to choose from? Do 'em all!

soixante

Ever since AFI did the Top 100 Films, everyone else has to get into the act.

The new issue of GQ has an article about the 25 Best Bad Films of All Time, which is more interesting than Time's Top 100.  Atop GQ's list is Road House.
Music is your best entertainment value.

life_boy

Quote from: soixanteEver since AFI did the Top 100 Films, everyone else has to get into the act.

What I've never understood about AFI's top 100 was why did they do it in 1998?  Why couldn't they wait a couple of years until 2000 and then do the entire 1900's?  That has always bugged me.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Losing the Horse:I read that and then clicked back to make sure that indeed just one topic up from this one was a list topic started by you.

Lists are obviously interesting, and furthermore conversation can arise from them.

Care is a bit of an overkill, but hell, these guys made the lists for us to talk about and some of us did, 03 made a list and people talked about it, so we know for sure:  people talk about lists.
These kinds of gradiose all-time greatest lists (the ones widely published, at least) are usually compiled from a large mass of critics and somewhat important people. I was simply pointing out that people are assigning similar importance to this list compiled by two people.

(And comparing those kinds of lists with lists on a message board is kind of strange.)

Quote from: Losing the Horse:That's over a year old and only 15 movies long, so if someone with seniority is down to sponsor I'm still down to help with my proposed 100 list idea.
A 100 list would be nice, but it just wouldn't work with the number of votes we're likely to receive.

modage

listen to the critics discuss the list...

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

i want to see a thread of everyone's top 100 favorite films, i know many of you are anti-list, but it would be interesting to me to look through each one, personal favourites rather than argument and discussion of the cultural aspects and contradictions and flaws of what is in theatres now.   can we revive/create one, or will this create problems?

socketlevel

it would take a while to figure them all out.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

soixante

Off the top of my head, I would have Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane, It's A Wonderful Life, Sunset Blvd., Streetcar Named Desire, The Searchers, Singin' in the Rain, Touch of Evil, Psycho, Bonnie and Clyde, Point Blank, 2001, Rosemary's Baby, Midnight Cowboy, Easy Rider, MASH, Five Easy Pieces, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Carnal Knowledge, Straw Dogs, Dirty Harry, The Godfather, Deliverance, Mean Streets, American Graffiti, The Conversation, Shampoo, Barry Lyndon, Dog Day Afternoon, Taxi Driver, All The President's Men, Annie Hall, Deer Hunter, All That Jazz, Melvin and Howard, Tootsie, Star 80, This Is Spinal Tap, GoodFellas, The Player, Unforgiven, Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, Dazed and Confused, Pulp Ficton, Boogie Nights...

There are many others, and I haven't even figured out which foreign films to add.
Music is your best entertainment value.

grand theft sparrow

So we should all start working on this and then someone start the thread in a few months, giving everyone enough time to take into consideration every movie they've ever seen.

Pwaybloe

What's wrong with the current DEKAPENTICON?  

Is everyone just wanting "Dekapenticon x 6.6666666!!!"?

cowboykurtis

anyone see them on charlie rose last night?
...your excuses are your own...