3D or not 3D - Fad or Lasting technology?

Started by samsong, January 05, 2012, 01:57:33 PM

MacGuffin

Chinese censors cut Kate Winslet nude scene from Titanic 3D
State censors remove scene in which Rose models for Jack over fears audiences may try to touch actor's body
Source: Guardian

Chinese censors have excised the famous scene in which Kate Winslet poses naked from the new 3D version of Titanic over fears that audiences might reach out and try to touch the actor's body, says the Hollywood Reporter.

Titanic 3D opened with China's second-highest opening-day take ever, $7.3m, on Tuesday, but many filmgoers were disappointed to discover the James Cameron film was not quite what they remembered. An official at the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television said it had removed sections of the scene in which Leonardo DiCaprio's Jack paints Winslet's Rose in the nude "to avoid potential conflicts between viewers and out of consideration of building a harmonious ethical social environment". The official added: "Considering the vivid 3D effects, we fear that viewers may reach out their hands for a touch and thus interrupt other people's viewing."

Instead of seeing Winslet sprawled naked on a chaise longue, Chinese viewers got a head-and-shoulders close-up. One commenter wrote on the internet: "I waited 15 years to see 3D boobs, not a 3D iceberg."

Titanic 3D has also topped the UK box office chart, with £2.8m in ticket sales. But in Hong Kong, where it screened uncut, it was beaten by Chinese rom-com Love in the Buff which took $875,000 to Titanic's $594,000.

Meanwhile the power of Twitter has revealed that many UK filmgoers seeing Titanic for the first time were unaware that the movie was based on real-life events. "Is it bad that I didn't know the titanic was real? Always thought it was just a film: literally dont know what to say," tweeted one user. Other users responded: "You're kidding, right?" and "Yes, it's pretty bad I'm afraid."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

That scene was cut from the film's original release in India but was restored for the 3D release.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Ravi

Pubrick

because people still go to see 3D movies for some reason, even though we all know by now FOR CERTAIN that they are unnecessary and look like shit, i have compiled a definitive list of the only movies ever made that have been worth watching in 3D:

the only movies where 3D is not a complete waste of time/money
cloudy with a chance of meatballs
hugo
piranha 3D
tintin if you watch it with the sound off

that's it. please add any if you can verify that 3D was not a completely shit afterthought. seriously i'm starting to be embarrassed when people here still go see 2D movies in 3D.
under the paving stones.

JG

john carter felt like a pretty competent 3d movie, did anyone else even see it?

Reel

I think polka was the only one. I'm really regretting not seeing that on the big screen now, those battle scenes are gonna look measly on DVD. Anyways, did you hear that the reason it took Cabin in the Woods so long to come out ( it wrapped in '09 ) was because they were trying to convert it to 3D that whole time, against Goddard's wishes? Buncha zilches. I guess he shot it too dark for the 3D to even work.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Reelist on May 09, 2012, 12:24:21 AMAnyways, did you hear that the reason it took Cabin in the Woods so long to come out ( it wrapped in '09 ) was because they were trying to convert it to 3D that whole time, against Goddard's wishes? Buncha zilches. I guess he shot it too dark for the 3D to even work.

Not entirely true. MGM also filed for Chapter 11 and the film was shelved until their financial matters were settled.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

well, at least when mac points out your ignorance you always learn something.

rockergurl2011

I'm hoping it's a money making fad that's on it's way out soon!  :yabbse-angry:
"It's my life to destroy my own way".. Morrissey

Sleepless

Plenty of bad decisions being made trying to get people back into the theater. Apparently, the next big thing is 4D (seats that move throughout the movie). I'm not kidding. Hopefully, studios/distributors/cinemas will drop all this gimmicky shit before too much longer. If you want your blockbuster to be more immerse than the average popcorn flick? Shoot it in IMAX. What all your other movies to be awesome? Make sure they're not shit.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on May 09, 2012, 12:07:02 AM
please add any if you can verify that 3D was not a completely shit afterthought.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams worked in 3D. It captured the contours and spaces of the Chauvet cave.

I see about one or two 3D movies a year. I will for sure see The Hobbit in 3D, but I may see Prometheus in 2D, since it will be a darkly lit film. Not sure about the new Spider-man.

BB

I almost always try to avoid it. The only instances where I actually sought out a 3D screening were Avatar and Cave of Forgotten Dreams. In both cases I found the 3D tolerable, but neither film was considerably enhanced by it. While the 3D was thematically relevant, Hugo looked way better in 2D. The 3D in Coppola's Twixt was dopey as hell. All others I've seen (admittedly, not many) were retrofitted 3D afterthoughts and all were uniformly shit.

I think my experience with The Avengers was the last nail in my 3D coffin. If 3D is the only option, I won't be seeing the film in theaters. Which sucks, because I'd really like to see Prometheus, Gravity, and Life of Pi when they come out. 

RegularKarate

Quote from: Sleepless on May 09, 2012, 09:32:18 AM
the next big thing is 4D (seats that move throughout the movie). I'm not kidding.

I didn't read this article, but D-box is so old that it's already on the way out.  The theaters that tried it here a few years ago have already stopped selling tickets to it.  People don't like it.  It's not the next big thing.

48fps will be the thing they try next and from what I gather, like 3-D, it's best saved for things like documentaries. 

Imax seems the way to go, but there just aren't enough Imax theaters to make studios feel comfortable with that.  Too bad.

polkablues

D-box is moderately fun for the right type of movie.  Not immersive, but fun regardless.  Its biggest issue is the name, which you may or may not have noticed sounds like D-bag.
My house, my rules, my coffee