Roger Ebert

Started by filmcritic, June 18, 2003, 11:33:11 AM

cine

i love how twitter is bringing out the unusually bitter soundbytes in us.

Quote from: Cinematical
His film commentary track on the Citizen Kane DVD is worth the price of the disc alone.

Quote from: Roger Ebert, 2010
Avatar for Best Picture? Give me a fucking break.

pete

I don't think he's a polarizing figure.  everyone loves him.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on February 16, 2010, 08:42:18 PM
I don't think he's a polarizing figure.  everyone loves him.

everyone except your fellow hex-maker

under the paving stones.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

that man's a total pussy.
he made a hex in PUBLIC, and unlike the hexes I or most of us make - it actually fucking came true - like the whole world saw the power of his voodoo, but then he had to like apologize and take it back, which didn't even matter because his hex came true and he gave ebert all this misery just because ebert shat on his film that no one would've remembered otherwise.  so he's like benefitting both from the added longevity of his film and the proof that he's got true voodoo behind his short-lived media darling status, and he dares to take it back!  How dare he betray his super powers.  I wish I had his hex powers so I could hex him for being so afraid of his goddamn power.
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Did Vincent Gallo really give Roger Ebert cancer?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

mogwai

Quote from: Stefen on February 17, 2010, 04:15:56 AM
Did Vincent Gallo really give Roger Ebert cancer?

Yes, in reward gave Ebert Vincent Gallo's film career cancer.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Roger Ebert plans to produce new movie review show

CHICAGO - Roger Ebert says he and his wife are going ahead with plans to produce a new movie review television program with the working title "Roger Ebert presents At the Movies."

The famous movie reviewer wrote Thursday on his Chicago Sun-Times blog that he can't give details, but they're "deeply involved" in talks. Ebert says they've held video tests with potential hosts and they know who they will use. He says the new show would have a strong presence online.

The Pulitzer Prize-winning reviewer writes that he would like to make "occasional appearances" on the air. Ebert lost his ability to speak after cancer surgery.

Ebert also writes: "the Thumbs will return," referring to the well-known "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" reviews.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

At the Movies has been canceled so this is good news because toward the end, the two hosts helming it were decent. Their names elude me now and my lazy bone is kicking in to even check who they were, but they were real critics who felt competent at handling the words they were trying to say. Ben Lyons had to search for any jargon he could muster to defend some of the movies he liked.

MacGuffin

Ben Kingsley to Roger Ebert: Video games are SO Art
Source: SciFi Wire

Roger Ebert's been on a tweeting/blogging bent saying video games are not art. I mean, geez, you don't have to play them, but why so harsh?

Well, some bona fide artists are jumping to defend video games now. Oscar-winner Sir Ben Kingsley, who stars in the movie version of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, says video games are a new form of art worthy of his own mad acting skills.

"I think it's a beautiful field of work for graphic designers, inventors, actors, technicians," Kingsley said in an exclusive interview by phone on May 18. "I have voiced a video game very recently, and I so enjoyed bringing that character to life and all the choices that he has in this game."

Just imagine Sir Ben sitting in a dark room hunched over an Xbox controller. Kingsley admits he doesn't play games himself. He just knows art when he sees it. "I don't play video games," Kingsley said. "Prior to Prince of Persia, I was on the set with Mr. Scorsese filming Shutter Island, so I had no time, for better or worse, I had no time to indulge myself in the video game."

Still, Sir Ben doesn't have to be a gamer. He did agree to do the movie, and movies are a different art form. When you hire Sir Ben, you want him to bring Sir Ben to the movie.

"I did my own thing," Kingsley continued. "I felt it better to do that than to try to bring to it baggage that I'm perhaps not very adept with. I just read the script, really appreciated the character of Nizam through that screenplay, with his nephews and his brother and his lust for power. I really enjoyed reading it and acting it on my own. I think most of my fellow actors in the film felt the same, that it was a chance to reinvent something for ourselves."

Prince of Persia creator Jordan Mechner, designer of the original Apple II side-scrolling game, was involved with the production of the movie. He responded to Ebert's criticisms in an online junket on May 8.

"I think video games, whatever Roger Ebert may think, are an art form in their own right, but they're an art form you have to play to experience," Mechner said. "Whereas movies are watched. Those two things are very different. It's a very different kind of relationship between the player or the viewer and the storytelling."

Mechner was happy with the conversion of his baby from playable art to watchable entertainment. He shared his kudos with Sir Ben. "Jordan loved seeing it all come to life, the inventor of the great video game," Kingsley said. "Jordan was with us sometimes on the set. He was with us at the premiere. He's so happy with how it's all turned out."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

haha, what an easy target.

poor ebes is obviously just scared of technology, he's always been this way.. his 3D rant comes from the same place. it surprises me he even knows how to blog.

this is an easy target for the prince of persia ppl cos it seems to be a co-ordinated attack. why is Sir King and the creator of the thing bringing it up in two separate occasions unless it was planned. Sir Bentley yesterday in a phone interview and the other douche in an press junket may 8th.. did they plan to bring up this in anticipation that the film is NOT gonna get reviewed nicely and that Ebert, being the most vocal popular critic right now, is doing it cos he doesn't like GAMES.

it's an easy target cos OBVIOUSLY ebes is wrong about that. Benjamin Kingsly the Sir is obviously defending the medium cos it pays the bills (as the article explains, he voiced some game in one of his infamous "i'll say yes to anything that's offered to me" career moves), and the other dude CREATED the game. something's fishy here and i think it's the Prince of Pisces.
under the paving stones.

pete

he'd already somewhat backed down from the argument.  he'd written a lot about it.  he said he just liked saying "it will never be art" while know that he might be swayed.
but yes, he was against video projection and this and that.
- Buster Keaton

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

what the fuck was that?

anyway, i'd hate to be around when mutinyco starts boasting about THIS to everyone.

(remember when he used to do that? pete does.)
under the paving stones.