-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

cowboykurtis

i saw angel heart a few months ago -- didnt live up to the hype. there were some wonderful moments. it had a really nice atmosphere. i just thought the ending was a bit hoaky.
...your excuses are your own...

dufresne

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
There are shadows in life, baby.

RegularKarate

Quote from: dufresnePlanes, Trains and Automobiles.

What?

Ernie

Quote from: ewardi think the first forty-five minutes are brilliant, then it just turns into shit

I actually think it gets better after the whole testicular cancer thing, I didn't really like that whole thing...with the "bitch tits" and everything, that I did not like. I really like everything after that, after he meets Tyler and everything, all that stuff is great. It's a cool movie, just overrated.

Alethia

see, i started to really not like it once the fight club aspect of it actually went underway -- although i will say that the "pick a fight, and lose it" sequence was very funny.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: ebeaman69
Quote from: ewardi think the first forty-five minutes are brilliant, then it just turns into shit

I actually think it gets better after the whole testicular cancer thing, I didn't really like that whole thing...with the "bitch tits" and everything, that I did not like. I really like everything after that, after he meets Tyler and everything, all that stuff is great. It's a cool movie, just overrated.

yeah, im not really a fan of the Bob having breasts thing, I didnt really find it that interesting or funny. It sounded like something me and my friends would joke about in Jr High.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeaman69I actually think it gets better after the whole testicular cancer thing, I didn't really like that whole thing...with the "bitch tits" and everything, that I did not like. I really like everything after that, after he meets Tyler and everything, all that stuff is great. It's a cool movie, just overrated.

Quote from: Duck Sauceyeah, im not really a fan of the Bob having breasts thing, I didnt really find it that interesting or funny. It sounded like something me and my friends would joke about in Jr High.

And you guys don't see that that was the point? Bob having women's appendages, or rather, overly-emphasized parts that couldn't have made him any less like a man. Because they are tits, they are out there for the whole world to see. He was a body builder before; the ultimate manly man. Fight club was a way for Bob to feel like a man again and be accepted by his peers. Look at how giddy Bob gets when he finally admits to Narrator/Jack that he found a better place than the cancer meetings. He's bonding with men that, outside of fight club, would make fun of him...just like jr. high kids would. Bob is the one who needed fight club the most.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

bob may have needed fight club, but not me... :wink:

but i will say i do like fincher -- the game and se7en were good, can't say i cared much for panic room or alien 3 tho

i'd like to see him go in a completely different direction filmwise, see what other kinds of things he can churn out

dufresne

Quote from: RegularKarate

What?

http://us.imdb.com/Details?0093748

one of the best comedies i've seen.
There are shadows in life, baby.

RegularKarate

Quote from: dufresne
Quote from: RegularKarate

What?

http://us.imdb.com/Details?0093748

one of the best comedies i've seen.

Right... I was wondering why you posted it in a thread called Not so Classic Classics.  Especially if you liked it.

MacGuffin

The 20 Most Overrated Movies of All Time?
We let our staff at Premiere Magazine go at each other regarding some of the more beloved movies of all time in our September issue.

It happens to everyone who loves movies: You’re in a conversation at a bar, or at a wedding, or online, and someone begins rhapsodizing about one of their favorite movies and you can’t help but say, “Uh, that movie sucks. It’s totally overrated.” How two perfectly well-balanced individuals can have such drastically different views of the same film is one of the great wonders of being a film fanatic. It happens to us at Premiere all the time, enough so that sometimes we find ourselves questioning who we work with (boy, did it get ugly here when Love, Actually came out, and some of us are still snickering over our boss’s love for Bowfinger, not to mention his affection for The Last Samurai). Well, we decided to put this phenomenon on the page in our September issue. We let our staff go at each other regarding some of the more beloved movies of all time, and, sure enough, sobbing can still be heard coming from the bathroom stalls. Relationships have been strained. Egos bruised.

2001: A Space Odyssey
A Beautiful Mind
American Beauty
An American In Paris
Chariots Of Fire
Clerks
Chicago
Easy Rider
Fantasia
Field Of Dreams
Forrest Gump
Gone With The Wind
Good Will Hunting
Monster's Ball
Jules And Jim
Moonstruck
Mystic River
Nashville
The Wizard Of Oz
The Red Shoes
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Interesting to see nashville on that list
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Myxo

Of the films I have seen on this list..

So not overrated.. (The folks at Premiere are smokin crack)

American Beauty
Chariots Of Fire
Fantasia
Field Of Dreams
Gone With The Wind
Good Will Hunting
The Wizard Of Oz (Especially this! What the fuck? Might as well say Mozart was overrated too.)

Overrated..
A Beautiful Mind
Forrest Gump
Clerks

How did Monster's Ball even get recognized for this list?

Films which are generally loved/acclaimed but I don't care for..
TITANIC (Worst popular film of the 90s, hands down..)
Spartacus
Chinatown
Gladiator
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Finding Neverland

Brazil

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin
A Beautiful Mind
American Beauty
An American In Paris
Chariots Of Fire
Clerks
Chicago
Easy Rider
Fantasia
Field Of Dreams
Forrest Gump
Gone With The Wind
Good Will Hunting
Monster's Ball
Jules And Jim
Moonstruck
Mystic River
Nashville
The Wizard Of Oz
The Red Shoes
they're right except for nashville, fantasia, the red shoes and 2001 obviously.

and myxo, WARNING: i'm about to disagree with u..
Quote from: MyxoSo not overrated.. (The folks at Premiere are smokin crack)
American Beauty
The Wizard Of Oz (Especially this! What the fuck? Might as well say Mozart was overrated too.)
the wizard of oz is NOT the mozart of film, when mozart can be compared to a single popular film in ppl's minds, it becomes automatically overrated, if only as an insult to mozart. that's the point i think they're making.

Quote from: MyxoFilms which are generally loved/acclaimed but I don't care for..
i'm finding it hard to think of a more hardcore invalidation than that. modage with barry lyndon comes close..
under the paving stones.